NEW ALFA ROMEO 159

Started by vanswan, September 13, 2005, 09:25:11 AM

vanswan

So you've got about 20k in your pocket for a new car but don't know what you want, I asked myself this question when I went to Goodwood last month, then I saw the Alfa Romeo tent and lined up next to the new Brera was the class of car I wanted. The new Alfa 159, I took a seat inside, loads of space, smooth curves, looked expensive in leather and still something I can take the kids out in, what surprised me most was the huge 3.2 V6 engine with four wheel drive.

The Italians seem to have finally cracked the balance between a durable family car and a car that looks luxurious, not something I've seen in a car in that price range.

What do you think?  

Raza

20K Euros?  Pounds?  

The 159 is a nice, nice car, and I've always liked Alfas, especially the last 156 and the 147 GTA.  I don't know how they drive, obviously, since they aren't sold here in America, but I'm told they're fairly fun.

I'd also look into the Audi A3, sportback or five door 3.2 Quattro.  

Oh, right...welcome to the forums!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Champ

Yes welcome, I posted in another version of this, so to sum it up:  Post some pics and specs, I did a little research of my own and the car looks handsome.  I didn't see any specs though.

TBR

I believe the version he is talking about has a 3.2l V6 that is based on GM's 3.6l DOHC V6 found in the CTS. It makes about 250 hp and features an AWD system that has a 50/50 split. It is sort of like an Italian A4 3.2

TurboDan

I believe the plans to bring this car to the U.S. in the next couple years is now solidified, after so many years of setbacks.

Raghavan

QuoteI believe the version he is talking about has a 3.2l V6 that is based on GM's 3.6l DOHC V6 found in the CTS. It makes about 250 hp and features an AWD system that has a 50/50 split. It is sort of like an Italian A4 3.2
no, the 4wd is a 43/57 split.

Raza

What's with the door handles?

vs.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteI believe the version he is talking about has a 3.2l V6 that is based on GM's 3.6l DOHC V6 found in the CTS. It makes about 250 hp and features an AWD system that has a 50/50 split. It is sort of like an Italian A4 3.2
Its AWD, but the 50/50 was from memory, so  I am not surprised that it was wrong.

Raghavan

Its AWD, but the 50/50 was from memory, so  I am not surprised that it was wrong.
i know it's AWD, but 4WD sounds cooler. :praise:  

BMWDave

i know it's AWD, but 4WD sounds cooler. :praise:
Yet AWD and 4WD are very different systems...

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

Goddamn that is one sexy car.

If this comes to the states in 2 years this will be my next car.

PS. I call my car "four wheel drive" most of the time, not "all wheel drive."

BMWDave

Goddamn that is one sexy car.

If this comes to the states in 2 years this will be my next car.

PS. I call my car "four wheel drive" most of the time, not "all wheel drive."
Yet they are very different systems.  But who cares :P  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

93JC

QuoteI call my car "four wheel drive" most of the time, not "all wheel drive."
Does your car have a low range?

Hence it's all-wheel drive.  :praise:  

Run Away

You can have 4WD without a low range IMO...
AWD=all four wheels dirven at all times
4WD=RWD until a switch is pushed or a lever is pulled that engages the front wheels

93JC

Hmm... a decent description...

What about full-time 4WD vehicles, like a Jeep with Selec-Trac: it can be left in either RWD or 4WD all the time.

Raghavan

do you guys consider 4wd that powers the front wheels until the rears are needed real 4wd, or just a POS?

Laconian

I dunno, I think Rag's onto something. Maybe the term is dependent on the platform in which it is installed.

Or...

AWD:
* in cars where FWD is default?
* in cars where central diffs are controlled electronically or via tricky stuff like fluid viscosity?
* optionally "full time"?
* a car term?

4WD:
* present in RWD default platforms?
* mechanically actuated?
* "low" gearing option?
* a truck term?

zuh? Surely there must be some SAE official definition somewhere?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

Quotedo you guys consider 4wd that powers the front wheels until the rears are needed real 4wd, or just a POS?
No, 4wd requires pushing a button or pulling a lever to be activated, all FWD based systems work automatically.

SJ_GTI

I call my car four wheel drive for two reasons: One, it is propelled by four wheels. Two, its seems more natural to say four wheel drive rather than all wheel drive.