I think if LL has shown anything, it's that weight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> power

68_427

I'm still pretty impressed with the cobalt at a 3:13
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

I'm impressed by the Mustangs, the Corvette, and the Boxster, and unimpressed with the WRXs.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 31, 2010, 08:48:14 PM
faster than an STI!  LOL

Subaru puts a softer suspension on the STI than Mitsubishi puts on the Evo. The difference comes into play on dirt or soft terrain where the STI absolutely spanks the Mitsu.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on January 02, 2011, 10:25:24 PM
Subaru puts a softer suspension on the STI than Mitsubishi puts on the Evo. The difference comes into play on dirt or soft terrain where the STI absolutely spanks the Mitsu.
Ah, you mean it beats the Mitsubishi on 0.0000% of paved public roads.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on January 02, 2011, 10:34:59 PM
Ah, you mean it beats the Mitsubishi on 0.0000% of paved public roads.

Well, it does on the gravely ones.

Motor Trend did a winter weather comparo a few years back with a snow rallycross comparo. The lesbian wagon beat the shitty TV maker.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Xer0

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 02, 2011, 04:48:25 PM

I would also add a well sorted suspension to that too as seen by the Vette and IS-F.  But ya, agreed.

GoCougs

WRXs aren't so good from a roll - there are myriad Youtube links of WRXs getting beat from a roll by anything from a V6 Camrys to the 305 hp S197 Mustang GTs, and the higher the start speed the worse the WRX performance. Not sure if it's aerodynamics or Subaru AWD system has more drag than other systems or what, but yeah, poor mediocre track performance isn't a surprise.

the Teuton

Quote from: GoCougs on January 03, 2011, 12:26:31 AM
WRXs aren't so good from a roll - there are myriad Youtube links of WRXs getting beat from a roll by anything from a V6 Camrys to the 305 hp S197 Mustang GTs, and the higher the start speed the worse the WRX performance. Not sure if it's aerodynamics or Subaru AWD system has more drag than other systems or what, but yeah, poor mediocre track performance isn't a surprise.

But for those who think it is, Subaru will gladly sell you a 400 hp Cosworth version that will do 60 mph in 3.7 seconds...in England.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on January 03, 2011, 12:29:42 AM
But for those who think it is, Subaru will gladly sell you a 400 hp Cosworth version that will do 60 mph in 3.7 seconds...in England.
Fuck England.

r0tor

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 02, 2011, 04:48:25 PM

I think it shows power is king at vir -shrug-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on January 03, 2011, 12:29:42 AM
It will still trap in the low 90s though

Nethead

Quote from: SVT666 on January 02, 2011, 02:05:51 PM
Motor Trend had a head to head comparo between the Mustang GT and the M3 Coupe Competition.  With the author of the article behind the wheel the Mustang finished half a second ahead of the M3 and with a pro driver behind the wheels,t he M3 beat the Mustang by 0.09 seconds on a lap of Willow Springs.  Same drivers, same day, same conditions.

SVT666:  The Braying Ass has ignored that same day, same drivers (one a pro), same track comparo, so it did not happen.  Got it? :heated:
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 13, 2011, 11:16:26 AM
SVT666:  The Braying Ass has ignored that same day, same drivers (one a pro), same track comparo, so it did not happen.  Got it? :heated:
What I found most interesting is that in the hands if the author ofnthe article, the Mustang was faster than the M3 Competition.  It was essentially tied in the hands of the Pro driver.

Nethead

Quote from: hotrodalex on December 31, 2010, 11:34:25 AM
...by .2 seconds. Basically a tie.

hotrodalex:  Yeah, pretty much...the difference is about twenty-three-and-a-half feet per lap, which is something over a one car length advantage for the GT500.  But then the Cadillac cost just under $16,000 more than the GT500 as tested, which gets you 414 more pounds of car than you get in the GT500.  If we knew what the $4995-over-base options in the CTS-V Coupe were, we could see if they were fluff that added weight.  I mention this only because the GT500 was only $340 over base as tested which was probably the charge for the stripes so we know the GT500 had no fluff.  

Great comparo!  I wish they had deactivated the V6 Mustang's speed limiter so it wouldn't have been limited to 114 MPH for fifteen seconds per lap!  C&D thinks that mighta gotten its lap times under the Nissan Z's times, and that's fast company for these bucks ($28,690 for the Mustang V6 as tested):
"We have little doubt that it could have unseated the co?class-champ 2006 Nissan 350Z Track if the Ford hadn?t been equipped with a 114-mph governor, which the car banged into for more than 15 seconds per lap."

Last year, the Camaro SS 6.2L lapped in 3:09.5 and this year the $28,690 Mustang 3.7L V6 lapped in 3:12.5 while hitting its speed limiter for over 15 seconds per lap.  I'm not thinkin' that deactivating the speed limiter would have increased top speeds sufficiently to gain three seconds per lap, since the speed limiter was in effect for less than sixteen seconds ("more than 15 seconds" is presumably less than sixteen seconds, but not necessarily so...).  It would be tough physics to compute the speed needed to be attained in those roughly fifteen seconds in order to lap at 3:09.5 or less.  But an EcoBoost V6 Mustang would shatter 3:09.5 easily (sans the 114 MPH limiter, of course!) and might push the Mustang GT's 3:08.6 really, really hard...

Interesting...

Tave

Quote from: the Teuton on January 02, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

:hesaid:

The STi is optimized for rally conditions. The STi does the job it was supposed to, the Mitsu sacrifices a little bit in exchange for more on-road prowess.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 13, 2011, 01:32:50 PM

The STi is optimized for rally conditions. The STi does the job it was supposed to, the Mitsu sacrifices a little bit in exchange for more on-road prowess.

How often does the average joe race around dirt roads?

I never understood the appeal of Subarus...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Nethead

Quote from: SVT666 on January 13, 2011, 11:26:44 AM
What I found most interesting is that in the hands if the author ofnthe article, the Mustang was faster than the M3 Competition.  It was essentially tied in the hands of the Pro driver.

Yeah, a difference of nine hundredths of a second at these speeds is slight--maybe a half fenderlength.  And that was a GT Premium, IIRC, and may have had the glassback roof--items that woulda added weight over a standard GT without the glassback roof--they wanted to add options to the Mustang to get it as close to the equipment found in the M3 as the order sheet would allow.  Fair enough!

SVT666

No glass roof.  It also worked out to be 9.4 feet IIRC.

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 13, 2011, 01:45:37 PM

Don't know and don't really care. How often does the average joe enjoy the fact that the EVO beats the Subaru by a slim margin around a concrete racetrack?

They're rally cars. Logic tells us they should be good at rally racing, otherwise why even make them?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on January 13, 2011, 01:45:37 PM

How often would the average joe race a sports car on a track? With that logic we'd all need a Camry.
If I lived up in the mountains I'd have two cars. A MX-5 for the summer and a STi for the winter.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 13, 2011, 02:25:54 PM
Don't know and don't really care. How often does the average joe enjoy the fact that the EVO beats the Subaru by a slim margin around a concrete racetrack?

They're rally cars. Logic tells us they should be good at rally racing, otherwise why even make them?
Quote from: Onslaught on January 13, 2011, 02:37:36 PM
How often would the average joe race a sports car on a track? With that logic we'd all need a Camry.
If I lived up in the mountains I'd have two cars. A MX-5 for the summer and a STi for the winter.

But you drive on a paved road nearly 100% of the time!  I'd much rather have a suspension designed for road use over one that considers driving over dirt roads.

You don't need to be racing on a race track to appreciate the car being designed for paved road use.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

... I don't think the STi has exactly got a truck suspension, know what I'm saying?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

r0tor

As a daily driver is rather have the sti because it rides much better then the evo but still handles very well...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 13, 2011, 10:41:18 PM
But you drive on a paved road nearly 100% of the time!  I'd much rather have a suspension designed for road use over one that considers driving over dirt roads.

You don't need to be racing on a race track to appreciate the car being designed for paved road use.

1) The difference is negligible WRT street driving.

2) If rally holds no allure for you, and you drive on pavement 100% of the time, then why are you purchasing a compromised rally car over one of the many available traditional sports cars?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on January 14, 2011, 06:36:07 AM

2) If rally holds no allure for you, and you drive on pavement 100% of the time, then why are you purchasing a compromised rally car over one of the many available traditional sports cars?
FWIW, not too many sports cars can legitimately hold 4 grown adults

That and needing AWD are pretty much the only reasons I would ever get either car. LOL @ people talking about these cars rallying prowess when they come equipped with all season or summer street tires. Who's actually buying these cars to go mudbogging? I'd rather a 3-series sport.

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 14, 2011, 07:27:30 AM
FWIW, not too many sports cars can legitimately hold 4 grown adults

That and needing AWD are pretty much the only reasons I would ever get either car. LOL @ people talking about these cars rallying prowess when they come equipped with all season or summer street tires. Who's actually buying these cars to go mudbogging? I'd rather a 3-series sport.

This is the "old Jeep/Land Rover" complex. No one off-roads in a new vehicle or rallycrosses. Heck, with warranties the way they are, you can't do much spirited driving in anything.

You want to have fun in a Corvette? Go to the Skip Barber racing school. Otherwise, you might void your warranty for reckless driving.

That said, once the warranty expires, there's a fantastic amount of hoonage.

See also:

Maybe you'd rather have a 3er, but for anyone who likes to do 4-wheel snow drifts on days where you're told that no one should be on the roads, better options exist.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 13, 2011, 01:32:50 PM

Useful if you live on a rally track. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 14, 2011, 06:36:07 AM

The difference is not that negligible.  Top Gear slammed the new STI when comparing it to the Evo X. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23904.msg1455659#msg1455659 date=1295027171
The difference is not that negligible.  Top Gear slammed the new STI when comparing it to the Evo X. 

Top Gear is a terrible source for objective reviews.