Consumer Guide review: 06 Grand Vitara

Started by ifcar, September 18, 2005, 12:12:46 PM

TBR

This vehicle probably has a better powertrain than its competitors do, very nice :)

ifcar

Why do you say that? I believe it's the same engine as the current XL-7, which is nothing special at all.  

TBR

Mainly because of the manual transmission. ;) But, I thought the 2.7l was extremely smooth? And, look what its competition has! There is nothing special about the I4s of the Rav4 and CR-V or even the V6 of the Escape.

ifcar

Especially smooth? It's not standing out in my mind, but maybe.

In the XL-7, it was underpowered and rather noisy, but that could be attributed to that car's extra weight. But aside from the manual option, I doubt this engine will prove much better than such V6s as the Santa Fe/Tucson/Sportage 2.7, Liberty 3.7, or the RAV 2.4, which I do not hold in high regard. The CR-V 2.4 is a very nice engine, and I do like the Escape 3.0 and 2.3, Santa Fe/Sorento 3.5, even the Equinox/Torrent 3.4. And of course there's the 06 RAV's 3.5.  

Raghavan

QuoteEspecially smooth? It's not standing out in my mind, but maybe.

In the XL-7, it was underpowered and rather noisy, but that could be attributed to that car's extra weight. But aside from the manual option, I doubt this engine will prove much better than such V6s as the Santa Fe/Tucson/Sportage 2.7, Liberty 3.7, or the RAV 2.4, which I do not hold in high regard. The CR-V 2.4 is a very nice engine, and I do like the Escape 3.0 and 2.3, Santa Fe/Sorento 3.5, even the Equinox/Torrent 3.4. And of course there's the 06 RAV's 3.5.
Besides the upcoming Rav4's 3.5, i don't see a nicer engine than this.
And besides, this thing is REAR drive, bitches. :praise:  

ifcar

What's nice about this engine? Low power, rather low displacement.

TBR

Only the Escape/Tribute and Forester XT have more power without having much, much more weight as well.

Raghavan

QuoteWhat's nice about this engine? Low power, rather low displacement.
But it's better than all the competitors except the new rav's engine and the forester XT.

mazda6er

Small utes with equal or lesser displacement AND equal or lesser hp:

BMW X3 (base)
Honda Element
Honda CRV
Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute/Mercury Mariner (base)
Hyundai Santa Fe (base)
Hyundai Tuscon (base)
Jeep Liberty (base)
Jeep Wrangler (base)
Land Rover Freelander
Mitsubishi Outlander
Saturn Vue (base)
Subaru Forester (base)
Toyota RAV4

Granted many of those have more powerful engine options, but they all start with less power.

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

BMW X3 (base)
Honda Element
Honda CRV
Hyundai Santa Fe (base)
Hyundai Tuscon (base)
Jeep Liberty (base)
Jeep Wrangler (base)
Land Rover Freelander
Mitsubishi Outlander
Saturn Vue (base)
Subaru Forester (base)
Toyota RAV4

Granted many of those have more powerful engine options, but they all start with less power.
the X3 2.5 is dead. ;)  

mazda6er

Whose side are you on?! :angry:

Yeah, you're right.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

QuoteWhose side are you on?! :angry:

Yeah, you're right.
Yours. ;)
Sides, the X3 costs about $12 grand more, so that's out of the question. :praise:  

mazda6er

Yeah, you're right.
Yours. ;)
Sides, the X3 costs about $12 grand more, so that's out of the question. :praise:
Out of the question for what?

If the lower engine option still existed on the BMW, it would only serve to further our point.... <_<  It can only help to argue that an SUV from a luxury marque that is significantly more expensive than the Suzuki has less power than it. Unfortunately that's no longer an option.
--Mark

Raghavan

Yeah, you're right.
Yours. ;)
Out of the question for what?

If the lower engine option still existed on the BMW, it would only serve to further our point.... <_<  It can only help to argue that an SUV from a luxury marque that is significantly more expensive than the Suzuki has less power than it. Unfortunately that's no longer an option.
I thought we were talking about SUV's that were small and cheap too.

ifcar

QuoteOnly the Escape/Tribute and Forester XT have more power without having much, much more weight as well.
HP/L is your criteria for what makes a good engine? Ricer.  :P  

ifcar

But it's better than all the competitors except the new rav's engine and the forester XT.
Based on...

TBR

QuoteOnly the Escape/Tribute and Forester XT have more power without having much, much more weight as well.
Who said anything about hp/liter? It is a simple fact that only a handful of the Grand Vitara's competitors have more power.

mazda6er

BMW X3 (base - used to)
Honda Element
Honda CRV
Hyundai Santa Fe (base)
Hyundai Tuscon (base)
Jeep Liberty (base)
Jeep Wrangler (base)
Land Rover Freelander
Mitsubishi Outlander
Saturn Vue (base)
Subaru Forester (base)
Toyota RAV4

--Mark

ifcar

BMW X3 (base)
Honda Element
Honda CRV
Hyundai Santa Fe (base)
Hyundai Tuscon (base)
Jeep Liberty (base)
Jeep Wrangler (base)
Land Rover Freelander
Mitsubishi Outlander
Saturn Vue (base)
Subaru Forester (base)
Toyota RAV4

And all but two are four-cylinders.

