The car you "grew up" with

Started by CALL_911, January 12, 2011, 09:33:36 PM

CALL_911

Throughout high school, we had that one (or two, I guess) car(s) which were always around, the first car you started driving around and whatnot. What was yours?

For me, that memory'll be served by my mother's grey A4 2.0T. Looking back on high school, I've had a lot of great times in that thing. I've also done a lot of stupid, stupid things with that car.

A very close second would be my dad's 5er.

EDIT: Actually, I guess you could say I really grew up in the Subaru. Problem is, in high school, I drove the A4 most of the time. But my early years were spent primarily with this badboy. It's still running beautifully.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

We've had the Camry since 2000 and it's just always been here. 

the Teuton

The better part of my youth was spent in a 1985 Chevy Astro SWB (well, duh) with a scarlet top half and a silver bottom. We had that from 1990 until 1998 or so.

The next most memorable car I grew up with was that 1993 Olds Cutlass Cruiser. We went on a vacation to Cooperstown and Boston in that thing. Blech.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

My parents bought it new in 1996, and taught me to drive in it nine years later. I became its primary driver as my parents bought new cars, until it was put out of its misery in 2006.

giant_mtb

Most of my youth that I remember was spent in either a Windstar or an Explorer.  We had a Bronco and Aerostar before that, but I do not really remember them.

Rupert

1988 Ford Taurus wagon in dark blue. We had it from 1989 through about 2004. We took it all over the PNW, and I learned to drive in it. It was OK.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 09:33:36 PM
Throughout high school, we had that one (or two, I guess) car(s) which were always around, the first car you started driving around and whatnot. What was yours?

For me, that memory'll be served by my mother's grey A4 2.0T. Looking back on high
school, I've had a lot of great times in that thing. I've also done a lot of stupid, stupid things with that car.

A very close second would be my dad's 5er.
Ah yes, the car you bought back when you were a doctor.

My fondest memories are of our old Mitsubishi Expo Sport AWD.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2011, 10:03:18 PM
Ah yes, the car you bought back when you were a doctor.

My fondest memories are of our old Mitsubishi Expo Sport AWD.

:lol:

That was the black one!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

We had an 89'?(I think, does not look like above), a 94' and the latest an 00'. The first one had dual fuel tanks, and drunk gas like no tomorrow. The 94' was an Inline six, and the 00' is a V6.

Before that, we had a Chevy Beauville, and my mom hated it, she didn't like the way Chevy Vans drove. Before that was another E-series, but a Club wagon, don't know the model year. Got totaled by some guy in a Cadillac (who was killed a few days later) who t-boned the car and bent the frame.

We also had one of these:

which she traded her brother for one of these

it got totaled out by some idiots who stole a Lumina and ran it into the back of the car parked on the street, then she had this:

Which ended up getting stolen. Was recovered, but by that point, she didn't want it.

2o6

Oh yeah, we had a perfectly fine, 89' Probe, too. Needed an alternator.

They scrapped it. Said it was too small.  :facepalm:

the Teuton

I really don't remember the car that the Astro replaced. I know it was a shitty old Caprice wagon, methinks an '85 or so, too, but it was just a piece, according to my parents.

At least the Astro soldiered on to 245k.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

I also overlooked this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-TOYOTA-AVALON-XLS-LOW-MILES-LOADED-/250755117641?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a622b7249#ht_25594wt_1167

We had an Avalon that was exactly the same as that one from 1999-2006. I remember thinking it was awesome when we first got it. Then I remember driving it and comparing it to a rolling sofa.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 10:28:53 PM
I also overlooked this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-TOYOTA-AVALON-XLS-LOW-MILES-LOADED-/250755117641?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a622b7249#ht_25594wt_1167

We had an Avalon that was exactly the same as that one from 1999-2006. I remember thinking it was awesome when we first got it. Then I remember driving it and comparing it to a rolling sofa.

Um, FWD land yachts are awesome.

I :wub: the 2009 Taurus.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on January 12, 2011, 10:33:03 PM
Um, FWD land yachts are awesome.

I :wub: the 2009 Taurus.

That car was a freaking yacht. The seats weren't supportive at all, but that thing sure did have a smooth ride. It was pretty quick too. Handled like shit though.

It also had a decent stereo. Now that I think about it, if my sister hadn't destroyed the fucking thing, it probably would've still been around. It wasn't all that reliable though, it had its fair share of niggles (much moreso than the 2 Audis we've gone/are going through).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 11:01:54 PM
That car was a freaking yacht. The seats weren't supportive at all, but that thing sure did have a smooth ride. It was pretty quick too. Handled like shit though.

It also had a decent stereo. Now that I think about it, if my sister hadn't destroyed the fucking thing, it probably would've still been around. It wasn't all that reliable though, it had its fair share of niggles (much moreso than the 2 Audis we've gone/are going through).

My fifth grade teacher had one. She might have a newer Avalon now. I couldn't believe how big the car was inside.

I got to drive the newest model some time ago, and I liked it a lot more than the new LaCrosse. It was so comfy and easy to drive, like what a Buick should be.

What went wrong with yours?

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on January 12, 2011, 11:08:08 PM
My fifth grade teacher had one. She might have a newer Avalon now. I couldn't believe how big the car was inside.

I got to drive the newest model some time ago, and I liked it a lot more than the new LaCrosse. It was so comfy and easy to drive, like what a Buick should be.

What went wrong with yours?

I don't want to know why you were inside her car.

Various electrical gremlins, the starter motor went, the CD player died after a couple of years and it finally got hit nicely when it was parked. Instead of fixing it, my dad decided to donate it. It was in terrible shape by the end of its life with us. Damn shame, it wasn't a horrible car.

IMO, it was actually reasonably handsome. At least the front was, the rear of the car looks kinda weird.

My parents cross-shopped it with an ES300, I can't help but wonder how different things would've been if they got the ES instead. For some irrational reason, I like the ES a lot more.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Because you were a badge snob, even back then! :lol:

I would certainly be a happier passenger in the larger Avalon.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2011, 11:14:09 PM
Because you were a badge snob, even back then! :lol:

I would certainly be a happier passenger in the larger Avalon.

This is true. I think my parents, too, realized that the Avalon was a much better value than the ES was.

That said, that was the last decent looking ES. I think it was the ES's looks and those futuristic optitron gauges that impressed me, in hindsight. I do think the ES's interior was more attractive than the Avalon's. The Avalon's dash and steering wheel were styled somewhat strangely, IMO. Probably had something to do with the bench seat availability.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 11:11:39 PM
I don't want to know why you were inside her car.

:winkguy:

I think she drove me home from school one day. She's pretty much awesome.

the Teuton

How much do you want for that lovely little Subie?

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on January 12, 2011, 11:22:22 PM
How much do you want for that lovely little Subie?

I'd ask like $1200 or so if I were to sell today. It's got 146,xxx miles and it's in okay condition.

My mom's itching to get rid of it (despite the fact that she hasn't driven it in years). I mentioned a Nissan Xterra to my dad and now my mom's thinking of buying one (as "my" car, which I wouldn't be thrilled about). She's convinced that we need a car for "airport runs" and to transport people in.

The problem with her argument is that we: a) never transport anyone b) the BMW is used as the "airport" car.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I'm convinced old Subarus will become to hipsters what old Volvos are today. And that car would be a nice runabout if it isn't burning oil like most Subarus of that vintage.

I'd be tempted to pick it up; $800-1,000 pick it up. My Midwest sensibilities are kicking in right now.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on January 12, 2011, 11:31:09 PM
I'm convinced old Subarus will become to hipsters what old Volvos are today. And that car would be a nice runabout if it isn't burning oil like most Subarus of that vintage.

I'd be tempted to pick it up; $800-1,000 pick it up. My Midwest sensibilities are kicking in right now.

I doubt it. Subarus never had the same novelty that Volvos did.

Remember, it's a FWD Legacy.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 11:28:15 PM
I'd ask like $1200 or so if I were to sell today. It's got 146,xxx miles and it's in okay condition.

My mom's itching to get rid of it (despite the fact that she hasn't driven it in years). I mentioned a Nissan Xterra to my dad and now my mom's thinking of buying one (as "my" car, which I wouldn't be thrilled about). She's convinced that we need a car for "airport runs" and to transport people in.

The problem with her argument is that we: a) never transport anyone b) the BMW is used as the "airport" car.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
The XTerra is an unrefined truck that will leave people with a negative impression of you and your family.

The only way you can be a proper host to your guests is to drive, nay, chauffeur them in a fine Bavarian estate.

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 11:35:27 PM

It's about as effective in the snow as a neutered dog is at reproducing.

Still, I'd take it. It's damn reliable.

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 11:35:27 PM

He said hipster. A FWD Subaru is more than enough irony for a hipster.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2011, 11:36:00 PM
The XTerra is an unrefined truck that will leave people with a negative impression of you and your family.

The only way you can be a proper host to your guests is to drive, nay, chauffeur them in a fine Bavarian estate.

Yeah, exactly. My mother is delusional.

Quote from: the Teuton on January 12, 2011, 11:36:24 PM
It's about as effective in the snow as a neutered dog is at reproducing.

Still, I'd take it. It's damn reliable.

It's fine in the snow. I drove it yesterday, actually. AWD is cool, but it's not necessary.

Yes, it's very reliable. 19 years and going. Hasn't skipped a beat.

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2011, 11:37:26 PM
He said hipster. A FWD Subaru is more than enough irony for a hipster.

I did overlook that detail. Good catch.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I was kidding a little. My dad has a FWD Subie.

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 12, 2011, 11:41:45 PM
Yeah, exactly. My mother is delusional.
Menopausal? That's when moms tend to go loopy.

CALL_911

Quote from: Laconian on January 12, 2011, 11:48:57 PM
Menopausal? That's when moms tend to go loopy.

She is at that age.

I asked my dad the other day, "when I'm not around, is mom still batshit crazy?" He said that she's normal, which leads me to think I bring out the worst in her. Nothing I can really do about that, I guess. Story of my mom's life: penny wise, pound foolish. She loves to "cut corners" with spending, but man, she really doesn't know WHERE to cut corners. That and she's neurotic beyond belief.

Now that I think of it, I can only think of maybe 3 of my friends who don't think their moms are nuts.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi