$500 for a Battery!?!?

Started by 850CSi, January 22, 2011, 10:17:50 AM

CJ

Quote from: rohan on January 23, 2011, 11:51:15 AM
We have Interstate batteries in all 48 department vehicles including all our patrol cars- it's the only one we use because they go for so long and are so reliable.  We replace them at 5 years if the vehicle stays with us and I haven't seen a single one fail.  I'm pretty sure even our boats have their marine batteries and I'm pretty sure all our county road trucks have them to since they do our maint.  Your car is probably got something really wrong with it. 

This stupid car has been hit or miss since we bought it.

Vinsanity

my brother just bought a Duralast replacement battery for his E46 M3 for just around $100. it was a bit tight having to wrestle the old one out and the new one into the trunk, and we had to figure out how to reconnect the ventilation hoses for the battery fumes, but nothing that warranted $400 in labor.

Mustangfan2003

While you are out getting a $500 battery you need to get a bottle of blinker fluid. 

Vinsanity

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 23, 2011, 06:54:57 PM
While you are out getting a $500 battery you need to get a bottle of blinker fluid. 

don't forget a new 710 cap. genuine BMW parts only.

NomisR

Dude, for $500, I can probably get myself a Voltphreaks battery or something...

hounddog

Quote from: The Pirate on January 23, 2011, 11:34:51 AM
Very possible that it's something other than the battery.  I've a very hard time believing that you got 3 bad batteries.  Methinks something else in the car is malfunctioning and smoking the battery.
I am, of course, not a mechanic but I know a thing or two about this stuff. 

It sounds an aweful lot like an overcharging problem, which will burn a battery faster than almost anything else you can do.  Overcharging is a big problem with marine batteries, and once they get a few overcharges they just refuse to hold a charge anymore.  It can be damned frustrating trying to figure it out as well.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 23, 2011, 06:57:22 PM
don't forget a new 710 cap. genuine BMW parts only.
I was thinking; could be the hephaestian bypass has a post selenoidal dual-looping introversion effect causing the anti-absorption ratio of the kuneutson valve filter to fall below the normal saturation point.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Vinsanity

Quote from: hounddog on January 24, 2011, 08:41:42 PM
I was thinking; could be the hephaestian bypass has a post selenoidal dual-looping introversion effect causing the anti-absorption ratio of the kuneutson valve filter to fall below the normal saturation point.

prescription: blinker fluid flush and a new 710 cap.

hounddog

Maybe need to replace the 710 fluids with the newer synthetic ultra-high kelstrate saturation level stuff.

Have heard great things about the newer stuff.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

850CSi

I'm going to call my indie mechanic and see how much he wants to just do this himself. If it's under $200 I'll just take it to him.

I wonder if a place like NTB can reset my system.

The issue really is that after the battery is installed the system has to be reset. Apparently the battery can explode if improperly installed.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750&highlight=battery

Mustangfan2003

Well you can plug a memory saver in the OBD II port. 

hounddog

By the way, Randy is having to replace the battery in his car now.

Told me the dealership told him to save $200 and just put in an Interstate himself. 

Their battery was about $275 plus $100 for install, but the Interstate is something like $160 for the one his car needs.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

SVT_Power

Quote from: CJ on January 23, 2011, 11:30:44 AM
Our Accord uses an Interstate battery with the Honda label on it and we've gone through 3 in 4 years.  That's a problem.

Why is it that anything you guys use in your cars fail? You claimed Falken tires are junk because you guys went through a set in 5k miles or something which is practically impossible in everyday driving. Now 3 batteries in 4 years?

What the hell do you guys do with your cars?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hounddog

:lol:

Good catch, SVT. 

Seems like someone is a little full of himself.  :lol:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Laconian

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 02, 2011, 08:12:53 AM
Why is it that anything you guys use in your cars fail? You claimed Falken tires are junk because you guys went through a set in 5k miles or something which is practically impossible in everyday driving. Now 3 batteries in 4 years?

Also, the 7th gen Honda Accord that is constantly on fire.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

What he is to cars is what Sub is to electronics.  :lol:

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

Tave

I got taken on a NAPA store-brand battery this spring: $120 for the dinkiest thing they had in stock. I've had great luck with Walmart's $60 whatevers in the past.

At least that's ($60) how much they used to cost. Maybe they've just gotten more expensive everywhere.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

I paid about that for a NAPA battery last week.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Quote from: Tave on April 04, 2011, 11:15:02 PM
I got taken on a NAPA store-brand battery this spring: $120 for the dinkiest thing they had in stock. I've had great luck with Walmart's $60 whatevers in the past.

At least that's ($60) how much they used to cost. Maybe they've just gotten more expensive everywhere.