Being standard doesn't make it a better engine.

mazda6er

BMW X3 (base)
Honda Element
Honda CRV
Hyundai Santa Fe (base)
Hyundai Tuscon (base)
Jeep Liberty (base)
Jeep Wrangler (base)
Land Rover Freelander
Mitsubishi Outlander
Saturn Vue (base)
Subaru Forester (base)
Toyota RAV4

It does, however make the Suzuki more powerful than all of the vehicles I listed, base vs. base. If you'll notice, 5 of them do not have better engine options, so the Suzuki is more powerful than any trim of those vehicles.
--Mark

ifcar

Who said anything about hp/liter? It is a simple fact that only a handful of the Grand Vitara's competitors have more power.
Wasn't reading carefully, too many things going on. Looking at hp vs. weight:

Grand Vitara: 185, 3582
Santa Fe: 200, 3752
Liberty: 210, 3851
Vue: 250, 3630
RAV4 (06): 268 (weight unknown, but unlikely to be much more than the GV, current version only weighs 3119)

Furthermore, having more power than 4-cylinder competitors doesn't make it a good engine. A Chrysler Sebring 2.7 has more hp than an Accord 2.4, does that make the Sebring's a better engine?

ifcar

BMW X3 (base)
Honda Element
Honda CRV
Hyundai Santa Fe (base)
Hyundai Tuscon (base)
Jeep Liberty (base)
Jeep Wrangler (base)
Land Rover Freelander
Mitsubishi Outlander
Saturn Vue (base)
Subaru Forester (base)
Toyota RAV4

It does, however make the Suzuki more powerful than all of the vehicles I listed, base vs. base. If you'll notice, 5 of them do not have better engine options, so the Suzuki is more powerful than any trim of those vehicles.
Irrelevent. I'm talking about the engine, not the car. Making a mediocre engine standard doesn't make it a better engine.

mazda6er

QuoteIrrelevent. I'm talking about the engine, not the car. Making a mediocre engine standard doesn't make it a better engine.
And what am I talking about, lollipops and unicorns? I'm not suggesting the engine is "better" because it's standard, I'm saying the engine is more powerful, because it IS.

I believe this was your comment, which started the debate:

That, to me, would suggest that you find the engine to be lacking in both the hp and displacement departments.

Well answer this question: Of those 13 SUVs I listed, which one has either more displacement or more hp than the Vitara?

--Mark

ifcar

QuoteIrrelevent. I'm talking about the engine, not the car. Making a mediocre engine standard doesn't make it a better engine.
And what am I talking about, lollipops and unicorns? I'm not suggesting the engine is "better" because it's standard, I'm saying the engine is more powerful, because it IS.

That, to me, would suggest that you find the engine to be lacking in both the hp and displacement departments.

Well answer this question: Of those 13 SUVs I listed, which one has either more displacement or more hp than the Vitara?
My comment was in response to "Besides the upcoming Rav4's 3.5, i don't see a nicer engine than this."

There isn't really anything especially nice about this engine. It doesn't have much power except compared to a group of 4-cylinders that you brought up (most of which have higher end engine options). I didn't bother to bring up this engine's lack of refinement in the XL-7, it didn't seem relevent to the sort of concerns that the member whom I just quoted (Rag) would have about an engine.

So what is especially nice about this engine? All you've said is that it is standard equipment, and has more power than the standard engines on a number of other small SUVs. I'm talking only about the engine.  

Raghavan

Based on...
performance...

mazda6er

My comment was in response to "Besides the upcoming Rav4's 3.5, i don't see a nicer engine than this."

There isn't really anything especially nice about this engine. It doesn't have much power except compared to a group of 4-cylinders that you brought up (most of which have higher end engine options). I didn't bother to bring up this engine's lack of refinement in the XL-7, it didn't seem relevent to the sort of concerns that the member whom I just quoted (Rag) would have about an engine.

So what is especially nice about this engine? All you've said is that it is standard equipment, and has more power than the standard engines on a number of other small SUVs. I'm talking only about the engine.
Alright if, let's get this straight. I...am...also...only...talking...about...the...engine. Slow enough for you? Let's for a moment, for the sake of your comprehension, pretend that the cars themselves do not exist. Let's line up the 14 engines on the ground by themselves. I'm not talking what is standard and what is not, I'm not talking refinement or anything else. Just answer the following question: Which one has the most hp and the largest displacement?

Your next post should contain only two words:

<insert model name here>

hint: it should say "Grand Vitara"
--Mark

ifcar

The Grand Vitara V6 has more hp and displacement than the 4-cylinder models that you listed.

What's your point? Does that make it a good engine?

ifcar

Based on...
performance...
How do you figure? Consumer Guide estimated a 0-60 in the 9s, many competing models beat that.  

mazda6er

QuoteThe Grand Vitara V6 has more hp and displacement than the 4-cylinder models that you listed.

What's your point? Does that make it a good engine?
Whether or not it was a good engine wasn't the question. You brought up a lack of power and a small displacement. I listed 13 models that it beats in those areas. It's okay to admit you weren't very right if (it's really about time you were even slightly incorrect once). I'm wrong all the time. Alright, enough arguing for one day. I should really be doing more homework.   :)
--Mark

ifcar

For almost any engine, especially a V6 or above, you can find lots of cars with less power. Doesn't mean it's a good engine though. Take this example:

The Dodge Stratus 2.7-liter V6 has 200 horsepower. That's more hp and displacement than any number of other midsize 4-cylinder sedans. Does that make it a good engine?