How fast have you driven? AKA, the inverse of your IQ.

Started by S204STi, March 10, 2011, 11:48:33 AM

What is the fastest have you driven an automobile?  We can keep this anonymous.

75-99mph
4 (8.5%)
100-109mph
7 (14.9%)
110-119mph
5 (10.6%)
120-129mph
8 (17%)
130-139mph
9 (19.1%)
140-149mph
6 (12.8%)
150+mph
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24432.msg1481673#msg1481673 date=1299846363
I'm not sure how accurate my GPS speedometer is.  It's usually 2-3mph higher than my indicated speed in the Jetta, depending on how high I go.  I also once got pegged at 85 when I swore I was doing 80, so maybe my car's speedo is actually pessimistic at speed.

I was under the impression that most GPSs (Garmin, TomTom, etc) are pretty accurate on MPH.  Mine's always matched the speed shown on those safety radar units ("Your speed is___") that the cops move from place to place.

the Teuton

Fastest gone: 135 in the back seat of an E36 BMW M3. Awesome experience to see sparks fly up past your window as the car braked from that speed down to 50 mph.

Fastest I've ever driven: 92ish in the Saturn.

Quickest I've ever accelerated: My friend's BMW has shorter gears, so it's a bit quicker than a stock M3. Also, E39 M5...evil, frightening, awesome experience.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Xer0

I took my old Civic to like 105 for a little bit.  It pretty much felt like the little death trap that I'm sure it was.

Byteme

I'm really hoping Andy Green chimes in on this one. 

Laconian

I chastised myself afterward. Too many negative consequences could have resulted from that.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

I think the fastest I've gone was about 105 wayyyyy back when in the Monte Carlo.  I've only hit about 95-ish in the A4 so far.  My balls seem to have shrunk. :confused: :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 11, 2011, 11:54:31 AM
I think the fastest I've gone was about 105 wayyyyy back when in the Monte Carlo.  I've only hit about 95-ish in the A4 so far.  My balls seem to have shrunk. :confused: :lol:
No, that's just brain development. The part of your brain that mulls over the consequences of your actions was not fully developed when you were 16.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

I decided at some point that I was lucky to have escaped unscathed and unticketed from all the too-fast-for-public-roads driving I'd done, and that I was due for a big accident or ticket. Now when I go fast, it's not totally ridiculously fast. I used to hit 100 mph almost every week.

I would still like to go super fast (>150 mph), but it would have to be on a closed course or track. There are too many variables in the real world.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

Quote from: Laconian on March 11, 2011, 11:53:05 AM

I chastised myself afterward. Too many negative consequences could have resulted from that.
Depends on the area, and the condition of the car.

115 in a residential?  Severe beating worthy.
115 on a rural country road?  Stupid, but not the worst thing I have ever seen.
115 on a lightly traveled interstate?  Ticketworthy, but that is about it.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on March 11, 2011, 05:26:03 AM
I'm not sure how accurate my GPS speedometer is.  It's usually 2-3mph higher than my indicated speed in the Jetta, depending on how high I go.  I also once got pegged at 85 when I swore I was doing 80, so maybe my car's speedo is actually pessimistic at speed.

I definitely trust my GPS more than my speedo. Another good test is those "LOL THIS IS HOW FAST YOU'RE GOING SLOW DOWN" signs that they have on the side of the road.

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 11, 2011, 01:25:55 PM
I definitely trust my GPS more than my speedo.

Good that you mention that. My GPS system in my Garmin navigation system says I am doing 225 km/h while at the same time my speedometer in the BMW reads 235 km/h. Which of these two readouts to trust? I have no idea...  :huh:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

The GPS. Or you could do some math and figure out the speed by the engine speed and gearing.

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 11, 2011, 02:15:25 PM
The GPS. Or you could do some math and figure out the speed by the engine speed and gearing.

Hey hey slow down there! What do I look like? A rocket scientist? :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

GPS is almost always more accurate at that speed, especially if you are going a constant speed.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

SVT_Power

Didn't C&D or someone do an accurate comparison of speedo vs actual speed? And they found the general trend was the germans read higher than everyone else?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Rupert

Yup. Which cracked me up, precise people that they purport to be. :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

I've seen an indicated (Suzuki speedos read high) 163 mph on my last Gixxer. In my Z28 I've been over 150 mph at least 5 times.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Speed_Racer

110+ in a VW Sharan TDI in Argentina.
100 in the MR2.
Tapped 100 on the Ninja yesterday actually. It was on a barren farm route with a 12 mile straightaway. I'm definitely taking my MR2 there soon.

dazzleman

I'm not sure of my top speed, but it was somewhere a bit above 100 mph.  I get up into that territory very rarely.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on March 11, 2011, 08:18:59 PM
I'm not sure of my top speed, but it was somewhere a bit above 100 mph.  I get up into that territory very rarely.
granny 530 is holding you back
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on March 11, 2011, 11:53:05 AM

You can only die once.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24432.msg1481986#msg1481986 date=1299900223
You can only die once.

Unless you're a cat. 

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: 68_427 on March 11, 2011, 08:25:25 PM
Or baby jesus.

I'm pretty sure baby Jesus can only die once. It's adult zombie Jesus that you have to watch out for.

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 11, 2011, 07:36:57 PM
Didn't C&D or someone do an accurate comparison of speedo vs actual speed? And they found the general trend was the germans read higher than everyone else?

I've heard that too, and I think it's correct.  If I calculate my speed using the GPS, it comes in a couple of MPH below what the speedometer reads.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on March 11, 2011, 07:39:51 PM
Yup. Which cracked me up, precise people that they purport to be. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that only applies to BMWs - to give those guys the feeling that they're driving faster than their 318i can really go!  :devil:

Also, at 230 km/h+ it is pretty much irrelevant if you're doing 230 km/h or 240 km/h or 250 km/h - you're traveling damned fast.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

I've been in a car (truck, actually) traveling over 170 mph, but that was on a racetrack.

Fastest on a public road, around 130-135 in a friend's Integra GS-R.

Fastest in my car, around 100-110.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on March 12, 2011, 07:53:51 AM
I've been in a car (truck, actually) traveling over 170 mph, but that was on a racetrack.

Fastest on a public road, around 130-135 in a friend's Integra GS-R.

Fastest in my car, around 100-110.

You never got arrested for excessive speed, did you?

MexicoCityM3

Hit the limiter on the M3s a couple of times on deserted highways, so about 155mph. Also did an indicated 280kph in an F599 at the track.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)