The Ultimate Car

Started by SVT666, March 21, 2011, 09:05:08 PM

NomisR

But "ultimate" car though?

MrH

Who knows?  The kid likes chinese cars, so I stopped listening awhile ago :lol:

I'd have to go with an E92 M3, or a 911 Turbo.  Both represent something comfortable enough to daily drive, kind of practical, gorgeous, and brutally fast.  It'd be a tough call between the two as my daily driver if I won the lottery.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on March 23, 2011, 01:31:07 PM
Who knows?  The kid likes chinese cars, so I stopped listening awhile ago :lol:

I'd have to go with an E92 M3, or a 911 Turbo.  Both represent something comfortable enough to daily drive, kind of practical, gorgeous, and brutally fast.  It'd be a tough call between the two as my daily driver if I won the lottery.

Dude, dream big.. if you won the lotto.. you'd want something better than those 2 cars..

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2011, 01:38:50 PM
Dude, dream big.. if you won the lotto.. you'd want something better than those 2 cars..

To daily drive?  Likely not.  Maybe a Boxster-S as the daily driver, something bigger and more practical (Cayenne or Range Rover or something for snow), and a GT3 RS for track work.

I don't think I'd buy anything more expensive than that or more than 3 cars either  :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on March 23, 2011, 01:40:20 PM
To daily drive?  Likely not.  Maybe a Boxster-S as the daily driver, something bigger and more practical (Cayenne or Range Rover or something for snow), and a GT3 RS for track work.

I don't think I'd buy anything more expensive than that or more than 3 cars either  :huh:

If I won the lotto, providing it's 100+ mil, i'd get a house with a 12+ car garage and fill the damn thing up.. and then maybe a hanger to fill that up too.

2o6

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2011, 01:00:45 PM
But "ultimate" car though?

Making an elise an "ultimate" car is stupid in my world. I can't afford that, and I can't drive it in the winter.

Having an ultimate car that I won't be able to afford or drive, does not make any sense to me.

NomisR

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2011, 01:48:21 PM
Making an elise an "ultimate" car is stupid in my world. I can't afford that, and I can't drive it in the winter.

Having an ultimate car that I won't be able to afford or drive, does not make any sense to me.

Ultimate car doesn't really mean it would be something you have to afford, at least to me.. just something you think would be the end all and be all to cars..

That's why people don't think the SHO should be it.. but under your definition, I can see where you're coming from.

2o6

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2011, 01:52:36 PM
Ultimate car doesn't really mean it would be something you have to afford, at least to me.. just something you think would be the end all and be all to cars..

That's why people don't think the SHO should be it.. but under your definition, I can see where you're coming from.

The SHO was just off the top of my head.

Vinsanity

I think 2o6 is trying to define the ultimate well-rounded car. Which is what made me think of the CLS63 first. If I were in the mood for something even more low-key than that, E90 M3 sedan.

Vinsanity

Quote from: omicron on March 23, 2011, 07:05:08 AM
I'm very strongly considering a Range Rover, and possibly even the new 4.4 turbodiesel V8.

I like where you're going with that. Ultimate go-anywhere car. My preference would be for either the latest Land Cruiser, or the latest G-wagen.

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 23, 2011, 02:37:11 PM
I think 2o6 is trying to define the ultimate well-rounded car. Which is what made me think of the CLS63 first. If I were in the mood for something even more low-key than that, E90 M3 sedan.

If we're talking about the Ultimate Well-Rounded car, i think something like the Prodrive P2 would fit the bill.

Street legal Rally car...

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2011, 01:47:16 PM
If I won the lotto, providing it's 100+ mil, i'd get a house with a 12+ car garage and fill the damn thing up.. and then maybe a hanger to fill that up too.

+1

I as well would fill up a 12 car garage and then move onto a hanger to accommodate my ever increasing collection.

I would also probably pay someone to help me physically pay all my bills, cuz with all those cars bills definitely add up.  

Colonel Cadillac

I'm thinking ultimate car for me would be an Audi RS4. Manual, AWD for the snow, fast as hell, practical size...

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on March 22, 2011, 09:43:02 PM

I would be upset at myself using such a nice car in the snow, necessitating a 2nd car for the winter, and defying the idea of my ultimate car.

Hmm.  Then why not something like a WRX?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: 2o6 on March 22, 2011, 09:52:17 PM
It's still an Audi.

Quattro.  It loves snow.

Audi uses galvanized metal on the steel cars for increased corrosion protection.  My 23 year old Audi has less rust than my 10 year old Mazda.

Cars are meant to driven.  Year round.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

GoCougs

I'm going to make my own ultimate car:

V6, 6sp, M/T, AWD Accord Sedan.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on March 23, 2011, 08:41:48 PM

So a TL SH-AWD. I'd hesitate to call that the ultimate car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

Quote from: The Pirate on March 23, 2011, 08:01:32 PM
Audi uses galvanized metal on the steel cars for increased corrosion protection. 
I would be a nickle that everyone who makes sheet metal cars uses galvanized both sides sheet metal since Ford started doing it back in the 80s.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24490.msg1487807#msg1487807 date=1300925613
Hmm.  Then why not something like a WRX?

I'm a Mitsubishi guy.

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 23, 2011, 08:58:26 PM
So a TL SH-AWD. I'd hesitate to call that the ultimate car.

I wouldn't. That fits the definition of my ultimate car.

Onslaught

2o6

Onslaught

The Pirate

Quote from: hounddog on March 23, 2011, 09:30:32 PM
I would be a nickle that everyone who makes sheet metal cars uses galvanized both sides sheet metal since Ford started doing it back in the 80s.

As I understand it, Audi uses a fully zinc coated body shell and chassis, which is a more comprehensive process than just galvanizing the body panels (which is the case with many other manufacturers).

This per a customer at my work who has owned a foreign car repair business for 20+ years.  Trying to find information to corroborate this for you (other than the anecdotal fact that you don't see as much rust on 20 year old Audis as you do on other equally old vehicles :lol:).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Colonel Cadillac

I nominate 2o6 and Cougs to head up Carspin's very first Unthusiast Club.

2o6

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 23, 2011, 10:09:39 PM
I nominate 2o6 and Cougs to head up Carspin's very first Unthusiast Club.

Huh?

Rupert

What huh? You guys picked a Taurus and an Accord as your ultimate cars!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on March 23, 2011, 02:43:33 PM
If we're talking about the Ultimate Well-Rounded car, i think something like the Prodrive P2 would fit the bill.

Street legal Rally car...

Whose leg would I have to hump to get one of those fo' realz?

If Ferrari could build the P4/5, and if Lancia could build the Stratos...and if Prodrive's Aston could build the One-77, how much could it possibly cost to build an anti-lag 500 hp AWD supercar based on a kei car?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

ultimate (adj) /uhh-teel-mitte/
the best; superlatively great; significantly better than tauruses that were pretty good in their day but now are really just kind of meh because the 90s were just sort of shit times overall
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on March 23, 2011, 08:41:48 PM

It's official.  Unthusiast.