Modern interpretation of the E-Type.

Started by Payman, February 21, 2011, 03:51:26 PM

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2011, 03:13:51 PM

There are other opinions.

http://carspyshots.net/showthread.php?t=19672

What?  Three other people?  You yourself admitted almost everyone thinks otherwise.  There are people who think the Mercedes 300SL, Ferrari Daytona, Aston Martin DB5 and even the original E-type are ugly, but we don't take them seriously.   :ohyeah:

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2011, 03:13:51 PM

I'm taking the high road, but honestly, this forum and the circle-jerk you guys have here is not the end-all of the internet.

Apparently, because I don't think the same way they do, I I'm automatically wrong because I'm young.

No, you're wrong because you criticize the car for being too "literal" and "cliche" when your renderings look like this:

It looks like the time my dog ate too much fiber...

Face it, your renderings look like ass for the most part, yet you rip into this "fan boi" for his interpretation of an E-type.  Don't you recognize the hypocrisy in calling designs "literal" and "cliche" when at best, your past efforts look like clones of Chinese econo-boxes?  Sorry to be so harsh man - when I started out drawing cars, they looked terrible, but I had the good sense not to trash designs and the artist's talent.  In all seriousness, you have positively bizarre taste in cars, so don't be surprised when people question your love for garbage when you call out something like this E-type.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

So, I'm not allowed to think otherwise from YOU?

Thanks, guys.

2o6

Styling is SUBJECTIVE.

I hate this design. You don't.

Move on.

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2011, 03:36:31 PM
So, I'm not allowed to think otherwise from YOU?

Thanks, guys.

Oh, stop with the teenage drama.  "MOM, YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!"  :rolleyes:

Everyone on here has opinions - that's part of the reason why I like it.  When I get into a political tiff with someone, I may disagree with them, but I respect them because more often than not, they defend their position.  But this, it's like if Rupert called me an eco-terrorist then bought himself a Diesel Super Duty so he could run over baby Deer more effectively.  If you're going to criticize a design, go for it, but saying it's "literal" and "cliche" doesn't further your point, especially when your love for wretched econo-trash is well known.  

2o6

And you can't simply say "You like small hatchbacks, so your opinion on this design is invalid".

I say it's literal, because the overall proportions are a truncated and less elegant version of the E-type. I think it's a very high quality rendering; I don't have anywhere near as much of the talent as this guy has; I have seen this guy's work before. He's a talented modeler, but I don't know about his tastes.

I say it's cliche because everything on this design has been done before. The overall proportions are generic FR roadster. The shutlines are generic "purposeful" British racer. The chrome is too much. The wire wheels are just the model enlarged.

It looks cheap, and it doesn't look as classy and elegant as an E-type should be. For example; here's one of my favorite, super-lux concepts:

The shape and details are clearly inspired from Maybach's of old, but the whole car is NEW. It brings so many new design elements to the table. The whole car is styled to look very expensive.

To me, the difference between the Exlero and this rendering is like the difference between Chanel and Charolette Russe. One girl may look nice in the clothing from Charolette Russe, but the stuff from Chanel is just fantastic and looks incredibly awesome. And when the people at Charolette Russe try and imitate the clothes that Chanel offer, it just comes out cheap. It may look nice, but it's an overall a poor imitation of the original.

I really wonder if you guys actually read my posts. I do like small hatches, I think they can be some of the best styled vehicles on the planet. I also think it's fascinating to see China's design language develop. But where did I EVER say that I didn't like traditional cars, or other cars? If anything, I'm more eclectic, because I like MORE cars in different segments than most people.

Quote from: Submariner on February 27, 2011, 03:34:02 PM

It looks like the time my dog ate too much fiber...

Face it, your renderings look like ass for the most part, yet you rip into this "fan boi" for his interpretation of an E-type.  Don't you recognize the hypocrisy in calling designs "literal" and "cliche" when at best, your past efforts look like clones of Chinese econo-boxes?  Sorry to be so harsh man - when I started out drawing cars, they looked terrible, but I had the good sense not to trash designs and the artist's talent.  In all seriousness, you have positively bizarre taste in cars, so don't be surprised when people question your love for garbage when you call out something like this E-type.   

Yet again, do you ever read my posts? That particular car was supposed to be ugly. (I gave up on it, because it just got too ugly)

I may not have the 3D modeling talent, but I know for a fact that I'm a head-over-heels better sketcher/drawer than a 3D modeler.

Submariner

There - See, I still think you're totally wrong, but you defended your beliefs.  

And P.S. there is a lot of gaudy/tacky stuff from Chanel, but your point still stands. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Submariner on February 27, 2011, 03:41:19 PM
Oh, stop with the teenage drama.  "MOM, YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!"  :rolleyes:

Everyone on here has opinions - that's part of the reason why I like it.  When I get into a political tiff with someone, I may disagree with them, but I respect them because more often than not, they defend their position.  But this, it's like if Rupert called me an eco-terrorist then bought himself a Diesel Super Duty so he could run over baby Deer more effectively.  If you're going to criticize a design, go for it, but saying it's "literal" and "cliche" doesn't further your point, especially when your love for wretched econo-trash is well known. 
I don't get the connection. One can make bad music and still have a valid opinion on other music. Plus I'm sure much of the "problem" with 2o6 renderings lies in the gulf of SKILL, not necessarily "artistry". Most of us have little to NO experience in renderings, so I suppose none of us should have any "opinion" on the design. Let's not go down the "credibility" or "consensus' road..... it's silly. Nobody's opinion on this is any more valid than anyone else's.

In any case, I agree w/2o6- it's too close to the original to be a convincing modern interpretation, and the big balla wire wheels are gaudy. Doesn't look "modern" at all, and def has a Russian mobster kit car vibe more than a worthy modern interpretation of the E-type.

2o6

Yeah, I get a huge GAZ/Volga vibe from it, but not as classy or kitschy.

Rupert

Quote from: Submariner on February 27, 2011, 03:41:19 PM
Oh, stop with the teenage drama.  "MOM, YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!"  :rolleyes:

Everyone on here has opinions - that's part of the reason why I like it.  When I get into a political tiff with someone, I may disagree with them, but I respect them because more often than not, they defend their position.  But this, it's like if Rupert called me an eco-terrorist then bought himself a Diesel Super Duty so he could run over baby Deer more effectively.  If you're going to criticize a design, go for it, but saying it's "literal" and "cliche" doesn't further your point, especially when your love for wretched econo-trash is well known.  

Fuckin' baby deer...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Late to the party, but I love it.  Give it a stick, slot it under the XK, and I'll buy one. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2011, 03:59:10 PM
That...is...ghastly.

QuoteThe shape and details are clearly inspired from Maybach's of old, but the whole car is NEW. It brings so many new design elements to the table. The whole car is styled to look very expensive.

I will start with the front and work to the rear;

The nose is a cheaply cloned copy of a Bughatti Veyron combined with Cadillac snow plow but styled to look like the Bat-mobile.  
The side rakes are little more than copies of Acura and Impala mixed together in a gut wrenching version of the new Benz CLS.
The headlights were stolen from the Camery assembly line.
The side-pipes are lousy copies of Shelby Cobras, and probably came directly from the Fast Fords and Muscle Mustangs catalogue.
The wheels are the exact same trailering wheels I have on my boat trailer.
The roofline was a part stolen from the Beetle plant and super glued directly to the body.
The mirrors are taken from a 1977 Chrysler Cordoba and glued to a couple of golf clubs.
And lastly, why would they put a GT gas door on this car?

Let me guess; it is cohesive?

But, hey, if you like it.  :huh:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Submariner

I'm starting to think that the "literal" and "cliche" crowd aren't too familiar withe the original E-type. 

This rendering is, in fact, a vastly reworked E-type.

CALL_911

To be fair, this would be a misfit in Jaguar's current lineup. The XK, XF and XJ all look modern. To have a sudden throwback would just look silly.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 27, 2011, 08:23:24 PM
To be fair, this would be a misfit in Jaguar's current lineup. The XK, XF and XJ all look modern. To have a sudden throwback would just look silly.

Also a point that I didn't put in my other posts.

2o6

Quote from: hounddog on February 27, 2011, 07:19:55 PM
That...is...ghastly.

I will start with the front and work to the rear;

The nose is a cheaply cloned copy of a Bughatti Veyron combined with Cadillac snow plow but styled to look like the Bat-mobile.  
The side rakes are little more than copies of Acura and Impala mixed together in a gut wrenching version of the new Benz CLS.
The headlights were stolen from the Camery assembly line.
The side-pipes are lousy copies of Shelby Cobras, and probably came directly from the Fast Fords and Muscle Mustangs catalogue.
The wheels are the exact same trailering wheels I have on my boat trailer.
The roofline was a part stolen from the Beetle plant and super glued directly to the body.
The mirrors are taken from a 1977 Chrysler Cordoba and glued to a couple of golf clubs.
And lastly, why would they put a GT gas door on this car?

