How fast have you driven? AKA, the inverse of your IQ.

Started by S204STi, March 10, 2011, 11:48:33 AM

What is the fastest have you driven an automobile?  We can keep this anonymous.

75-99mph
4 (8.5%)
100-109mph
7 (14.9%)
110-119mph
5 (10.6%)
120-129mph
8 (17%)
130-139mph
9 (19.1%)
140-149mph
6 (12.8%)
150+mph
8 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 42

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on March 10, 2011, 03:21:21 PM
Around 100MPH in the Neon. However, it's limited to 109, so I didn't have much more to go.

And I remembered the safety ratings of the car and I slowed down.

Hmm...I got mine to an indicated 117 IIRC (going downhill though).

Prelude has been to 120-125. Haven't gotten it above 90 since then though.

Tave

Quote from: dazzleman on March 12, 2011, 08:30:24 AM
You never got arrested for excessive speed, did you?

haha, no, that's one merit badge I don't have
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Colonel Cadillac

I hit the A4's governor which is set at 132 on the interstate in Mississippi. Mississippi and Alabama (although less so in 'Bama) are great states to cruise at 100 MPH. Keep the fuzz buster on full alert and keep an eye out down the road, and you'll be fine cruising at pretty illegal speeds in those states. At that speed, you actually start seriously saving time.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 13, 2011, 10:55:25 AM
I hit the A4's governor which is set at 132 on the interstate in Mississippi. Mississippi and Alabama (although less so in 'Bama) are great states to cruise at 100 MPH. Keep the fuzz buster on full alert and keep an eye out down the road, and you'll be fine cruising at pretty illegal speeds in those states. At that speed, you actually start seriously saving time.

Be careful down there, man.  I'm sure the Mississippi staties would salivate at the chance to pick up a rich yankee boy from Connecticut.  We may never hear from you again.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2011, 08:12:27 AM
haha, no, that's one merit badge I don't have

:lol:
It's never too late to get that merit badge....
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on March 13, 2011, 11:28:33 AM
Be careful down there, man.  I'm sure the Mississippi staties would salivate at the chance to pick up a rich yankee boy from Connecticut.  We may never hear from you again.

Haha, we'll see about that also. I have good brakes, so as soon as I hear the radar detector I'm back in the legal speed territory. I think there is some merit in saying I'm pretty good at it.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 13, 2011, 11:58:11 AM

Haha, we'll see about that also. I have good brakes, so as soon as I hear the radar detector I'm back in the legal speed territory.

Last time I got nailed, it was with lidar (laser).  Also, they can use instant-on radar.  I was with a buddy of mine when he got nailed by instant-on radar, even though he was using a radar detector.

Maybe instead of good brakes, you need to stomp the accelerator and get away if the detector goes off..... :evildude:

hotrodalex

Quote from: dazzleman on March 13, 2011, 12:00:45 PM
Last time I got nailed, it was with lidar (laser).  Also, they can use instant-on radar.  I was with a buddy of mine when he got nailed by instant-on radar, even though he was using a radar detector.

Maybe instead of good brakes, you need to stomp the accelerator and get away if the detector goes off..... :evildude:

A couple of nights ago I passed a cop doing about 50 in what I think is a 35, same as when I got pulled over. If I saw him start to turn around, I was going to gun it. I was in a good area to get lost in.

Of course I might have been fine anyway, it might be a 45 zone.

CJ

I've been up to 130 in my friend Hayley's V70 T5 that used to belong to my friend Gabe, who then bought an 01 S500...then he sold that and fixed his S70 T5.

dazzleman

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 13, 2011, 02:01:26 PM
A couple of nights ago I passed a cop doing about 50 in what I think is a 35, same as when I got pulled over. If I saw him start to turn around, I was going to gun it. I was in a good area to get lost in.

Of course I might have been fine anyway, it might be a 45 zone.

You're a badass..... :praise:

Just be careful, man.

Rupert

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 13, 2011, 11:58:11 AM

Haha, we'll see about that also. I have good brakes, so as soon as I hear the radar detector I'm back in the legal speed territory. I think there is some merit in saying I'm pretty good at it.

