Time for brakes on the Durango

Started by hounddog, January 24, 2011, 10:16:22 PM

hounddog

Finally wore out the replacements on the Durango from when we were having trouble.  

Looking for advice on a couple brands, and type of pads.

As most of you know, I pull a heavy load 3-4 times a year at most and the boat trailer has brand new electric brakes last year.  Will ceramics work for that since the trailer brakes actually work to help stop the vehicle?  Or should I go to a ceramic/metallic combi and is there something someone would recommend?

Also;

Rotors.  Am seriously considering Wagner rotors this time.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I have no interested in slotted or drilled rotors, btw.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Brake-Rotor-Wagner_15800372-P_221_R%7CGRPDRUMAMS_900086855___#fragment-3

This is the pad I am most interested in; Hawk LTS Light Truck/SUV.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  
http://www.jcwhitney.com/lts-light-truck-and-suv-brake-pads/p2024077.jcwx?skuId=885005&filterid=d417y2007j1

Cost is of little concern.
Time is an issue as they need to be changed before we head to Wisconsin.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Mustangfan2003

I'd say go with Wagner pads and rotors. 

hounddog

Am looking for a bit more than that, like "why," please.  

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Mustangfan2003

My mom has Wagners on her Trailblazer and they've worked really well.  As far as Ceramics I don't think they are recommended for towing. 

The Pirate

I'm liking those Hawk pads.  I too have read that ceramics aren't recommended for frequent towing of heavy loads, something to do with heat retention above the optimal level.  Not an expert on these things.

My preference with brakes has been NAPA blank rotors (made by Brembo, last time I checked).  I currently have ceramics on my car, but was pretty happy with the Hawks that I had on there previously.  The Hawks had quite a bit better initial bite than the ceramics.  Both are pretty similar in power, but there is a lot less dust with the ceramics.

Are you towing that big Doral?  I'd stick with the semi-metallic Hawks, I think.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Mustangfan2003

I got Hawk HPS pads on my car and they are great, not sure how well their truck pads go though. 

The Pirate

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on January 24, 2011, 11:25:35 PM
I got Hawk HPS pads on my car and they are great, not sure how well their truck pads go though. 

Hopefully not very well!  :tounge:

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on January 24, 2011, 11:23:03 PM
Are you towing that big Doral?  I'd stick with the semi-metallic Hawks, I think.

Whenever someone says, "Doral," I think of this guy:

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

Quote from: The Pirate on January 24, 2011, 11:23:03 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, and I have heard the same thing with regards to ceramics on tow vehicles yet Hawk seems to make a ceramic for towing vehicles which yeilded my questions.

I would like to get Brembo rotors, but have no idea where to find them.  Over the recent years have heard good things about Wagner, but admittedly, I know very little about them.

We tow the Doral we currently own, but if we do buy the bigger one we will no longer be able to tow it as it weighs about 20,000 pounds with no fuel or water on board, and nothing else either.   Trying to talk my wife into letting me get a '11 Ram 2500 with a Cummins. 

So far, that is not going very well.  :lol: 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on January 25, 2011, 01:35:36 AM
Whenever someone says, "Doral," I think of this guy:

That makes me laugh because I always think of the Doral cigarettes.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Mustangfan2003

I believe Tire Rack sells Brembo products, when I worked at Advance Auto Parts we could special order Brembo stuff. 

hounddog

Tire rack claims to not be capable of getting the Brembos for the Durango, I called twice and spoke to two different operators on purpose.

I will talk to Advance tomorrow and see what they say.  I would prefer Brembo rotors over anything else on the market, their QA program is INSANELY tough on the parts.  (and, last I knew they were still making a large number of them at the Honeywell plant in South Bend, In)

Appreciate the advice.

Oh, ordered the Hawk LTS pads today. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on January 25, 2011, 06:23:17 AM
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, and I have heard the same thing with regards to ceramics on tow vehicles yet Hawk seems to make a ceramic for towing vehicles which yeilded my questions.

I would like to get Brembo rotors, but have no idea where to find them.  Over the recent years have heard good things about Wagner, but admittedly, I know very little about them.

We tow the Doral we currently own, but if we do buy the bigger one we will no longer be able to tow it as it weighs about 20,000 pounds with no fuel or water on board, and nothing else either.   Trying to talk my wife into letting me get a '11 Ram 2500 with a Cummins. 

So far, that is not going very well.  :lol: 

Put in a call to NAPA, if you have one close by.  Most NAPA rotors were made by Brembo, last time I checked.  And even if they aren't I've always been very impressed with the quality of NAPA brand parts  - they are my default parts store.

I'm sure you know this, but if you get the Cummins Ram, that solves the issue of of having to put brakes on the Durango!  :lol:

This was a classic move of my dad's for years, he'd take my mom's vehicle in for tires or something minor, and come home with a brand new car for her. 

hounddog

Yeah, thats a classic for sure.

Still, I am fishing for a new boat.  A new truck would pretty well seal the fate of the boat.  In a womans eyes, $700 for new brakes is an easy sell.  $50,000 for a new truck is not.

:mask:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on January 25, 2011, 05:37:56 PM
Yeah, thats a classic for sure.

Still, I am fishing for a new boat.  A new truck would pretty well seal the fate of the boat.  In a womans eyes, $700 for new brakes is an easy sell.  $50,000 for a new truck is not.

:mask:

It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.  :devil:

hounddog

Bought the Wagner rotors, lifetime warranty figured I could hardly go wrong.  (yeah, right)

Just waiting on the pads now, then I can get them on. 

I have a brand spanking new garage and a brand new rollabout (a few requisite tools to fill up a couple more empty drawers)  just waiting for this project, and I cannot wait to get on it. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Mustangfan2003

So which pads did you end up going with?  The Hawk?

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke