Mrs. Minor wants a convertible

Started by Morris Minor, December 19, 2010, 08:51:49 PM

68_427

Used Jag XK, Saab 9-3, or G37 if you can justify it.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Cookie Monster

I still think the Miata soft top or PRHT is the best. You can get a very nicely optioned (hell, close to fully loaded) Miata for under $30k, plus it's loads of fun and has a decent trunk for what it is. Plus it gets great mpg's and is probably cheaper to maintain and more reliable than anything else on your list.

If you also decide on the 6AT, it's supposed to be a great transmission as well. Plus the manuals have very light clutches and in traffic is easy to drive.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: thecarnut on December 20, 2010, 02:45:12 PM
I still think the Miata soft top or PRHT is the best. You can get a very nicely optioned (hell, close to fully loaded) Miata for under $30k, plus it's loads of fun and has a decent trunk for what it is. Plus it gets great mpg's and is probably cheaper to maintain and more reliable than anything else on your list.

If you also decide on the 6AT, it's supposed to be a great transmission as well. Plus the manuals have very light clutches and in traffic is easy to drive.

From what I've read, the auto's have more torque as well. I believe the Minors want a 4-seater, however.

Tave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 20, 2010, 03:16:52 PM

From what I've read, the auto's have more torque as well. I believe the Minors want a 4-seater, however.

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 19, 2010, 09:00:56 PM
Does not need to be a four seater - usable trunk is required.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

The backseats on most convertible four seaters are totally frivolous.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

I'd go with something like this.  The image doesn't do it justice.  I saw a bright red convertible at the local Ford dealer with white interior and top.  My jaw dropped

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CJ

Quote from: Laconian on December 20, 2010, 05:33:39 PM
The backseats on most convertible four seaters are totally frivolous.

I've ridden in the back of a C70 (Two days after my knee surgery, actually) and it was plenty comfortable and spacious.  Had enough room for my crutches and more than enough room for my heavily bandaged knee.  I was sitting behind someone who's around 6 feet tall and felt that it was big enough for someone of my height.  Granted, I am a bit short at 5'7".

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: the Teuton on December 20, 2010, 01:18:59 PM
You could probably get a CPO 2007 or 2008 Jag XK for under $40k if new doesn't necessarily matter.

If that's the case then you could look at all the options available which have been relatively unused.

You could find the C70, 9-3, or Eos at great prices with less than 20k on them.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

SJ_GTI

My personal choice would be a 1-series convertible (the Z4 has become too weird looking, and the 3-series convertible, while nice, just doesn't seem that much better). However based on your description of what you are looking for (ie: daily driver that is more fashion statement than sports car) I would go with the 9-3 convertible. Its a beautiful car, classic yet stylish (ie: won't go "out of style" any time soon), FWD is familiar for most folks, and the soft top will be far less fussy than the hard tops of the Eos or C70. That being said the Eos and C70 would be the next two cars I would recommend if Mrs. Minor doesn't like the Saab.

Laconian

I'll have my impressions on the A5 cabrio in a few weeks (coworker should be taking delivery any day now...

...actually, he called in sick today...

hmmm...)

Tave

Quote from: CJ on December 20, 2010, 05:54:24 PM

I've ridden in the back of a C70 (Two days after my knee surgery, actually) and it was plenty comfortable and spacious.  Had enough room for my crutches and more than enough room for my heavily bandaged knee.  I was sitting behind someone who's around 6 feet tall and felt that it was big enough for someone of my height.  Granted, I am a bit short at 5'7".

It's a Volvo. I'm surprised the hand of God didn't descend from heaven and heal your knee on the spot.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2010, 07:38:59 PM
It's a Volvo. I'm surprised the hand of God didn't descend from heaven and heal your knee on the spot.

I've already tried talking him into getting a Benz  :lol:

omicron

omicron

And, for the love of Bacon, a C70? We may as well wish a blancmange upon poor Mr. Minor.

Morris Minor

I think I may be able to swing a used (off lease) 335i convertible. I know the stereotype that only gentleman's appendages drive BMWs, but they do get good reviews and a car from the Fatherland would be a good fit for my sauerbraten & sp?tzle-eating Wisconsonian wife.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

The Pirate

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 23, 2010, 11:06:23 AM
I think I may be able to swing a used (off lease) 335i convertible. I know the stereotype that only gentleman's appendages drive BMWs, but they do get good reviews and a car from the Fatherland would be a good fit for my sauerbraten & sp?tzle-eating Wisconsonian wife.

Is the base engine significantly less expensive?  If so, and if Mrs. Minor doesn't need or want the extra power, that would be the way to go.  All the goodness of that platform still exists in the 328i.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

I've heard rumblings about the fuel pump in the *35s being a regular cause of expensive failures.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Laconian on December 23, 2010, 08:19:18 PM
I've heard rumblings about the fuel pump in the *35s being a regular cause of expensive failures.

I know a guy at the gym who dumped his BMW for that reason. He then got a Porsche. It is now on its 3rd water pump since he's owned it. What is it with Germans and not being able to make cars that don't have water pump failures every oil change?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Morris Minor

Well, Mrs. Minor's 82-year-old mother, who lives in Northeastern WI, just got in to spend Christmas with us. She has decided to sell her 2008 128i convertible (40,000 miles, red w/ red interior) because it does not deal well with the snow & ice. (see: http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=23854.0). I told her to get a set of snow tires and have the dealer store them for her out of season. But I think she wants something less sporty and she has always found the Beemer's automated gizmos a little challenging.

So this might be a possibility. I'm a bit leery of major financial transactions within families...

omicron

Excuse me - 82-year-old Mother-In-LA-Law Minor drives a 128i with iShift and BalanceDrive, whereas Son Minor suffers an Eternity I30 and Honda Stewardess?

Unthusiast. :nono:

Morris Minor

Quote from: omicron on December 24, 2010, 07:29:09 AM
Excuse me - 82-year-old Mother-In-LA-Law Minor drives a 128i with iShift and BalanceDrive, whereas Son Minor suffers an Eternity I30 and Honda Stewardess?

Unthusiast. :nono:

Yes, yes I know. Mrs. Minor's mom is something else: a woman of means who has, since I have known her, always owned red convertibles.

ifcar

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 24, 2010, 07:52:14 AM
Yes, yes I know. Mrs. Minor's mom is something else: a woman of means who has, since I have known her, always owned red convertibles.

What did she have before the 1-Series?

Morris Minor

Quote from: ifcar on December 24, 2010, 07:54:14 AM
What did she have before the 1-Series?

A Chrysler PT Cruiser; that was a disaster.
Before that, a series of VW Golfs.
Before that, Beetle convertibles.

My guess is that she'll go back to to VW & get a red on red Eos.

Mustangfan2003

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mustangfan2003

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Mustangfan2003

My mom drives a Trailblazer and I tell her all the time that thing sucks. 

Colonel Cadillac