Not like bad brakes won't slow you down fast enough, eh? ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Rupert on March 13, 2011, 02:26:06 PM
Not like bad brakes won't slow you down fast enough, eh? ;)

Precisely, the key to going fast is being able to stop very quickly. You shouldn't go as fast if you can brake well.

Rupert

That's good logic for a race car at race car speeds on a race track, but, uh, on a freeway or open highway? I doubt very much that you are going so fast that you need super good brakes. I'm pretty sure any Camcord made in the last two decades could do the speeds you do and stop well within the margin of safety. I think you're looking for justification for speeding in your high-end German luxury car. ;)

Which is not to say that you shouldn't speed. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Colonel Cadillac

The faster you're going, the faster you need to react if problems arise.

Rupert

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on March 13, 2011, 03:14:19 PM
No kidding. Any modern car reacts fast enough.

It's people's reaction times that are often the cause for concern.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Rupert on March 13, 2011, 03:14:19 PM
No kidding. Any modern car reacts fast enough.

What qualifies as a modern car? I've driven my friend's 99 Buick and its brakes are terrible, I definitely wouldn't speed too much in that car.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 13, 2011, 03:38:42 PM
It's people's reaction times that are often the cause for concern.

Exactly. I'm far more worried about driver ability than I am car ability on public roads at public road speed (even if that is 100 mph).

Rupert

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 13, 2011, 04:27:25 PM
What qualifies as a modern car? I've driven my friend's 99 Buick and its brakes are terrible, I definitely wouldn't speed too much in that car.

Once I drove a Jeep that stalled on me. I guess all Jeeps stall?

I was making a generalization, and so were you.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Rupert on March 13, 2011, 04:59:36 PM
Once I drove a Jeep that stalled on me. I guess all Jeeps stall?

I was making a generalization, and so were you.

:rolleyes: Ignore the argument

Rupert

Your argument was that you once drove a modern car with crappy brakes. My reply is, ... so what?

dazzleman

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Rupert on March 13, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
Your argument was that you once drove a modern car with crappy brakes. My reply is, ... so what?

Me: The faster you go, the faster you need to react
You: All cars react fast enough
Me: No they don't, this experience in a modern car suggests that they do not
You: You're generalizing, and I was too...so what

Not all cars react fast enough (their brakes suck), so therefore should not be going 100 MPH even though they can go that fast.

Someone can react too slowly to something, but if their brakes were better they may not rear end the person in front of them.

Rupert

:rolleyes:

Your evidence is anecdotal, which isn't any better than my assumptions. So have fun with that.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 13, 2011, 04:27:25 PM

Imagine how much worse they were in a '51 Buick.

The bell curve of stopping power has shifted.

The Pirate

Hit 135 mph in a 1996 Corvette LT4 6-speed.  I've been to 115 mph in the Mazda, which is probably as fast as it will go.  I've gotten the Audi to 110 mph.  Car mags and stats say it's good for 128 mph, but I doubt I'll ever push it up there. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: thecarnut on March 10, 2011, 01:21:32 PM
About 102-103 mph in the Miata. I've hit 100 in the Accord but neither car is particularly quick in getting up to that speed.
Just remembered I've done 110 in the 7. That thing is blazing fast.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Northlands

Ok, most of this was years ago during my teen/early 20's idiocy days.

A little over 200 kmh in an Integra ( 92 ). Took a while.

About 220 kmh in an Acura Legend ( also a 92 ). Did not take that long.

165ish-170 ish in an '85 Civic. Took a while. Very scary, and a slight decline in landscape. May have been some wind assistance that day too.  :lol:

Most horrifying was about 95 mph in a 1982 Buick. Speedo read to 140 km/h, but the needle was plenty buried, rpms increasing after being buried, and this was one floaty sea sick car. Caveat is that I never drove the car, but was the passenger.

I may have maxed out my current car, but not sure. I shut it down after about 180-183 km/h. Uneventful run as well.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on March 13, 2011, 12:00:45 PM

Did the stomp the gas as soon as I see the cop turn the lights on thing once. Worked but did reasonable speed for the rest of the way home...  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna