How the Bugatti Veyron Works

Started by Tom, September 14, 2005, 05:04:52 PM

Raghavan

QuoteI hate the veyron
Shut your narrow worded mouth.
so you actually like this thing? i feel sorry for you.
What's your reason for disliking it?
it's a heavy, overweight dyno queen. It's not even a sports car. It's a GT with no need for so much hp.

giant_mtb

QuoteI hate the veyron
it's a heavy, overweight dyno queen. It's not even a sports car. It's a GT with no need for so much hp.
So you wouldn't take one?  It's faster then anything you will ever own within the next 10 years...what's not to like?  

Raghavan

QuoteI hate the veyron
So you wouldn't take one?  It's faster then anything you will ever own within the next 10 years...what's not to like?
I'd take one, and buy a nice house, and with the rest of the money, i'd buy an exige. Seriously, i don't care about going fast. I want a good handler, and the veyron cannot provide that.

giant_mtb

QuoteI hate the veyron
I'd take one, and buy a nice house, and with the rest of the money, i'd buy an exige. Seriously, i don't care about going fast. I want a good handler, and the veyron cannot provide that.
It will handle better then any car you get any time soon.

Raghavan

QuoteI hate the veyron
maybe, but it also costs about 1000 times more than any car i'm going to buy soon...

giant_mtb

So quit complaining and saying it sucks or that you don't like it.  

Raghavan

QuoteSo quit complaining and saying it sucks or that you don't like it.
It does suck and i don't like it because IT'S MY OWN FRIGGIN OPINION!! YOu gotta learn to respect others opinions.
And the handling sucks for a $1 mil car.

Raza

QuoteI'm still trying to figure out what's so special about the Veyron.
It's an overpowered, overweight pig that does nothing particularly special except that it's an overpowered, overweight pig whose sole purpose was to unseat the Mclaren F1 as the fastest production car and failed.
The McLaren F1 was beat, though...by the Koenigsegg CCR at 241 MPH, compared to the F1's 240.3.
Has that been verified?  Because the F1 was beaten by claimed top speed numbers of the Veyron like 23 years ago when the Veyron first went into development.
Yes, its been verified:

link
Bravo, then.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteI hate the veyron
Right...with this much weight and and AWD, I bet the 350Z is a better handler.  

Understeer city...

It's not often I side with Rag on an issue, but this car is the pinnacle of underwhelming excess.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Are there any tests or numbers to prove anything?

Raza

I found 1888kg for the weight of the Veyron, so that's 4,153 pounds, give or take.  Add that to the AWD factor, and you've got enormous amounts of understeer.

There some things in physics you don't need a road test to figure out.  If it doesn't understeer off the road, it would be a miracle of engineering, something I just don't think this car can pull out of its hat.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuoteI found 1888kg for the weight of the Veyron, so that's 4,153 pounds, give or take.  Add that to the AWD factor, and you've got enormous amounts of understeer.

There some things in physics you don't need a road test to figure out.  If it doesn't understeer off the road, it would be a miracle of engineering, something I just don't think this car can pull out of its hat.
But it's mid-engined so I'm sure that can counter some of the forward weight bias caused by the AWD system...?

Raza

QuoteI found 1888kg for the weight of the Veyron, so that's 4,153 pounds, give or take.  Add that to the AWD factor, and you've got enormous amounts of understeer.

There some things in physics you don't need a road test to figure out.  If it doesn't understeer off the road, it would be a miracle of engineering, something I just don't think this car can pull out of its hat.
But it's mid-engined so I'm sure that can counter some of the forward weight bias caused by the AWD system...?
You can't win, really.  Sure, there's a rear weight bias, but then you've got a lighter front end to deal with.

If you watch someone push a midengined car really hard, you'll notice it begins to understeer first, because the light front end will push wide--not enough grip.  Even the Elise does that.  

But any car that ways 4000+ pounds will need some major engineering tactics to keep understeer from getting out of hand.  You could always move things around and try to get it to oversteer, but then you'd have stock brokers and Bill Gates wannabes wrapping their million dollar "investment" around telephone poles.  

In a car like this, you can only work in extremes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

I don't know how any real car enthusiast would like the Veyron.

Raza

QuoteI don't know how any real car enthusiast would like the Veyron.
Well, it's certainly fucking cool, and if someone gave one too me, I'd keep it.

For a little while.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

QuoteI found 1888kg for the weight of the Veyron, so that's 4,153 pounds, give or take.  Add that to the AWD factor, and you've got enormous amounts of understeer.

There some things in physics you don't need a road test to figure out.  If it doesn't understeer off the road, it would be a miracle of engineering, something I just don't think this car can pull out of its hat.
You can't win, really.  Sure, there's a rear weight bias, but then you've got a lighter front end to deal with.

If you watch someone push a midengined car really hard, you'll notice it begins to understeer first, because the light front end will push wide--not enough grip.  Even the Elise does that.  

But any car that ways 4000+ pounds will need some major engineering tactics to keep understeer from getting out of hand.  You could always move things around and try to get it to oversteer, but then you'd have stock brokers and Bill Gates wannabes wrapping their million dollar "investment" around telephone poles.  

In a car like this, you can only work in extremes.
It supposedly pulls 1.3 g's.  Let's see you reach those limits on the street; then you can  tell me how it's going to understeer once it reaches those limits.  :rolleyes:  
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

1.3 gs means nothing.  Apparently the Chrysler Crossfire pulls over 1 g and it still handles poorly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote1.3 gs means nothing.  Apparently the Chrysler Crossfire pulls over 1 g and it still handles poorly.
Where have you heard that?  I'm not saying that skid pad numbers are the determining factor when it comes to handling, but it does say a lot.  And I have yet to hear any review complain about the Crossfires handling, and I've never heard of it pulling over 1g either.  Where do you get these things?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote1.3 gs means nothing.  Apparently the Chrysler Crossfire pulls over 1 g and it still handles poorly.
Where have you heard that?  I'm not saying that skid pad numbers are the determining factor when it comes to handling, but it does say a lot.  And I have yet to hear any review complain about the Crossfires handling, and I've never heard of it pulling over 1g either.  Where do you get these things?
Chrysler advertised it as a car that pulled 1.1 or 1.01 gs when it first came out, and as for reviewing, I remember the Fifth Gear review called it soft and feminine...no wonder, though--the mechanicals are all first gen SLK.  How could it handle well?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i