Hit and Run

Started by Laconian, January 06, 2011, 12:17:51 PM

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=23960.msg1451640#msg1451640 date=1294455212
One in the same what?

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/oneinsame.html

You typed that and it made sense to you?

I meant to type something else entirely, but I forgot what. Sometimes I don't read over my posts before I click "post".

Secret Chimp

Its probably best to get the car dropped off here so I can get it prepped and move it to our new place later. I'll be here all weekend.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Well it would probably be moved mid-week.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Have you given any thought to making a Miata desk chair?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on January 07, 2011, 11:55:00 PM
Have you given any thought to making a Miata desk chair?
The seats are not comfortable enough to bother.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on January 07, 2011, 11:52:38 PM
Well it would probably be moved mid-week.

Ah ok, not sure how urgent the move was.

Onslaught

Did this MX-5 have a LSD? If so then I want to be the first one to try and buy it. I need one for my car.

Secret Chimp

It does have a Torsen, but I may keep it for the autocross season this year depending on what the salvage value of the car is. If I were to part the car out entirely and install nothing to refresh my own car, everything would first be sold locally, with stuff being shipped only after that failed. I bought a differential off of eBay a few years ago and sending something the size of a basketball that weighs 90 pounds was more than a crap shoot.

Onslaught

Secret Chimp

Bah, shipping for the full carrier is going to be around $120 plus crating. If I need to sell that particular part to recoup the salvage cost, you can be number one so long as you're willing to swallow a lot of materials costs to get it to you safely. I believe you need the halfshafts and/or the driveshaft as well since you have a 1.6L. Packing stuff is just such a PITA compared to handing it over.

Onslaught

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 08, 2011, 01:35:13 PM
Bah, shipping for the full carrier is going to be around $120 plus crating. If I need to sell that particular part to recoup the salvage cost, you can be number one so long as you're willing to swallow a lot of materials costs to get it to you safely. I believe you need the halfshafts and/or the driveshaft as well since you have a 1.6L. Packing stuff is just such a PITA compared to handing it over.
Don't need it. My car has the driveshaft and rear end out of a 95 in it already. But that rear end didn't have a LSD. It's not big deal really. I see them for sale on ebay sometimes. Just never got around to buying one.

AutobahnSHO

Why LSD on a RWD?  Just to minimize wheelspin?  Seems like it would make for more oversteer...
Will

Rupert

So you can get on the power earlier out of corners. It's only really a problem on low-traction surfaces, but then it's nice to have for the extra grip.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 09, 2011, 05:37:56 PM
Why LSD on a RWD?  Just to minimize wheelspin?  Seems like it would make for more oversteer...

With cars this light it's surprisingly easy to spin a wheel.

AutobahnSHO

That's what I figured- but again you'd have to watch the oversteer more, right?

The LSD built by quaife (installed aftermarket) on the SHO not only helps with wheelspin (prone anytime you have the steering wheel non-straight with power) but helps strengthen some pin that tends to break and grenade the mazada-built  5-spd transaxle....
Will

MrH

It's a much more progressive over steer though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 09, 2011, 11:25:22 PM

You can feel it before it totally busts loose?
Will

Laconian

Still going through the grieving process. Amazing how much sentimentality one can attach to an unliving object.

Rich

Quote from: Laconian on January 10, 2011, 12:02:46 AM
Still going through the grieving process. Amazing how much sentimentality one can attach to an unliving object.

I've only had mine for 7 months..and I'd be just as sad.  I'm so attached to it...  Just like old faithful, still so fun to drive, and then putting on a country-wide road trip, I have a lot of experiences with it :praise:

How long did you have yours?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on January 10, 2011, 12:25:28 AM
4 years.

:(

Having a car that long, you do get attached to it. I know I did with my four years of ownership. Speaking that your car was just a little more engaging than white lightning, and I can understand why you'd be upset.

Do you need AWD in Seattle? Or do you and your boyfriend really want it?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Why not fix it?

Rupert

Yeah, same thing happened to me when I had to sell mine, and I even knew it was going to a good home.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Onslaught

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 09, 2011, 05:37:56 PM
More fun. The more oversteer the better.

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on January 09, 2011, 11:25:22 PM
except in the snow where its zero to gone in a heartbeat
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Secret Chimp

Quote from: r0tor on January 10, 2011, 06:24:42 AM

except in the snow where its zero to gone in a heartbeat
This is a Torsen differential, i.e. if there's no torque on one wheel at all there's nothing to jack against.

Remember these cars are cheap and plentiful for a long time coming. Looking for Tributes for my girlfriend last night, I came across three different 94-97s with under 100k for under $6 grand. Maybe by the time your back has healed up you can find another nice example. Not the most creative direction on the planet but it's probably what I'd be doing if I lost my car tomorrow...

Onslaught

If I lost mine I'd replace it with another red 90-93. But it wouldn't be the same.  My car is my child.

AutobahnSHO

I really want one, but will be looking more at $3-5k.

Doable or not worth it?
Will

Rupert

Very doable. I still see a lot of lower mileage nicer looking NAs for $35-4500.

Laconian

I brought the hardtop back home and left it in the empty garage bay. :cry:

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 10, 2011, 05:35:09 PM
I really want one, but will be looking more at $3-5k.

Doable or not worth it?
No problem.