Car to eventually replace the Accord (Miata RIP)

Started by Laconian, January 07, 2011, 09:46:45 PM

Mustangfan2003

Yep the AMC Eagle has to be the very first crossover created. 

WookieOnRitalin

This sounds like a couple of vehicles.

The Outback for one though I have no experience driving the most recent version though it reviews relatively well. Pretty fuel efficient with the V6 (18/25).

Kia Sorento comes to mind. Comfortable. Fuel efficient albeit bland. But looks nice.

My Picks:
Saab 9-4x (available this spring)
Used 2010-11 Caddy SRX
Used Mercedes GLK
Used 2010 Volvo XC60
Outback
Sorento
Equinox

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 07, 2011, 11:55:26 PM
Yep the AMC Eagle has to be the very first crossover created. 

Here's the circa-WWII VW Type 87

There might be earlier cars, too. Ferdinand Porsche made some early 4x4s for Daimler.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

thewizard16

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 08, 2011, 12:03:13 AM

Kia Sorento comes to mind. Comfortable. Fuel efficient albeit bland. But looks nice.
The new(ish) Sorento is surprisingly nice and doesn't drive too badly, in my opinion. I'll also add a +1 for a look at the Venza. I don't consider it a real SUV, but a friend had one and they're in the price range, relatively nice/upmarket looking, and it was very comfortable. I'd say the Highlander might be worth a look for comfort and relatively decent mileage, but I doubt it handles well and they look a bit strange these days. I'd definitely take a look at the new Edge too.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Colin

The new Sportage has had good reviews, and must be worth a look.

I'd be tempted by that used Forester, as long as it has a wild engine. I drove a bog standard rental spec 2.5X version of the last gen car and was deeply disappointed.

I guess a previous gen Legacy/Outback is not quite SUV-ish enough for you? That was a really nice car, unlike the hideous thing that Subaru are now trying to sell (and Americas are buying, but Europeans are treating with the proverbial barge pole!).

Volvo XC60 too costly? Otherwise nice, esp in R-Design format.

2o6

I don't know about the Sportage....I was at the KIA dealer a few weeks ago, and sat in both the SOUL and Sportage (no dice on a test drive) and the Sportage felt like it had less room inside.

the Teuton

The elephant in the room that no one wants to mention to replace an Accord sedan and get a crossover simultaneously...

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

I'd go with the Tucson/Sportage. They're among the smallest small SUVs, which helps their handling and fuel efficiency. No huge cargo space, but still decent, and plenty of passenger room.

The Sorento and RAV4 are other strong picks in the segment, though more money.

Northlands

Rav4 . Get a V6 if you want some punch to it. Mileage is still ok to, considering it's almost 270hp. It has some serious kick to it. Fairly roomy.

A friend of mine bought a new Hyundai Tuscon. Only had a bit of a drive in it. So far I like it. Nicely appointed inside ( reminds me of the Santa Fe's interior, but a little nicer ).

I prefer the RAV though.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on January 08, 2011, 10:35:29 AM
The elephant in the room that no one wants to mention to replace an Accord sedan and get a crossover simultaneously...

You should be banned for suggesting that.

Laconian

My boyfriend is biased against Korean cars for some reason, but we have a Hyundai dealer closeby so I think we will check the Tucson out regardless. Any clue as to when the Tucson will get the DI Theta engine, if ever?

Cars to test drive today:
* Current Subie Forester
* Current Subie Outback
* Hyundai Tucson

If we have time:
* Ford Edge
* Previous-generation Infiniti FX35
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Northlands

:lol:

IF this is the case, then I suggest a Venza. At least it looks nice and does the same thing this does. ( except blind people with its styling! )

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.

Northlands

Quote from: Laconian on January 08, 2011, 02:13:04 PM
My boyfriend is biased against Korean cars for some reason, but we have a Hyundai dealer closeby so I think we will check the Tucson out regardless. Any clue as to when the Tucson will get the DI Theta engine, if ever?

Cars to test drive today:
* Current Subie Forester
* Current Subie Outback
* Hyundai Tucson

If we have time:
* Ford Edge
* Previous-generation Infiniti FX35

I wanna know how the Edge test drive goes. It's on my list of vehicles of interest.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Previous generation XC60 wasn't any great shakes, was it? Because buying that or the Saab 9-4X new will DEFINITELY break the budget.

If we are going to splurge on a car, it's going to be on the fun car, not the family truckster. My hopes and dreams for owning an awesome car are not invested in this purchase.

OK, gotta call the parents, then it's time to go for some test drivin'.

68_427

The XC60 is new for this gen.

I say go for an Outback XT.  Fun to drive compared to the others and has as much utility.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

That vehicle is the automobile equivalent of those ugly Croc's 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

Gotta agree there. Not much more useful than an Accord, either, since that rear roofline just kills the utility.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Laconian on January 08, 2011, 02:37:35 PM
Previous generation XC60 wasn't any great shakes, was it? Because buying that or the Saab 9-4X new will DEFINITELY break the budget.

If we are going to splurge on a car, it's going to be on the fun car, not the family truckster. My hopes and dreams for owning an awesome car are not invested in this purchase.

OK, gotta call the parents, then it's time to go for some test drivin'.

A used XC60 is in your budget. http://tinyurl.com/27la35f

So is a used Caddy SRX: http://tinyurl.com/2446lxq

The 9-4x should start right around 35k. You could buy a new base 9-4x V6. You'll get a ton of standard features to go along with it.

I'm not sold on the Sportage. Visibility is bad. Stupid Huge rear doors and I think the Tuscon is ugly.

I'll throw out another Darkhose candidate and the most recent incarnation of the Saturn Vue. Low miles, top of the line Red Line or V6 should be a good buy.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on January 07, 2011, 10:09:14 PM
CX7: Already test drove it, didn't like the dash or windshield rake, too much like driving a tank.

You're not really going to find a small SUV that drives less like a tank than that.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on January 08, 2011, 03:14:18 PM
You're not really going to find a small SUV that drives less like a tank than that.

The CX-7 drives the most like a midsize SUV of perhaps any of the compacts. Its very strength is the feeling of a class above.

Laconian: any reason you're not looking at the RAV4?

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on January 08, 2011, 03:18:11 PM
The CX-7 drives the most like a midsize SUV of perhaps any of the compacts. Its very strength is the feeling of a class above.

Laconian: any reason you're not looking at the RAV4?

Lack of desire to drive a Toyota nameplate.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on January 07, 2011, 10:05:32 PM

Fit isn't even best in class, or really that fun to drive.
depends on the source. the fit is awesome if you are interested in a car that small. it's pretty roomy actually.

Secret Chimp

I think a CPO RDX would fit the bill pretty nicely, even if it looks kind of weird. Too bad BMW 5-series wagons are so expensive.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Raza

Do you want an auto or a stick?  What about a 9-3 wagon?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Holding out hope for an auto is a lost cause with these cars.

Taking a pit stop,  but so far we have driven the Edge and a FX35. Will try the CX7 soon.

Laconian

CJ