Let me guess; it is cohesive?

But, hey, if you like it.  :huh:

You only flamed my post because I posted it. The Excelero is old and is a pretty well acclaimed design. Shame that Maybach never did anything with it, and stuck to building gaudy, less-attractive S-classes. I would have at least settled for a limited run.

To me, this rendering just looks so cheap. This looks cheaper than the cheapest model Jag makes; the XF. It can't even hold the XK's coat. The old XJ looks classy and expensive, despite being a fundamentally old design. This rendering looks like a C6 Vette underneath by some aspiring kit car manufacturer.

If Mitsuoka put more effort into their cars, I could picture a new Mitsuoka using this design, with maybe a Nissan 370Z underneath. But as a Jag? Not a chance.

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on February 27, 2011, 07:58:49 PM
I'm starting to think that the "literal" and "cliche" crowd aren't too familiar withe the original E-type.  

This rendering is, in fact, a vastly reworked E-type.

See! That's the problem, it looks like a cheapened version of the old one.

A good example of how to do it right would be what MB did with the 300SL into the SLS Gullwing.

hounddog

Quote from: 2o6 on February 27, 2011, 09:14:30 PM
You only flamed my post because I posted it.
I flamed it because it just deserving on the post, not because it was you. 

Step off your horse, friend.

QuoteTo me, this rendering just looks so cheap. This looks cheaper than the cheapest model Jag makes; the XF. It can't even hold the XK's coat. The old XJ looks classy and expensive, despite being a fundamentally old design. This rendering looks like a C6 Vette underneath by some aspiring kit car manufacturer.
In your opinion.   

QuoteIf Mitsuoka put more effort into their cars, I could picture a new Mitsuoka using this design, with maybe a Nissan 370Z underneath. But as a Jag? Not a chance.
Again, in your opinion. 

I can easily see Jag making this car as a limited edition, and only selling a handful per year. 

It is no more or less salable than the Chevy Camero or the Mustang.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

2o6

What do you think I'm spouting, fact?

Even so, the Excelero was introduced in 2005, before most of those cars even came out.

2o6

Even so, Jag can come up with something far better. They have a team of designers for this stuff. They don't have to depend on one guy's wet dream and the approval of people who will never buy the car anyways.

hounddog

You act as if you are, yes.

And, every single car I mentioned was out at least by 2005.

:huh:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

2o6

SVT666

Personally, I think the rendering looks better than the original.  I understand where 2o6 is coming from and his objections to it.  I disagree with him...completely, but he has already explained his position very well in a post further up this page and we should move on now. 

BTW, the Excelero is and always has been sexy.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on February 27, 2011, 09:53:35 PM

Except for the Batman grill. Can't stand that.

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2011, 04:56:36 PM
Don't like the quad headlamps, but the rest looks great.

This same car showed up on the E-type list at jag-lovers.org.  No one liked the quad headlamps there either. 

I don't care for the vents just forward of the doors.  Seems like every manufacturer has to add those now. I guess it's the current "gotta have" styling cue.   

Byteme

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 27, 2011, 08:23:24 PM

No more so than the Mustang and Camaro are misfits in Ford's and Chevrolet's current lineup. 

omicron

And besides, the XF and XJ are unattractive, and hopefully only temporary abominations. Not looking like them is an advantage.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: omicron on February 28, 2011, 06:36:29 AM
And besides, the XF and XJ are unattractive, and hopefully only temporary abominations. Not looking like them is an advantage.
Blasphemy! He is a witch!!!!

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on February 27, 2011, 09:53:35 PM
Personally, I think the rendering looks better than the original.  I understand where 2o6 is coming from and his objections to it.  I disagree with him...completely, but he has already explained his position very well in a post further up this page and we should move on now. 

Coupe to coupe, yes, I think this is better looking than the original. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 28, 2011, 06:42:16 AM
Blasphemy! He is a witch!!!!

No, he's right, completely.  The XF isn't as bad, but it's derivative and looks like a Lexus, and the XJ is just hideous.  I saw one again the other day, from the back, and was horrified. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

The XF is just a very bland car, which is a travesty for a Jaguar.