So why do people buy luxury cars again? (Coworker's shitty dealer experience)

Started by Laconian, January 26, 2011, 06:16:35 PM

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 28, 2011, 12:28:13 PM
Again, folks need to realize that different dealerships are independant companies, they are not owned by lexus, audi, acura, etc...

The Audi dealership I used in Montreal was awesome, treated me like a million bucks even though I drove an A4 1.8T. The dealership where I bought my S4 rolled out the red carpet when I was buying my car. The dealership where I had my first service done on my S4 was anonymous and sterile (I could have been driving a hyundai accent and proabbly been treated exactly the same). Not all dealers for a particular brand are the same.

That being said all dealers do have a relationship (backed up by money) with the manufacturer, so if something isn't being done to your satisfaction the best bet is to call the manufacturer.

Definitely true, and like other's have said, there's typically a survey taken after you've gone to a dealership for service, this is a great time to vent any angers that you may have if you're not happy.  I have, and that service manager no longer worked there afterwards. 

Galaxy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 28, 2011, 12:28:13 PM
Again, folks need to realize that different dealerships are independant companies, they are not owned by lexus, audi, acura, etc...

In Germany it is not uncommon for Audi, BMW, etc to run their own dealerships in large cities. They then turn them into quasi museums. The best example is the Mercedes owned dealership in Berlin.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Galaxy on January 31, 2011, 05:58:00 AM
In Germany it is not uncommon for Audi, BMW, etc to run their own dealerships in large cities. They then turn them into quasi museums. The best example is the Mercedes owned dealership in Berlin.

I would imagine most manufacturers would prefer to own their own dealerships in the US< but its actually illegal. Dealerships are protected by various franchise laws in the US to stop the evil, evil manufacturers (please note the sarcasm) from competing with them.

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on January 28, 2011, 12:30:48 PM
Definitely true, and like other's have said, there's typically a survey taken after you've gone to a dealership for service, this is a great time to vent any angers that you may have if you're not happy.  I have, and that service manager no longer worked there afterwards. 

This is because with all inclusive service programs, the dealer doesn't get paid unless it has good feedback scores. I don't know how it's figured, but there is very little room left for error.

Also, my BMW dealer made a couple wait two hours for delivery because the car went in for its detail late. When I asked a salesman about it, he said, "They're paying for the car -- not to have their feet kissed." I disagreed. It's a luxury car dealer. If you're dropping $50k on a car, you deserve to be treated like royalty.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: the Teuton on January 31, 2011, 12:16:11 PM
This is because with all inclusive service programs, the dealer doesn't get paid unless it has good feedback scores. I don't know how it's figured, but there is very little room left for error.

Also, my BMW dealer made a couple wait two hours for delivery because the car went in for its detail late. When I asked a salesman about it, he said, "They're paying for the car -- not to have their feet kissed." I disagreed. It's a luxury car dealer. If you're dropping $50k on a car, you deserve to be treated like royalty.

:rolleyes: What's the point of commission with an attitude like that?

The Pirate

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 28, 2011, 12:20:14 PM
Lexus was my company's first big client back when everybody thought putting your dealership on the internet was a waste of money. They have their own dedicated teams up and down on our end now. They've always known how to get stuff done right.

Dude, where do you work?  I think my brother-in-law works for the same place.  PM if you want.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 31, 2011, 12:48:56 PM

:rolleyes: What's the point of commission with an attitude like that?

I agree completely.

For those people who have shopped at a German lux dealer, did you find the service to be anything above average?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on January 31, 2011, 03:57:18 PM
I agree completely.

For those people who have shopped at a German lux dealer, did you find the service to be anything above average?

Yeah.  I mean, I have little experience with car-buying, but the sales people (salesman, managers, financial folks, etc.) were all very nice throughout my A4 purchasing process.  The Ann Arbor dealer was trash, but the one in Grand Rapids was very nice, which is where we ended up purchasing the car from.

Colonel Cadillac

I agree completely.

When I purchased my car, I definitely had a good experience at the Audi dealer. I felt that the salesman did nothing to take advantage of the fact that I was young and inexperienced (I did everything myself, my dad just showed up to write the check). He was very objective and a nice guy. I did relatively little waiting around for help and the sort. My service experience at New Orleans Audi has been absolutely exceptional, the lady at the service department knows me by name and was very accommodating. There was a time when there was a question and she insisted that I come in to talk with the head technician about my options instead of proceeding with the most expensive option.

My mom's experience with New Country Audi of Greenwich's service department has been less than stellar. When she had the Allroad, she brought it in right before it hit 50,000 miles to be serviced and have some things fixed, and the service department did a "quick fix" on whatever it was, and it proceeded to promptly break again at about 51,000 miles so she would have to pay for the legitimate fix. Surprisingly--she is not one to argue, she got extremely mad at them and insisted that they cover the fix under the warranty. After a tussle, they fixed it under warranty, but she had to "wrestle" with them to get it done. New Country Audi of Greenwich is the largest Audi dealer in the country, so it seems to me that they have worse customer service because it doesn't really matter if they lose one customer. Of course, she bought a new Audi later on so it wasn't a deal breaker, but generally speaking she hates the service department there.

New Country Audi of Greenwich also seems to have really expensive servicing. When the Allroad "died," it was worth about $6000 and according to them, it needed $5000 worth of repairs. I don't remember what went wrong, but I remember it being considerably cheaper if it was to be fixed elsewhere. That prompted a new car purchase, so I wasn't adamant about getting it fixed elsewhere :lol:

CALL_911

I agree completely.

Our Audi dealer (Biener Audi) is okay. They do a good enough job, but their loaner inventory is horribly sparse. We always get something from Enterprise. They are quick with their work and treat us quite well. Recently, they revamped their service center.

Our BMW dealer (Rallye BMW) is the shit. They provide blowjobs and candy every time we give our car in. To be honest, Rallye BMW's exceptional service is part of the reason my dad didn't really consider anything besides BMW when he bought his current car (except Audi, oddly enough).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on January 31, 2011, 12:16:11 PM

Bullshit. If you spend $50k on a car, you should expect to be treated like you should expect to be treated at a place where you spent $20k on a car. I expect to be treated fairly and courteously (plus or minus) no matter where I go to service a car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on January 31, 2011, 08:04:48 PM
Bullshit. If you spend $50k on a car, you should expect to be treated like you should expect to be treated at a place where you spent $20k on a car. I expect to be treated fairly and courteously (plus or minus) no matter where I go to service a car.

I think it's fair to expect more perks as the price increases. Fairness and courtesy is the baseline for any significant purchase.

Rupert

More price, more free/nicer loaners, maybe. I don't expect to be dicked around and bullshitted no matter where I go, and I don't expect anyone to kiss my feet, either. What other perks are there? Better free coffee?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Onslaught

Damn, if I had a brand new car that had a problem at 400 miles I'd be pissed. Hell, if it had a problem with lets say 40K miles or less I'd be really mad.
And if the shop put any kind of dent or scratch in it I'd probably get really hot. And I'm not the kind of person to start shit most of the time.
Now if that place didn't bend over backwards to make things as right as they can I'd blow up.

Not that you can "make it right" again. If you've got to paint something then it's never as good as it was before.

Rupert

Yeah, if I took a $200 beater in to a shop to have something done, and they put a dent like that in it, I would expect them to at least buy the car! :lol:

93JC

Perhaps it is indicative of the reliability of the average luxury car if the service department is of much importance. I don't think my dealership has loaners because... why would they? I bring the car in three times a year for oil changes.

JWC

Quote from: ifcar on January 31, 2011, 08:37:41 PM
I think it's fair to expect more perks as the price increases. Fairness and courtesy is the baseline for any significant purchase.

The Caddy dealer I used to work at felt that the more a customer spent, the more service/freebies they deserved.  I always felt that the person who spent $15K on a car, and only made $15K per year, deserved as much respect, service, and freebies as the person who spent $60K and made $500K per year. 

CALL_911

Quote from: JWC on February 02, 2011, 08:22:19 AM
I always felt that the person who spent $15K on a car, and only made $15K per year,

You're entitled to your opinion, but that person's a fucking moron.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

JWC

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 03, 2011, 01:26:50 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, but that person's a fucking moron.

How do you know?  A lot of people make minimum wage and live within their means.  With 0% financing and a 250.00/month payment, buying a new car is cheaper than buying a used car.  Plus, if you are on a limited budget, you know that any major malfunctions for the next several years is covered by warranty. 

Does that make them any less deserving of good service? 

Laconian

Paintless dent repair est la magique. Can't even tell there was a dent there anymore.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Let's pile into the clown car and go for a test ride!
(note: 4 grown men => suboptimal power to weight ratio)

Secret Chimp

The leather looks like modeling clay.

Once I have some bux at some point I want to do some PDR on the left side of my car... stupid rear quarter panel dent.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Laconian

Cookie Monster

How they do a paintless dent repair without messing up the body line/crease in the fender?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Onslaught

Quote from: thecarnut on February 03, 2011, 03:30:02 PM
How they do a paintless dent repair without messing up the body line/crease in the fender?
Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. And to be honest if the dent was bad it could come back to bite you later. You see the metal can bend way more then the paint can. So when you get it back in shape if it was too bad then the paint can be damaged. You could possibly not even see it with your eyes. And over time water will get to the metal from the damaged paint and it will rust. I've seen this over and over again when the dealership has a PDR guy fix a car and a year or two later the owner brings it back and we've got to fix it.

Now I'm not saying that PDR stuff will always do that. But when they do quarter work they often drill holes to do the work. I'm not a fan of that.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on February 03, 2011, 03:28:41 PM
Think PDR would work for my Miata?

Well the rear quarter panel is already partially paintless itself, so he'd have a head start

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

hounddog

I have had exactly the opposite experience with BMW; they treat us as valued guests, really. 

They give us loaners every time we take the vehicle in, a vehicle that is usually something I am interested in driving.  A couple weeks ago it was a 535Xi.  Time before that 335i convertible.  Time before that...you get the picture.

My salesman usually meets whoever took the vehicle in at the service desk to say hello, ask if there is anything he can do, etc. 

Not long ago a neighbors 7 series would not start in his drive in -18 degree weather.  The dealership in Traverse City (about an hour+ away) sent a truck with a loaner down, picked up his car, returned it the next day and took the loaner back. 

The Dodge dealership, while pleasant and reliable, treat everyone as if they are a mild bother.  You get nothing from them but what you ask for, pay for, or otherwise steal from their desk.  :lol:

I would by far prefer to go to the BMW desk than the Dodge service desk anytime.  And I love Dodge.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

I don't understand BMW dealers. I remember dropping off a Z4 (I was the "chase" car, a 335i) 50 miles from the dealer. We had a fleet of 20 loaners on hand, mostly 3 Series, 5 Series and X3s, which were loaned regularly.

It was a decent place.

But there was so much vile about it, too, so much more vile than the public ever saw (though they did see some of it).