Edmunds Inside Line: 2011 BMW 550i vs. 2011 Infiniti M56 Comparison Test

Started by cawimmer430, December 28, 2010, 10:06:50 AM

cawimmer430

2011 BMW 550i vs. 2011 Infiniti M56 Comparison Test

When it comes to respectability in the midsize sport sedan segment, all roads lead through BMW's 5 Series. It's been ruling this class for decades now, and for good reason. It has the uncanny ability to satisfy both driving enthusiasts and buyers who are simply looking for a luxury sedan with German cachet.

Now that the all-new twin-turbo 2011 BMW 550i is here, it was time to see just how well it stacks up against its newest competitors. But instead of going toe-to-toe with a classic European rival, we figured a match-up with the latest from Japan would be more interesting. For that we turned to the all-new 2011 Infiniti M56, a thoroughly redesigned sedan that is once again aiming for the Germans. It has all the makings of a worthy competitor, but how does it hold up on the road?

How They Stack Up
Not surprisingly, the 2011 BMW 550i and 2011 Infiniti M56 have plenty of similarities. Both are rear-drive sedans powered by sizable V8s. In this case, both are hooked to automatic transmissions, a seven-speed in the Infiniti and an eight-speed in the BMW.

To make sure no one whines about "stacking the deck" in one car's favor, both the 550i and the M56 were outfitted with Sport packages. The Infiniti's $3,650 option adds a stiffer suspension with upgraded springs and shocks, larger brakes, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A summer performance tires on 20-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel active steer, paddle shifters, sport seats and a unique steering wheel and shift knob.

The BMW 550i had the benefit of both a Dynamic Handling package, which includes electronic damping control, active roll stabilization (active antiroll bars) and Adaptive Drive (allowing for specific chassis/drivetrain settings) for $2,700, as well as a $2,200 Sport package, which adds a sportier leather steering wheel, multicontour seats, special exterior trim, an increased top speed (limited to 150 mph) and ? surprisingly ? 19-inch Goodyear Excellence run-flat all-season tires.

Technology and luxury abound in these cars, the kind of niceties that make your drive safer (the BMW's standard adaptive cornering headlights) and more relaxing (Infiniti's standard heated and cooled front seats). Differences come in the form of which features each manufacturer supplies standard, and which ones they make you pay extra for ? as an example, you can get those adaptive headlights on the Infiniti, but it'll cost $3,000 as part of the Technology package; conversely, neither heated nor cooled front seats come standard in the BMW ? heated seats cost $500 (or could be part of a package), while seat cooling tacks on another $1,950-$2,950 depending on the package.

As you might have guessed, these are expensive sedans. The M56 starts at $58,765 with an as-tested price of $67,130, while the BMW is a few grand more. The 550i starts at $60,575 and our tester topped $70K with options.

What's the Motivation Here?
Turbocharged engines are quickly becoming the norm at BMW, and now the 550i is on board. Its direct-injected 4.4-liter twin-turbo V8 produces 400 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 450 pound-feet of torque from 1,750-4,500 rpm. Yes, that's a massive torque curve, but it comes at the expense of the old V8's rumbling exhaust. Now there's little more than a muted growl, and you can't even hear the turbos working their magic.

The 2011 Infiniti M56 uses cubic inches and plenty of revs to achieve its power. Its 5.6-liter V8 is good for 420 hp at 6,000 rpm and 417 lb-ft of torque at 4,400. It's no dinosaur, also utilizing direct-injection and variable valve timing and valve lift for a smooth, reasonably efficient power plant.

A little more driver involvement is required to get the most out of the M56's V8, though, as its power is concentrated at higher engine speeds. The Infiniti sounds more like a sport sedan than the BMW, especially when it approaches the 6,700-rpm redline.

By the Numbers
At our test track, the M56 was slightly quicker to 60 mph than the 550i, 5.0 to 5.2 seconds, respectively (4.7 and 4.9 seconds with a 1-foot rollout, as on a drag strip). So the BMW is slower, despite the fact that it's capable of getting a near-perfect amount of wheelspin off the line thanks to power-braking, something the Infiniti's brake-override system won't allow.

So how come the BMW is slower? Might have something to do with the extra 287 pounds of ballast the 4,380-pound 550i carries versus the M56. Seriously, what's a 5 Series doing weighing nearly 4,400 pounds? This is "EfficientDynamics?"

Weight aside, by the time the 550i hits the quarter-mile, its twin-turbo V8 inches the BMW ahead by 0.1 second (13.2 vs. 13.3); it's also traveling a lot faster at this point ? 108.3 mph against the Infiniti's 106.7.

A Shifty Pair
The BMW 550i comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission, but our test car was fitted with the no-cost-option eight-speed automatic. BMW says this new tranny's two additional ratios (over the old six-speed auto) come with no increase in size or weight.

It's a smooth operator in full automatic mode and easy to shift when you want to take control of the gears yourself. Not only does it shift in our preferred pattern (forward for downshifts, back for upshifts), it also blips the throttle when you grab a lower gear to match revs. It's not actually a true full manual mode, though, as a stomp on the gas will call up a multigear downshift. It doesn't hold gears either. If you hit the redline, you get the next cog whether you like it or not.

Infiniti offers just one transmission in the M56, a seven-speed automatic with four driver-controlled modes that affect transmission and throttle mappings. As with the BMW, leaving the center console shifter in "D" gives supremely smooth automatic shifting. But moving the center console lever toward the driver puts it in Manual mode, bringing the optional leather-covered, steering-column-mounted magnesium paddle shifters into play. The control is fully with the driver at this point, as the transmission will neither shift up nor down without consent from the paddle shifters. Downshift under braking and it rev matches, too.

These Are Sport Sedans, After All
With all of the BMW's high-techery, you'd think it would easily handle the Infiniti when the going gets twisty. Not so, especially in terms of instrumented testing. The M56 bested the 550i by 1.2 mph through the slalom (66.7 vs. 65.5 mph, respectively) while generating 0.89g around the skid pad against the BMW's so-so 0.84g.

The blame for the 550i's less-than-stellar performance doesn't lie purely with its all-season tires either, as they provided enough grip for it to stop almost as well as the M56 ? just 1 foot longer from both 30 and 60 mph. The BMW's pedal felt stronger at the test track, but when pushing hard on back roads the Infiniti's optional ($370) high-friction brake pads felt more consistent.

More than anything, the 550i is simply too heavy and softly sprung for aggressive back-road driving. Even with the suspension at its stiffest setting, the 550i exhibited a surprising amount of understeer, while the 5's electric power steering feels artificial. You can still flog the 550i, but you won't feel completely in touch with the car.

The Infiniti isn't spot-on either. Its variable-assist steering, combined with the optional four-wheel active steering (the rear wheels are turned in phase with the front wheels, depending on vehicle speed and steering angle), makes for overly quick turn-in at low to medium speeds, alarmingly so at times.

But it's clear the driver seat of the Infiniti is the place to be when you pick up the pace on any kind of curvy road. The M56's steering becomes more and more natural as speeds increase, while the stiff suspension soaks up turns, if not bumps, with ease. The whole M56 experience, from its quick steering to its stiff suspension, is a bit on the frenetic side, but it's more engaging than the vague BMW.

There is one area where the BMW trumps the Infiniti on the fun scale ? powerslides. Now, the average enthusiast may not find this very relevant, but in the right hands the BMW's electronic limited-slip rear differential does allows you to utilize the twin-turbo V8's prodigious low-end torque to induce some wicked corner exits. And that's all we'll say about that.

When You're Not Laying Rubber
Our enthusiasm for the Infiniti drops slightly the moment the road gets bumpy, or basically any time you're just driving from A to B. The M56's stiff, nonadjustable suspension makes the average commute tiresome and unnecessarily jumpy. The tire and road noise is also a bit much for a luxury sedan, too. Basically, this car reminds you that you bought the Sport package every time you drive it.

The BMW, on the other hand, is always plush and serene. The same sedan that can execute tire-smoking powerslides can also tame mangled city streets. We would still prefer more steering feedback, but the trade-off is slightly less sawing at the wheel during normal driving. It's still a sport sedan, but one you can live with.

No Cabin Fever Here
When you pay around $70,000 for a luxury sport sedan, you expect to be coddled, and neither car disappoints. Both are extremely comfortable places to spend time, the BMW's front seats getting the nod for their width and comfort, the Infiniti's for lateral support.

The M56's rear seat is more plush, while the BMW has more headroom. Fine leather and wood abound, as do such niceties as power rear window shades and excellent navigation systems, the BMW in particular boasting an impressive 10.2-inch transreflective screen that becomes easier to see in direct sunlight ? the exact opposite of many systems.

In general the BMW's controls have better detents and are more ergonomic, while the Infiniti's are easier to decipher from the moment you sit in the car. And yes, iDrive Version 4 can still be a bit nonintuitive.

When it comes to interior design, though, the Infiniti has a more interesting take on luxury. The mix of materials in the M56 is more modern and stylish without looking overdone. The 550i has plenty of high-quality stuff; it's just on the sterile side.

And the Winner Is...
As athletic and well-mannered as the Infiniti is on back roads, the BMW 550i squeezed out a win by 2.2 points. Why?

The BMW 550i is simply a better all-around sedan. Infiniti may have figured out the sport sedan piece of the formula, but BMW is better at making a sport sedan that you can live with. We like a tightly wound sedan as much as the next enthusiast, but we don't want to be reminded of the car's capabilities every time we head to the office. It's a fine line for sure, but one the Infiniti still needs to work on.

With the 550i, you get the refined driving experience along with plenty of sport sedan capability. Should it weigh less? Yes. Would we prefer more precise steering? Yes again. The new 5 Series is by no means perfect, but it still puts all the pieces together in a way that makes it feel like a proper luxury sport sedan. The Infiniti is close, but the BMW is already there.

Link: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/5-series/2011/2011-bmw-550i-vs-2011-infiniti-m56-comparison-test.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Meh - I'd choose the M56 - looks better, better motor, more reliable.

sportyaccordy

Strange

BMW pretty much had it perfect with their old analog front strut/rear Z-axle/recirculating ball steering rack setup in the E39 540i/M5

Can't understand why they tried to fix something that was perfect

Also a bit goofy that these cars both (FWIU) have aluminum suspensions and huge ass wheels, but can't get the handling/ride balance right. Again, E39 w/its 17s & 18s had the right idea.

E39>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2010, 10:15:02 AM
Meh - I'd choose the M56 - looks better, better motor, more reliable.
How can you say the last two things when both cars are brand new + you haven't driven either

Better motor is highly subjective... for me it's a draw... the engineer in me likes the VVEL system in the Infiniti, but that's really of little consequence given the higher torque of the TT V8, and the marginal improvement of torque shown by the implementation of said VVEL system (and displacement) of the VQ37VHR over the VQ35HR

I'm really not crazy about either... just too big & consequently hard to place in the twisties, no matter what magazines say

the Teuton

So the BMW with a too-soft suspension, lousy tires, and numb steering beats the Infiniti?

This whole test is shit from the get-go. I agree with Sporty -- get me an E39, which weighs a remarkable 400-700 lbs. less than this car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

I saw an M56 yesterday...I've felt somewhat nauseous ever sense. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CJ

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 28, 2010, 10:31:38 AM
How can you say the last two things when both cars are brand new + you haven't driven either

Better motor is highly subjective... for me it's a draw... the engineer in me likes the VVEL system in the Infiniti, but that's really of little consequence given the higher torque of the TT V8, and the marginal improvement of torque shown by the implementation of said VVEL system (and displacement) of the VQ37VHR over the VQ35HR

I'm really not crazy about either... just too big & consequently hard to place in the twisties, no matter what magazines say

I can say those things, well, because I can.

I don't think it's highly subjective WRT the motors. Infiniti's motor is more powerful and is far less complex. And pretty much anyone will agree that the Infiniti on average will be a more reliable car based solely on the recent track records of both automaker (plus, c'mon, a $70k, TT V8 BMW???).

the Teuton

I'd like to add that I'd probably take an E60 5 Series over either of these cars...so Dave, if you're willing to trade for a car of plastic...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

My aunt has a 2010 550i and the thing's quick.  It rides a bit harsh, but I also had to pee really bad when I rode in it.

CJ

Urinate?  My bladder was full?  Made the ride seem rougher than it really was.  I'd had two venti white mochas that morning.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2010, 11:44:58 AM
I can say those things, well, because I can.

I don't think it's highly subjective WRT the motors. Infiniti's motor is more powerful and is far less complex. And pretty much anyone will agree that the Infiniti on average will be a more reliable car based solely on the recent track records of both automaker (plus, c'mon, a $70k, TT V8 BMW???).
BMWs have their idiosyncrasies for sure, but at the end of the day there's nothing new or even overly complex in the V8. VVEL is completely uncharted territory for Nissan.

Not sure what the prob is with the price. Name another 4 door legit 4 seat car w/a V8, RWD & stickshift. Hell, the count is just as singlehanded for RWD V6 sedans. Plus 10 yrs ago a 540 cost about the same (before inflation) w/much less to offer (on paper anyway).

hotrodalex

So they say the BMW's tires were almost as good just because the brake distances were almost the same? Maybe it just had better brakes... :facepalm:

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 28, 2010, 12:58:03 PM
So they say the BMW's tires were almost as good just because the brake distances were almost the same? Maybe it just had better brakes... :facepalm:

Seeing as either car's brakes are surely more than strong enough to lock up the tires, as is the case with 100% of the vehicles on the road today, the limiting factor when it comes to braking distance is how much grip the tires offer.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: the Teuton on December 28, 2010, 11:16:09 AM
So the BMW with a too-soft suspension, lousy tires, and numb steering beats the Infiniti?

This whole test is shit from the get-go. I agree with Sporty -- get me an E39, which weighs a remarkable 400-700 lbs. less than this car.

Its amazing how big and heavy cars are getting. When I drive my Audi if feels like I am driving a 5-series type of car. My old boss had (actually I think he still has) an E39 5-series (think it was a 528i) and it felt like it was about the same size as my S4.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 28, 2010, 12:55:58 PM
BMWs have their idiosyncrasies for sure, but at the end of the day there's nothing new or even overly complex in the V8. VVEL is completely uncharted territory for Nissan.

Nothing overly complex save for the fact it's a twin turbo BMW.

Not sure what the prob is with the price. Name another 4 door legit 4 seat car w/a V8, RWD & stickshift. Hell, the count is just as singlehanded for RWD V6 sedans. Plus 10 yrs ago a 540 cost about the same (before inflation) w/much less to offer (on paper anyway).

The point being BMWs have spotty reliability, especially their turbo motors, and $70k implies a bunch of gadetry (which the Germans don't do well at all).

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 28, 2010, 10:27:57 AM
Strange

BMW pretty much had it perfect with their old analog front strut/rear Z-axle/recirculating ball steering rack setup in the E39 540i/M5

Can't understand why they tried to fix something that was perfect

Also a bit goofy that these cars both (FWIU) have aluminum suspensions and huge ass wheels, but can't get the handling/ride balance right. Again, E39 w/its 17s & 18s had the right idea.

E39>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
:wtf: :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2010, 01:02:18 PM
Seeing as either car's brakes are surely more than strong enough to lock up the tires, as is the case with 100% of the vehicles on the road today, the limiting factor when it comes to braking distance is how much grip the tires offer.

