headlight bulbs

Started by hounddog, January 07, 2011, 02:53:24 PM

hounddog

If you like heavy brew like Lions, you should like this as well. 

That is not to say they are the same, but that they share the same heaviness.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

Not bad. A good quaffing beer. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Enjoying some Easy Street Wheat atm... yum.

hounddog

Just purchased a set of Silverstar Ultras for the Ram, high beams only for now.  Sale price of $42.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, the salesman told me that I need to be sure to use a conductive grease with them to keep the bulbs cooler and to keep them from overheating the pigtail on the harness.

I would like them in before dark today, Tuesday.  Any opinions on that? 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Cookie Monster

Never heard of using headlight grease, but then again I've never used Silverstars either. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hounddog

It is actually sparkplug grease. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CJ

Do you see it there from the factory?

93JC

My opinion?

Take the headlights back to the store you bought them from and get a refund. Silverstar/Silverstar Ultras are a complete waste of money.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on January 10, 2012, 01:36:06 PM
My opinion?

Take the headlights back to the store you bought them from and get a refund. Silverstar/Silverstar Ultras are a complete waste of money.
I agree.

hounddog

Fuck me with a stick;

LAMP

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the four plastic push-in fasteners that secure the upper radiator seal to the grille support and both fender ledges.
3. Remove the two plastic push-pin rivets that secure the upper radiator seal to the radiator.
4. Remove the upper radiator seal from the vehicle.

NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the grille from the front of the vehicle to service the front lamp units. The illustration shows the grille removed only to assist in clearly identifying the locations of the front lamp unit mounting provisions.
5. Remove the screw that secures the upper mounting tab of the front lamp unit to the Front End Module (FEM) carrier (also known as the radiator closure) .
6. Using a socket with a magnetic insert or with a small piece of butyl tape inserted, reach down between the grille and the FEM carrier to access, remove and retrieve the screw that secures the lower mounting tab of the front lamp unit.

7. Remove the fastener that secures the tab at the bottom of the access panel to the front of the front wheel house splash shield .

8. Reach through the access opening of the wheel house splash shield and lift the slide lock upward far enough to disengage it from the lock post integral to the back of the front lamp unit housing .

9. From the front of the vehicle, grasp the outboard edge of the front lamp unit firmly and pull it straight forward to disengage the ball stud from the plastic grommet in the FEM carrier.
10. Pull the lamp away from the front of the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the two wire harness connections from the park/turn signal bulb socket and either the headlamp bulb on vehicles with dual headlamps, or from the headlamp pigtail wire harness on vehicles with quad headlamps .
11. Remove the front lamp unit from the vehicle.

Never mind.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

shp4man

If the truck's still under warranty and the aftermarket lights burn up the harness it's not covered. Just sayin'

Rupert

Quote from: 93JC on January 10, 2012, 01:36:06 PM
My opinion?

+1 big time.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on January 10, 2012, 11:45:07 AM
It is actually sparkplug grease. 

Which is actually dielectric grease.

Rupert

Keep with stock wattage on factory headlights, or you risk melting stuff. Don't even bother with Silverstars; they aren't brighter, just whiter, which is actually a bad thing.

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on January 10, 2012, 08:11:40 PM
Keep with stock wattage on factory headlights, or you risk melting stuff. Don't even bother with Silverstars; they aren't brighter, just whiter, which is actually a bad thing.
All wattage must fall within federal limits. 

I am fairly sure they increase the amperage to the filament thread to get a brighter light, and yes, it cuts the life of the bulb. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: shp4man on January 10, 2012, 03:27:52 PM
If the truck's still under warranty and the aftermarket lights burn up the harness it's not covered. Just sayin'
Not so, says the man behind the desk at the Dodge store.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Northlands

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on January 10, 2011, 12:02:42 PM
All I've ever heard and experienced with Silverstars is that they burn out in like a month.

I had a pair that burned out in three weeks. This was about 4 years ago. I was highly unimpressed.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

93JC

Quote from: hounddog on January 11, 2012, 08:45:15 AM

I am fairly sure they increase the amperage to the filament thread to get a brighter light, and yes, it cuts the life of the bulb. 

Voltage is pretty much constant, so... how do they increase the current ("amperage") without increasing the power ("wattage")?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 93JC on January 11, 2012, 10:51:20 AM
Voltage is pretty much constant, so... how do they increase the current ("amperage") without increasing the power ("wattage")?
:lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FoMoJo

I have a great dislike of unnecessarily bright headlights.  They pose a greater danger to oncoming traffic than any advantage gained by the user.  I've never found it necessary to even use highbeams while driving at night.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 11, 2012, 12:11:19 PM
I have a great dislike of unnecessarily bright headlights.  They pose a greater danger to oncoming traffic than any advantage gained by the user.  I've never found it necessary to even use highbeams while driving at night.

:hesaid:

The use of high beams in traffic is an epidemic. The people who use them in rain and snow are especially dangerous.
I do use high beams on empty rural highways, as they help in spotting deer.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

:hesaid: x2

I use my high beams on empty rural highways, and that's it. I think many (most?) modern headlights are too bright and create a dangerous amount of glare for oncoming traffic. Frankly I think HID lights should be illegal. They're too bright.

I also despise the attitude that some drivers have toward others, saying "I don't care if my lights are [too] bright: they help me see and I feel much safer." Those sorts of people are colossal assholes.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 93JC on January 11, 2012, 01:48:03 PM
:hesaid: x2

I use my high beams on empty rural highways, and that's it. I think many (most?) modern headlights are too bright and create a dangerous amount of glare for oncoming traffic. Frankly I think HID lights should be illegal. They're too bright.

I also despise the attitude that some drivers have toward others, saying "I don't care if my lights are [too] bright: they help me see and I feel much safer." Those sorts of people are colossal assholes.
:hesaid:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

S204STi

I feel like the ideal lies somewhere in between.  I was driving my friend's Previa van this morning to work and the lighting is so dismal that it's frankly unsafe at night.  On the other hand, my overwattage bulbs which put out 2/3 the lumens of xenon HIDs give me great night vision including at high speed.  I'd say the biggest offenders though are the Jeeps, trucks, and the like with ineffective reflectors which create a ton of glare without any appreciable increase in visibility for the driver.  Xenon HIDs, while annoying, are certainly less of an issue AFAIC as long as they are in effective projectors with leveling motors.

S204STi

Oh, and Silverstars are junk.  Buy the Philips Xtremepower bulbs instead.

Rupert

Quote from: S204STi on January 11, 2012, 04:51:08 PM
Oh, and Silverstars are junk.  Buy the Philips Xtremepower bulbs instead.

That's the one. I couldn't remember the name, but they're in my Explorer. Maybe it's the crappiness of the lenses, but I can't see the difference between those and crappy econo-bulbs.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on January 11, 2012, 08:45:15 AM

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

All lumens must also fall within the legal limits. Brighter bulbs have better filaments and better gas components, and it's these things that cut the life of the bulb. Your Silverstars have these better filaments and gases, but then they ruin the whole thing with a blue filter, so you end up with a bulb that lands in the low end of the allowable lumen range while not lasting very long.

Rupert

Quote from: Northlands on January 11, 2012, 10:46:50 AM
I had a pair that burned out in three weeks. This was about 4 years ago. I was highly unimpressed.

Three weeks? Sounds like you got oils from your hands on the bulb glass. :nono:

Rupert

I have over-wattage driving lamps on the Explorer, which turn off with the high beams, and I use them in the appropriate contexts. I also have over-wattage bulbs in the Porsche as low beams, but the lamps are so low and the cut-off so sharp that no one is ever bothered (I can see the cutoff when driving, and the bright part doesn't ever hit anyone's mirrors or windshield).