The "How Fast Did You Drive Today" Thread

Started by cawimmer430, February 21, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

2o6

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on March 18, 2011, 02:49:39 PM
Hit about 90 with the top down today.

Argh, top down driving, do not want...

cawimmer430

On the way to Dachau for a big food shopping trip.

Maybe someone can help me figure out my true top speed based on how much RPM leeway I still have. The instruction manual claims the top speed of a 118i is 210 km/h with 6-A/T but I've done "235 km/h" according to the speedo (and at that speed the navigation system says I am doing 225 km/h (-10 km/h based on speedometer). Power output of the 2.0 4-cylinder engine is 143-hp and torque is 190 Nm if that helps the calculations. Need the gear ratios and car weight?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

My dad left the Benz with me and picked up the 1er. It's getting its summer tires fitted. I get to keep the E350 CGI for a week or two.  :praise:

Drove this today. There was some moderate traffic on the Autobahns today which prevented me from driving any faster. I reached 190 km/h later on though.

Here's the car with summer tires and its natural AMG rims. Crap picture taken with my Nokia C7.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

What an awkward gauge that is on the far-left there!  What doth thy measure?!?!?

Eye of the Tiger

I was too busy shifting to see how fast I went in the CTS-V, but my friend said I hit 100 units of distance per time. I was so out of breath after that, I could barely speak. That was two days ago, anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

95 in the Miata on the way home today. It was shaking like the Bird of Prey going around the sun in Star Trek IV.

CALL_911

I hit 90 the other day. Felt great to hit the highway after 2 months without driving.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

According to my GPS's top speed records, the Accent did 105 a couple of weeks ago.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM
What an awkward gauge that is on the far-left there!  What doth thy measure?!?!?

Far left (not in the photo) fuel gauge. The gauge you see is the analog clock.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2011, 10:04:40 AM
What an awkward gauge that is on the far-left there!  What doth thy measure?!?!?
It measures the speed of the car's passage through the fourth dimension! It's called Mercedes Benz CLOCKTRONIC and it is constantly breaking because that kind of thing is difficult to measure reliably.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 29, 2011, 07:00:46 AM
Far left (not in the photo) fuel gauge. The gauge you see is the analog clock.

I was being sarcastic.  Having a giant analog clock like that in my instrument cluster would annoy the fuck out of me.

hounddog

55 today.  (posted limit)

Am headed ot MSU in a few hours, and will be traveling down US-127.  I fully expect to hit the rev limiter on the X5, and I fully intend to hit it for as long as is possible just to see how far I can go before I have to slow down. 

I expect really light traffic, so I will not do the above if traffic is anything other than light.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 29, 2011, 10:01:05 PM
I was being sarcastic.  Having a giant analog clock like that in my instrument cluster would annoy the fuck out of me.

Analog clock = HISTORY & HERITAGE & TRADITION @ Mercedes.

Analog clocks are far more elegant and "old luxury feeling" than that digital stuff. Digital clocks in luxury cars are ghey if you ask me.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 30, 2011, 08:38:23 AM

Analog clocks are far more elegant and "old luxury feeling" than that digital stuff. Digital clocks in luxury cars are ghey if you ask me.  :ohyeah:

VW put a analog clock in one of their cars since 2002 ... well, that car actually also beat the MB S600 in the AM&S comparo :devil:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on March 30, 2011, 09:15:54 AM
VW put a analog clock in one of their cars since 2002 ... well, that car actually also beat the MB S600 in the AM&S comparo :devil:

The Phaeton W12? :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Analog clocks are far more elegant and "old luxury feeling" than that digital stuff. Digital clocks in luxury cars are ghey if you ask me.  :ohyeah:

It's not a matter of whether or not it's analog, it's a matter of it taking up an entire gauge pod and looking retarded. :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 30, 2011, 09:48:58 AM
It's not a matter of whether or not it's analog, it's a matter of it taking up an entire gauge pod and looking retarded. :ohyeah:

That has always been the case at Mercedes. Like I said: TRADITION.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

I fail to understand the point of an analog clock in the gauge cluster and I have my passenger asking me what time it is because they can't see the clock.  Real nice..

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on March 30, 2011, 03:16:06 PM
I fail to understand the point of an analog clock in the gauge cluster and I have my passenger asking me what time it is because they can't see the clock.  Real nice..

Step 1: Look at the analog clock in front of you for the time.
Step 2: Tell the douchebag next to you the time (Turning your head in their direction is optional but adds to the effect.).

Very simple.  :huh:

And most people these days have a watch or a phone - both which can tell time (duh).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

rohan

I went to get coffee today and ended up backing up a local officer on a traffic stop- 120 going there.  :praise:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 30, 2011, 02:36:39 PM
That has always been the case at Mercedes. Like I said: TRADITION.
Still looks stupid. 

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

cawimmer430

Quote from: rohan on March 30, 2011, 07:01:57 PM
Still looks stupid. 

Digital clocks in luxury cars look stupid. Characterless, no elegance, no simplicity...just lame...and stupid.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

rohan

It looks like the engineers were drawing the dashboard and ran out of things to put in the guages and decided "hey we don't have a clock yet how about a clock we could use a clock."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Haha, Volvo 240s had a big 'ole clock next to the speedometer instead of a tach-- even the manuals.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on March 30, 2011, 08:26:58 PM
Haha, Volvo 240s had a big 'ole clock next to the speedometer instead of a tach-- even the manuals.

On old VW's, I'm pretty sure the clock was bigger than the speedo.  :facepalm: