New bus for the 37 kids.

Started by saxonyron, March 27, 2011, 11:28:24 PM

saxonyron

Well, it has only been 18 months since we bought the 07 Suburban and it had 65k miles.  But it had enough gremlins and issues where wifey gave it a vote of "no confidence".  Nothing earth shattering, just annoying, but you know how it goes when the women-folk get uppity.  You just give in. And I was actually waiting for the other shoe to drop to, so I went willingly.  We've had great luck in the past 20 years buying 2-3 yr old cars with 100k mi. warranties, but this one was thet first to disappoint.  The Yukon is GMC CPO with only 17,000 miles.  It looks new in and out, and drives new.  Sticker was about $53k, but we got it for a shade under $40k.  I feel it was a pretty good deal, especially after checking out dozens of comps and a few dealers.  The deal is very much like my A6, which I bought CPO  with 4,000 miles.  Stickered at $53k, bought for $40k.    What a deal that was!  But even with this "almost as good deal", I'm feeling no buyer's remorse at all. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

CALL_911

Congrats, that thing's freaking massive.

Now how about you stop getting your wife barges and get yourself a damn S4? :devil:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

saxonyron

The engine was amazingly clean.  Even the exhaust manifold heat shields were shiny.  That sold me!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 27, 2011, 11:31:12 PM
Congrats, that thing's freaking massive.

Now how about you stop getting your wife barges and get yourself a damn S4? :devil:

:lol:  All in good time!  My A6 has 90k miles, so I've got a ways to go. But I could convince myself to snag a CPO S5 or S6. I'm leaning S5 for the manny tranny.  My left foot is so freaking bored.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: Rupert on March 27, 2011, 11:31:45 PM
Those lights are HUGE!

i agree.  I prefered the Suburban's look, with the hood coming down linearly over smaller headlights.  These GMC lights look like they belong on a runway.  But the overall look is about as sexy as you can get with a moose of an SUV. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Finally hit 7,000 posts!  Took me long enough!  :cheers: 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: saxonyron on March 27, 2011, 11:35:10 PM
:lol:  All in good time!  My A6 has 90k miles, so I've got a ways to go. But I could convince myself to snag a CPO S5 or S6. I'm leaning S5 for the manny tranny.  My left foot is so freaking board.

You could always practice left foot braking. You'll needs it if you ever need to turn that bus around real quick.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

saxonyron

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 27, 2011, 11:39:43 PM
You could always practice left foot braking. You'll needs it if you ever need to turn that bus around real quick.

:ohyeah:  Hell, it's a start!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Will you put on a skirt to drive this car, the way you did with the Suburban and Expedition? :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Did you trade in the Suburban or sell it privately? What did you get for it?

cawimmer430

Man, I would hate to pay your fuel bills.  :devil:

Filling up a BMW 118i with its puny, pathetic 50 liter fuel tank already costs me 75 Euros.  :heated:

Congrats on the gas guzzler!  :thumbsup:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Mustangfan2003

Nice ride, if you reproduce any more you will need a school bus  :lol:

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

saxonyron

Quote from: ifcar on March 28, 2011, 07:18:51 AM
Did you trade in the Suburban or sell it privately? What did you get for it?

Any trade in amount has to be weighed as a part of the overall deal, but we traded it in and got around $22,000. Clean Kelly BB would have been $23k. There were a few open items like a CEL, airbag light and 2 broken backup sensors (1 attributed to eldest daughter, 1 attributed to ignorant valet parker) that dragged it down by a grand or so, but overall I was happy with the deal.  There were no major issues with the Suburban, just enough annoying ones where wifey wanted "out".

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on March 28, 2011, 05:49:45 AM
Will you put on a skirt to drive this car, the way you did with the Suburban and Expedition? :evildude:

:evildude: :evildude: 

Maybe I'll bring this one to the NYIAS GTG - that is, if it'll fit in your driveway.  Then you'll see how girly I drive it when we do our CarSpin Pinks "Run What You Brung" races down your street!  :mask:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 28, 2011, 08:52:53 AM
Man, I would hate to pay your fuel bills.  :devil:

Filling up a BMW 118i with its puny, pathetic 50 liter fuel tank already costs me 75 Euros.  :heated:

Congrats on the gas guzzler!  :thumbsup:

This one is a solid $80 fillup.  At least it's cheaper than driving 2 cars everywhere.  I guess the 15 mpg at $40k could be equalled as two $20k cars that get 30 mpg, but what would I use to haul my trailers?  :huh:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

RomanChariot

That's a nice Yukon.  I really like the newer Yukons and Suburbans.  I might consider ditching the current Suburban and our minivan in a couple of years and consolidating down to one large vehicle.  We only use our Suburban for towing as the minivan gets much better mileage and my wife isn't crazy about maneuvering the Suburban.

What is the heaviest trailer setup that you tow?  I will be interested to hear how the 5.3 does in towing duty.  Our 454 pulls well but Saudi Arabia throws a party every time I fire it up and I can only dream of $80 fillups with the 44 gallon tank.  The pain at the pump will be worth it next month when we tow the camper to Snow Canyon for spring break and spend several sunny days camping with all the amenities of home.

IrishGuy

I have always had a soft spot for the Yukons. Nice color too! So, what bells and whistles does it have?
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

68_427

The only think it's missing is a procharger or rear mount turbo.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 28, 2011, 02:10:15 PM
That's a nice Yukon.  I really like the newer Yukons and Suburbans.  I might consider ditching the current Suburban and our minivan in a couple of years and consolidating down to one large vehicle.  We only use our Suburban for towing as the minivan gets much better mileage and my wife isn't crazy about maneuvering the Suburban.

What is the heaviest trailer setup that you tow?  I will be interested to hear how the 5.3 does in towing duty.  Our 454 pulls well but Saudi Arabia throws a party every time I fire it up and I can only dream of $80 fillups with the 44 gallon tank.  The pain at the pump will be worth it next month when we tow the camper to Snow Canyon for spring break and spend several sunny days camping with all the amenities of home.

Thanks.  It's rated at 8,000 capacity.  The heaviest load I pull is the horse trailer, loaded up with 2 horses comes in around 5,000# or so. With my old Suburban, same set up, it pulled very happily.  Much better than the '06 Expedition with the 5.4L.  The long wheel base and serious 348 ft. lb. of torque makes for smooth trailering. If you're pulling not a whole lot more than 6,000#, I'd say this is all the balls you need.  I'm sure it can handle more than that, but it would be more pedal mashing and tail wagging.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

68_427

If you need more than that you can look for a Suburban/Yukon HD with Vortec 8.1.
'racecar is die'
no

saxonyron

Quote from: IrishGuy on March 28, 2011, 04:33:46 PM
I have always had a soft spot for the Yukons. Nice color too! So, what bells and whistles does it have?

Thanks - I like the color too, but 2 gray cars might make us a dull family...

The SLT2 package was included, and that has all the nice stuff that I wanted - leather, heated front and rear seats, memory seats and mirrors, backup camera, power liftgate, Bose stereo and towing package.  My Suburban had the navi and the touch screen stereo, DVD player, but I was happy to skip that.  I would have liked the DVD only, but they all came with the navi which was a bunch more dough for an annoying bright big blue screen that blinded me at night.  The dimmer control didn't have much range and it really pissed me off.  I'm a sensitive guy and I have sensitive eyes.  :mask:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2011, 05:36:02 PM
If you need more than that you can look for a Suburban/Yukon HD with Vortec 8.1.

:confused:  I thought it maxed out at the 6.2L 405 HP monster.  8.1??? 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

68_427

Quote from: saxonyron on March 28, 2011, 05:40:26 PM
:confused:  I thought it maxed out at the 6.2L 405 HP monster.  8.1???  

I think the last year for the 8.1 was like 2007 or '08.  But yeah that was the big dog gas engine.  Also what kids get the non heated third row?  :lol:  Your least favorites?
'racecar is die'
no

IrishGuy

Quote from: saxonyron on March 28, 2011, 05:37:35 PM
Thanks - I like the color too, but 2 gray cars might make us a dull family...

The SLT2 package was included, and that has all the nice stuff that I wanted - leather, heated front and rear seats, memory seats and mirrors, backup camera, power liftgate, Bose stereo and towing package.  My Suburban had the navi and the touch screen stereo, DVD player, but I was happy to skip that.  I would have liked the DVD only, but they all came with the navi which was a bunch more dough for an annoying bright big blue screen that blinded me at night.  The dimmer control didn't have much range and it really pissed me off.  I'm a sensitive guy and I have sensitive eyes.  :mask:

Ah, so it has just the basic amenities  :ohyeah:
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

saxonyron

Quote from: 68_427 on March 28, 2011, 05:41:34 PM
I think the last year for the 8.1 was like 2007 or '08.  But yeah that was the big dog gas engine.  Also what kids get the non heated third row?  :lol:  Your least favorites?

:lol:  Whoever ticked me off the most.  Or the 9 yr old twins.  They have the shortest legs and are the most rugged.  (Although the 3rd row is pretty roomy.)

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: IrishGuy on March 28, 2011, 05:45:42 PM

Ah, so it has just the basic amenities  :ohyeah:

Yup.  But I'm such an old fart, I still consider electric windows to be luxury.  From my perspective, this beast is decadent!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

68_427

Also how do you break a rear parking sensor?
'racecar is die'
no