Engine rattle at idle and low speeds

Started by Alan, February 26, 2011, 06:05:52 PM

Alan

The engine in my 98 Corolla is rattling loudly at low speeds and at idle.  It seems to have gotten worse over the past few days and what is strange is that it doesn't do it when I am uphill.  Here is a link to the sound...  anyone know what this may be?

Here is the link to the .amr file on Google Documents... wasn't sure what other site I could put it on to play automatically...
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7G56nU8pAA9OTgyYmM3NzEtYzBiNC00NTM5LTlmNjAtZTkxMDdmZDgzNGY0&hl=en&authkey=CPG5s2o

Secret Chimp

Probably a loose heat shield or bad springs in the exhaust (some Japanese cars have studs with springs in between the flange and the nut that rust and cause a rattle)

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Alan

Where would the heat shield be?  Under the hood or under the car?  With the hood open, it sounds like the noise is coming from inside the engine.

Rupert

There are usually heat shields around the exhaust area under the hood. I'd look there first, but they are kind of hard to miss once you're looking for them.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

There's one right on top of the exhaust manifold, by guess that'd be most prone to not rattle on an incline (since it's the most upright of any heat shields in a FWD car). Most of the rest are usually in the center tunnel or near the firewall.

Alan

The rattles was for weeks and it suddenly stopped last night and has not reappeared.  I think the heat shield fell off somewhere...

The Pirate

Quote from: Alan on February 27, 2011, 11:47:21 AM
The rattles was for weeks and it suddenly stopped last night and has not reappeared.  I think the heat shield fell off somewhere...

Problem solved!  That's how I fix heat shields too.  Have one in the trunk right now.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Yup, perfect. The best kind of car problem.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Alan

Good thing I hit that pothole cause that rattle was really getting on my nerves  :lol:

the Teuton

Haha. Heat shield removal isn't harmful to a car's operation at all, fortunately.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Alan

The rattle return today after one week of silence... it isn't rattling 100% of the time though.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Alan on March 05, 2011, 09:32:40 PM
The rattle return today after one week of silence... it isn't rattling 100% of the time though.

Evidently they were able to repair the shields, but they are not at full power. The Romulans will make quick work of this.

Rupert

Alan

I had it looked at and the noise is coming from the power steering pump.  I do not think the pump is dead because the noise actually goes away when I turn the wheel, not get louder like I have been reading on the internet.

I had the high pressure hose replaced a few months ago, and I also read that there could be air in the pump.  It was suggested to turn the wheel from side to side to get the air out of the pump... I did and the noise went away for about 5 days, but now it is back.  Any suggestions?

S204STi

Is the fluid level correct?  If so you should only have to bleed the system once. 

Alan

Fluid level was perfect.. no leaks.  I got in the car last night and could barely turn the wheel... my entire pump has died.  It is being fixed today.

S204STi

I guess the shaft inside the pump broke and finally the thing gave up the ghost.