So why do people buy luxury cars again? (Coworker's shitty dealer experience)

Started by Laconian, January 26, 2011, 06:16:35 PM

hounddog

I believe BMW requires them to do the loaners, but that is all I know about the program.

Also; can you please expand on "vile?"
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on February 05, 2011, 07:21:03 PM
I believe BMW requires them to do the loaners, but that is all I know about the program.

Also; can you please expand on "vile?"

-Corrupt service managers
-Illegal work practices, hazing
-Shafting everyone out of work hours (I later got a $30 check some 5 months after I left for wages they didn't pay to me or anyone else there -- OSHA cracked down on them)

Just a bunch of stuff, and the aforementioned time they made a couple wait 2 hours to take delivery of their new 3 Series.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

Yeah, that sounds very "vile" for certain.

My dealership is mostly older fellows, and everyone seems "reasonably" happy.

How would you tell otherwise as a customer?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on February 05, 2011, 07:25:15 PM
Yeah, that sounds very "vile" for certain.

My dealership is mostly older fellows, and everyone seems "reasonably" happy.

How would you tell otherwise as a customer?

You probably wouldn't. If you're happy, it's all good.

I wouldn't let anyone touch my car outside of the techs, though. We had our wash bays about a mile away and down a secluded hill. I wish I were the guy who got to drive the original M6 back up to the dealer lot. That car was not driven peacefully by the lot attendant.

Check the surrounds, ask where the wash bays are, and always remember how much money you left in your car and where. If you left a dollar under a seat, it will likely not be there when you pick it up. If you left it in the center console, though, it probably will be.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

I can see that.

I personally never leave much in the car money wise, perhaps some change and have not had a problem.   

We also never have them wash the vehicle, we get the "no wash" little orange cone on the roof.  :lol:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on February 05, 2011, 07:49:38 PM
I can see that.

I personally never leave much in the car money wise, perhaps some change and have not had a problem.   

We also never have them wash the vehicle, we get the "no wash" little orange cone on the roof.  :lol:

Thank goodness.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on January 26, 2011, 06:16:35 PM
My coworker just got a 2011 Audi S5 Cabriolet. Ordered from Germany to his spec, with his favorite color and all the fancy whatnots checked. The A5 Cabrio 2.0T was his dream car, and he bumped it up to an S5 when he got the new bonus numbers.

400 miles in, the rear right suspension starts making a pretty awful creaking sound that gets more and more frequent. He takes it in for warranty service.

He just went to go pick it up, and there is a huge noticeable dent the size of a baseball along the rear quarter panels, right at the corner crease. Apparently they dented the car when they were doing some tests with the suspension under load. He's been arguing with the GM of the dealership who is trying to weasel his way out of making things perfectly square. I thought that was one of the allures with dealing with a luxury marque, the fact that they treat you right? This seems to be straight out of a high-volume Chevrolet dealer playbook.

All this drama after just 500 miles, quelle horreur.

Solution? Do what my Dad does. Go out and buy a Fit or a Pilot.

Much less hassle.

68_427

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on February 08, 2011, 05:09:32 PM
Solution? Do what my Dad does. Go out and buy a Fit or a Pilot.

Much less hassle.

And buy a car he doesn't want?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Quote from: hounddog on February 05, 2011, 07:49:38 PM
I can see that.

I hate the idea of some punk ass kid washing my car.  I always ask for a no-wash service as well.  Ugh.  The thought of how many scratches and swirls they'd put into my paint with their dirty-ass brush sickens me.

Onslaught

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 08, 2011, 05:42:40 PM
I hate the idea of some punk ass kid washing my car.  I always ask for a no-wash service as well.  Ugh.  The thought of how many scratches and swirls they'd put into my paint with their dirty-ass brush sickens me.
I wouldn't let any of them wash my car. The guys at work always as if I'll let them wash my car for $10.00 and I say no. I've seen the job they do and what they use. No way in hell.

SJ_GTI

FWIW, I took my car in for an oil change on Monday. When I got their the lady at the desk told me their was a recall (sort of) on the water pump, and that they need to change it out. SHe said it would take a couple of hours and they would be happy to give me a loaner if I wanted. I said sure...and then she told me they were going to give me a Q7. What a monster!!! I asked her if they had anything smaller for me to drive and she gave me an A3 2.0T quattro S-line. It was an automatic, but it was a fun little car. The DSG really is an amazing transmission, although I still prefer the involvement of a manual. The shifts were ridiculously fast an smooth, and since it was AWD (the cheaper haldex version, but still AWD) there was no slippage even on wet roads (where as with my GTI I could almost always spin the front tires if I took off in a hurry around corners).

Anyway overall I was pretty happy with the service. Yeah its annoying to have to get something repaired, but getting a new car to drive around for the day is not a bad trade off IMHO.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 09, 2011, 09:08:02 AM
FWIW, I took my car in for an oil change on Monday. When I got their the lady at the desk told me their was a recall (sort of) on the water pump, and that they need to change it out. SHe said it would take a couple of hours and they would be happy to give me a loaner if I wanted. I said sure...and then she told me they were going to give me a Q7. What a monster!!! I asked her if they had anything smaller for me to drive and she gave me an A3 2.0T quattro S-line. It was an automatic, but it was a fun little car. The DSG really is an amazing transmission, although I still prefer the involvement of a manual. The shifts were ridiculously fast an smooth, and since it was AWD (the cheaper haldex version, but still AWD) there was no slippage even on wet roads (where as with my GTI I could almost always spin the front tires if I took off in a hurry around corners).

Anyway overall I was pretty happy with the service. Yeah its annoying to have to get something repaired, but getting a new car to drive around for the day is not a bad trade off IMHO.  :lol:

I'm taking my brother's S4 in on Friday; I hope I get an A3 loaner. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I didn't know your bother had an S4? Same model as mine? Did he get a 6MT or auto?

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 09, 2011, 06:21:47 PM
I didn't know your bother had an S4? Same model as mine? Did he get a 6MT or auto?

Yeah, he's got a 2011.  My brother doesn't drive stick, so he got the 7AT.  It's a good transmission.  Very fun car, even with the DSG.  It's black.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24107.msg1469178#msg1469178 date=1297303363
Yeah, he's got a 2011.  My brother doesn't drive stick, so he got the 7AT.  It's a good transmission.  Very fun car, even with the DSG.  It's black.

Very cool. I never drove the 7AT version, but I am guessing its similar to the 6AT DSG in the way it shifts.