Last Mercury rolls off the assembly line

Started by Madman, January 05, 2011, 09:19:19 AM

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on January 05, 2011, 05:23:09 PM

I think both of you are misinterpreting what we're trying to say.

We are saying that the market for these cars is dead. Not the market for soft cars.

Obviously there is no market for obsolete cars. That's the very definition of "obsolete." It doesn't even need to be said.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cawimmer430

Quote from: hounddog on January 05, 2011, 01:17:24 PM
My uncle actually had the last one, in the same color.

It had a 460 engine, a A/C compressor that was no less than a foot long and six inches diameter, but, got about 6 mpg.

:lol:

That car was AWESOME!

You don't know how lucky you were!  :lol:

Those things are indeed awesome! I wish US carmakers still offered these cars in those bodystyles (but with more efficient engines). Of course the aerodynamics will suck badly...  :cry:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on January 05, 2011, 08:12:34 PM
Comparably-equipped. The Crown Victoria, like all the other Fords, had a base model that the Mercury didn't. Midlevel and upper-level were near identical in price and feature content, just like the other Mercuries.
Two grand difference does not = identical.

Sorry.

You guys crack me up, so literal about things.  I am not saying the vehicle is the zenith of luxury, but, it is a luxury vehicle.  :huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 06, 2011, 12:06:19 PM

You don't know how lucky you were!  :lol:

Those things are indeed awesome! I wish US carmakers still offered these cars in those bodystyles (but with more efficient engines). Of course the aerodynamics will suck badly...  :cry:
They do; 300 and Charger.  :huh:

That car had an open differential and would smoke the tire as far as you wanted to go.  We once, well my cousin since I was about 12, put down a mark that we measured at 500 feet.   Back then you could go almost the entire day without seeing a car on our road.

The only reason we stopped is that it got too hard to see with the smoke.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

2o6

Quote from: hounddog on January 06, 2011, 01:49:22 PM
Two grand difference does not = identical.

Sorry.

You guys crack me up, so literal about things.  I am not saying the vehicle is the zenith of luxury, but, it is a luxury vehicle.  :huh:

A Ford Fiesta is a far more luxurious car.

hounddog

Now your are just being ridiculous.

So much for mature dialogue.

:rolleyes: 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

2o6

The Fiesta has better plastics, drives far better, is put together far better, and beats the Grand Marquis out on EVERY level imaginable in luxury options/items, and materials.

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on January 06, 2011, 02:01:27 PM
The Fiesta has better plastics, drives far better, is put together far better, and beats the Grand Marquis out on EVERY level imaginable in luxury options/items, and materials.

Not quite.  Depending on what you like, the Fiesta isn't more of a luxury vehicle.  I love the steering wheel and seats of the GM, as well as the sound that the doors make when you open/close them.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on January 05, 2011, 08:11:08 PM
LOL. Not me. That country guy who had a song about them could be sad.

Should have killed it off years ago.
I wouldn't mind having a Mercury or two...especially a couple of these Mercury Blues

You're right.  They should've killed it off about 50 years ago.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ifcar

A Mazda MX-5 has better plastics, drives better, is put together better and has more luxury features than the Grand Marquis, but it's in no way a luxury car. Neither is the Fiesta.

The Grand Marquis isn't especially well executed, but it's certainly more close to being luxurious than a subcompact.

Onslaught

No. Just no. And I don't even like the Grand Marquis.

cawimmer430

Quote from: hounddog on January 06, 2011, 01:52:21 PM
They do; 300 and Charger.  :huh:

Yeah, but I prefer the true glamor and sexiness of 1970s American car styling. I love the 70s and 80s, especially the cars. The styling was just so....hot.  :praise:

The new stuff is nice, but in terms of styling they just don't hold a candle to the '70s stuff.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

WookieOnRitalin

We owned a 1992 Grand Marquis. The fact that 206 is arguing that the Fiesta is far more luxurious goes to show how completely absent he is from reality. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. A Marquis is far more luxurious than any subcompact ever or compact...ever. 
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton

The Panther platform is pretty well isolated from the rest of the world. It's a great highway cruiser.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 07, 2011, 09:43:35 AM
We owned a 1992 Grand Marquis. The fact that 206 is arguing that the Fiesta is far more luxurious goes to show how completely absent he is from reality. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. A Marquis is far more luxurious than any subcompact ever or compact...ever.  

I was using a bit of hyperbole, but honestly, I have ALWAYS thought the GM and CV were utterly atrocious inside.

Besides, the late model GM is IMO worse inside then when the revisions first came out in 1992.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on January 07, 2011, 11:10:21 AM

I was using a bit of hyperbole, but honestly, I have ALWAYS thought the GM and CV were utterly atrocious inside.

Besides, the late model GM is IMO worse inside then when the revisions first came out in 1992.

Drive one. It feels like a Brinks truck with more visibility.

I, for one, have Panther love, and I'm going to be sad to see it go.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on January 07, 2011, 11:15:29 AM
Drive one. It feels like a Brinks truck with more visibility.

I, for one, have Panther love, and I'm going to be sad to see it go.

It makes me seasick, it's overly soft with no benefit. The Chrysler 300 is just as comfortable but nowhere near as much as a boat as the Panther cars.

They suck and have no place in today's automotive society.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.