I bought a battery for my car in February.  Knew it was coming, so had a chance to price out some options.  Walmart was $86.  I opted for the Duralast at Autozone, it was $95.  Batteries have definitely gotten more expensive.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

shp4man

Just for shits and grins, I went to Alldata to see what's involved in replacing the battery. What a clusterf*ck. :lol:

CJ

I didn't claim all Falken tires are junk, just those Ziex ZX512, or whatever they are.  I have a set of Sincera SN828's on my 940 and I like them quite a lot.  And the batteries?  I don't know what's up with those.  This one's been fine since we got it.  We had the car in for an oil change when we got this battery and the old battery tested bad...so they replaced it under warranty.

Our Camry has never had anything major wrong with it.  The coolant temp sensor and thermostat need to be replace right now, but that's it.  It currently has a set of brand new Kumho something's on it.  They're rated fairly good for this car

850CSi

Ok, car is having trouble starting now as it gets colder outside. It probably hasn't dropped below 30 yet and it's having a hell of a time starting when I've left it overnight.

Probably just going to take it to Autozone and then I'll just take it to the stealership to have them reset the system (apparently only charge 30 min labor for this) so it charges right. Should any Group 48 battery work?

giant_mtb

I bought a $60 battery from Meijer that starts the Bravvy up like it was fresh off the factory line every morning, even if it is 20 or below.

S204STi

Gotta-Qik-C7

I have a Die Hard in my winter Smug Bug and it hasn't let me down yet.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Byteme

Quote from: 850CSi on January 22, 2011, 10:17:50 AM
I mean fine, I get that labor is expensive and I'd be getting an OEM battery and whatever but seriously!? And it's not like my battery is that difficult to access, IIRC it's in a panel in the trunk's side lining that's easy to remove. He could tell I was shocked so he goes on and tells me how batteries from Autozone are useless and I'll end up having to buy an OEM battery anyways "because of all of the electronics in the car." Which sounds like utter bullshit.

Question 2: Would an OEM battery really have any discernible advantage over a Duralast or whatever? Aren't the car's electronics run off of the alternator anyways?

I'm going to call the indie shop that did my ceramic brake pads and see how much he wants. I also need the microfilter replaced anyways. I would change the battery myself but apparently the car's system has to be reset. I might just change it myself and ask the shop to reset it.

A couple of questions:

Since your battery is in the trunk it is probably sealed and vented (like a Miata battery).  Have you checked to see if that's what you have?

Is the battery one that has special construction like a Miata?

If yes to those questions it might be a bit more expensive but $500?  Come on.  Size and cold cranking amps are about all that matters.  If the aftermarket battery is, at a minimum,. the same or better then it will be perfectly fine.  Also, the Autozone batteries seem to last quite a while, they are not second rate.  And the last time I checked Walmart was selling batteries made by Johnson Controls, a very large and respected maker of batteries.

Byteme

Quote from: 850CSi on January 29, 2011, 09:24:48 AM
I'm going to call my indie mechanic and see how much he wants to just do this himself. If it's under $200 I'll just take it to him.

I wonder if a place like NTB can reset my system.

The issue really is that after the battery is installed the system has to be reset. Apparently the battery can explode if improperly installed.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750&highlight=battery

Some places will install a battery for free when you buy it there. 

Byteme

Quote from: 850CSi on December 13, 2011, 03:14:43 PM
Ok, car is having trouble starting now as it gets colder outside. It probably hasn't dropped below 30 yet and it's having a hell of a time starting when I've left it overnight.

Probably just going to take it to Autozone and then I'll just take it to the stealership to have them reset the system (apparently only charge 30 min labor for this) so it charges right. Should any Group 48 battery work?

Go to Autozone's web site and check on batteries and input your car year, make and model.  They will tell you what fits and how much it will cost.  Walmart will do the same thing and I think they install it for a nominal fee, they may even reset the system.  Remember this likely won't be the first BMW they've seen.

SVT_Power

Quote from: MiataJohn on December 13, 2011, 05:09:45 PM
A couple of questions:

Since your battery is in the trunk it is probably sealed and vented (like a Miata battery).  Have you checked to see if that's what you have?

Is the battery one that has special construction like a Miata?

If yes to those questions it might be a bit more expensive but $500?  Come on.  Size and cold cranking amps are about all that matters.  If the aftermarket battery is, at a minimum,. the same or better then it will be perfectly fine.  Also, the Autozone batteries seem to last quite a while, they are not second rate.  And the last time I checked Walmart was selling batteries made by Johnson Controls, a very large and respected maker of batteries.

I've heard pretty much all car batteries are made by johnson controls  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna