2o6's 2ND car thread.....

Started by 2o6, February 02, 2011, 02:56:34 PM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Because it dominates any form of budget minded racing.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 02, 2011, 03:26:11 PM

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=293810170

+1

My uncle had one of those, it was so cool. Too bad it was hideous and had the smallest trunk this side of Kate Moss.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: 68_427 on February 02, 2011, 03:28:42 PM

Pretty much. And it's almost as balanced as the all-awesome Impreza.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on February 02, 2011, 03:28:42 PM

Neons always outperformed Saturns.

But I don't to get either.

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 02, 2011, 03:32:05 PM

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=290420108

I like it, but I'm getting a manual, not becuase I'm a want "driving involvement" (but that is a good reason why I want one) my dad has a bad habit of taking our cars without telling us.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on February 02, 2011, 03:27:56 PM
Too expensive for it's age, and it's RWD.

dude, don't make me call over Mr. T and make him shoot Snickers bars at you with his Snickers bar gatling gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkT_d2OTgv0

2o6

It's nowhere near as good in snow as a FWD or AWD car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on February 02, 2011, 03:38:02 PM
It's nowhere near as good in snow as a FWD or AWD car.

drive it through the snow in reverse, then

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 02, 2011, 03:39:25 PM
drive it through the snow in reverse, then

Seriously, this little Neon is a champ on snow and ice. RWD cars and trucks are always fishtailing, and I can get past the same place with minimal fuss.

The Pirate

Keep the Neon, and keep saving your money for school and that stuff.  Work hard, get a good job, you'll be able to buy a much nicer car in a few years.

That being said if you're hell-bent on a new car, I do like my Protege a lot, and it's going to be a lot cheaper than a comparable Civic.  Also, Chevy Prizm.  I know you don't like Corollas, but it's cheap, available with a manual, one of the more reliable cars you can buy, and meets all your criteria.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on February 02, 2011, 03:45:33 PM
Keep the Neon, and keep saving your money for school and that stuff.  Work hard, get a good job, you'll be able to buy a much nicer car in a few years.

That being said if you're hell-bent on a new car, I do like my Protege a lot, and it's going to be a lot cheaper than a comparable Civic.  Also, Chevy Prizm.  I know you don't like Corollas, but it's cheap, available with a manual, one of the more reliable cars you can buy, and meets all your criteria.

I'm not going to do that.

And I hate Corollas.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on February 02, 2011, 03:46:42 PM

I'm not going to do that.

That, my friend, is sage advice.

But, of course, you know better.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 02, 2011, 03:52:18 PM
That, my friend, is sage advice.

But, of course, you know better.

I don't want to, plain and simple.

Seriously, I get really tired of you guys telling me to sink money into a clap-trap to keep it running.

It's not that I "know better"  I simply just don't want to.

CJ

And any other older used car isn't going to have problems? 

2o6

hotrodalex

Quote from: CJ on February 02, 2011, 04:46:58 PM
And any other older used car isn't going to have problems? 

I guarantee that you won't be completely happy with a $2-3k car either. They will still have problems and still need to be fixed. Save your money, buy a better car later.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 02, 2011, 04:54:26 PM
I guarantee that you won't be completely happy with a $2-3k car either. They will still have problems and still need to be fixed. Save your money, buy a better car later.

I think this is the best plan. 

2o6

2o6

What do you guys know about these?

CJ

sportyaccordy

Finance something newer and cheap like a Cobalt or something. 3K car is a roll of the dice, you will probably wind up with shit.

3K only sensible options are the Focus, Corolla, Chevy Aveo, Elantra, Accent. Everything else is prob too old or too unreliable

6K things open up. I think you'd be happy w/a Protege 5. You could put down 3K and finance the other 3K over ~2-3 yrs for <150. Get it from a dealer and they might throw in a warranty too.

Mustangfan2003

You can find a nice looking car for 3K, but it will likely have a ton of miles and could use some work.  If you buy used try to find something under 100k miles. 

2o6

Stuff in Ohio is a lot cheaper than NY or MO.

6K *can* (don't quote me on it) you into a Mazda 3.

A Protege5 would be about 3-4K.

A 99-01 Protege (the half step before Pirate's car, which got an engine refresh) is about 2-3K real world. A Focus is a tad cheaper.

If I were to finance, I would get this 07' Focus ST I saw. It was perfect; 5-speed 2.3L Duratec, loaded out. ($5995) However, I don't want to make payments, then get the car repo'ed because the hours at my job got cut.

2o6

Heck, ifcar bought his Focus for around the same price, and he didn't have any problems. He just got tired of it and wanted something newer.