I can lock up the brakes on my Saturn and El Camino. Doesn't mean they are as strong as modern brakes. You're also forgetting modern ABS systems. The BMW might allow the brakes to get closer to locking up than the Infiniti, providing more stopping power.

And I know tires have a lot to do with braking, but that doesn't mean the BMW still suffered from having all-seasons instead of summer tires like the Infiniti.

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 28, 2010, 02:58:19 PM
I can lock up the brakes on my Saturn and El Camino. Doesn't mean they are as strong as modern brakes.

And I know tires have a lot to do with braking, but that doesn't mean the BMW still suffered from having all-seasons instead of summer tires like the Infiniti.

If your Saturn and El Camino had the same tires as a modern car, then yes, they are as strong as modern brakes (ignoring things like weight distribution and suspension tuning that can affect braking distances slightly).  Maybe not as resilient to brake fad, but that's not the point.

I doubt your El Camino could lock up the tires at 70 mph with the same tires either of these cars are using.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 28, 2010, 02:58:19 PM
I can lock up the brakes on my Saturn and El Camino. Doesn't mean they are as strong as modern brakes. You're also forgetting modern ABS systems. The BMW might allow the brakes to get closer to locking up than the Infiniti, providing more stopping power.

I can guarantee you that if you put bigger/stronger/grippier brakes on either the BMW or the Infiniti, but left the tires the same as stock, and ran the braking tests again, the stopping distances would not improve.  The limitation is the tires, not the brakes.  I have no doubts that with summer tires and everything else being the same, the BMW's stopping distances would improve.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on December 28, 2010, 02:05:54 PM
:wtf: :lol:

It wasn't perfect perfect, but from what I understand all new BMWs use R&Ps, and yet the steering feel is worse. Granted, obviously, there's a lot going on besides the steering rack type, but I remember hearing the RB setup being less precise/ nice overall than the R&P

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

Quote from: CJ on December 28, 2010, 11:40:12 AM

It's horribly ugly.

It's as if they took a look at the goofy looking disaster that is the QX56 and said, "hey, that bloated, truckish front end would look fantastic on our new sports saloon!"  It's not quite as portly as my least favorite new car of the past 5 years (the Lincoln MKs) but it's almost as bad.  Shame, because otherwise, it seems as if it's a great vehicle. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2010, 03:11:42 PM
I can guarantee you that if you put bigger/stronger/grippier brakes on either the BMW or the Infiniti, but left the tires the same as stock, and ran the braking tests again, the stopping distances would not improve.  The limitation is the tires, not the brakes.  I have no doubts that with summer tires and everything else being the same, the BMW's stopping distances would improve.

I betcha they would improve stopping times with better brakes. Why would companies waste extra development dollars on better brakes if the tires were the only things that mattered?

And we've gotten off track. I originally brought this up because Edmunds is stupid to say the all-seasons are just as good as the Infiniti's summer rubber. In order to tell for sure, we would have to put the same tires on the BMW, but I don't have the resources to do so. But I bet the BMW simply has better brakes than the Infiniti, which leads to the close stopping distances, even with the tire disadvantage. But the chassis can't make up for it, leading to the worse performance in the handling tests.

Rich

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 28, 2010, 08:13:19 PM
I betcha they would improve stopping times with better brakes. Why would companies waste extra development dollars on better brakes if the tires were the only things that mattered?

heat dissipation and to fight brake fade
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Why does everyone always think the model that preceded nearly any new car is better than the model that replaces it? It's kind of annoying.

Rich

Quote from: 2o6 on December 28, 2010, 08:58:04 PM
Why does everyone always think the model that preceded nearly any new car is better than the model that replaces it? It's kind of annoying.

I didn't think that way until about 2005.  Just about the only 2 cars off the top of my head that I like better than their predecessors in the past few years are the 370Z and Mustang GT

Up until 2005, I'd always look forward to new model introductions.  And then they started to suck (with some exceptions)
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

I think the M56 is WAY better looking than the new 550i. WAY better. It's a stunner with those 20" wheels.