The top 10 weirdest traffic laws

Started by SVT_Power, March 29, 2011, 10:20:08 AM

SVT_Power

Driving through New Brunswick? Better stay off the roads ? it?s apparently against the law to drive on them.

Wait, what?

Obscure and silly road laws are nothing new. In fact, there are plenty of weird statutes around the world that continue to leave many motorists scratching their heads, even if these laws are seldom enforced or obeyed.

Below are 10 places with some of the weirdest traffic laws:

10. Montreal: If you live in Montreal, you?d better be careful about where you leave your car when you get home. It?s against the law to park your car in such a way that it is blocking your own driveway. And forget about washing your car while it?s parked on the street, that?s against the law, too. If you?re an Ontarian passing through Montreal, make sure to remember that turning right on a red light is not allowed in the city ? something that is largely legal in the rest of the country. Doing so will fetch you a traffic ticket.

9. Denmark: Checking all areas of your car before hitting the road is a good rule of thumb. But in Denmark, it?s the law. Motorists are required to check all lights, brakes, steering, and honk the horn every time they get in the car. Drivers are also required by law to check underneath the car to ensure there are no sleeping children.

8. Beijing: We know smog is a problem in many parts of China, but this seems like an overkill attempt to curb idling. In Beijing, drivers are liable to receive a fine of up to five yuan (or less than a Canadian dollar) and a warning for stopping at pedestrian crossings.

7. Ontario: In Ontario, there are a few statutes that, somehow, have stood the test of time. These outdated laws might not be so relevant today, but they?re still on the books. For example, if you ever find yourself riding an open-sleigh on the highway for some inexplicable reason (hey, maybe it?s Christmas), make sure you have the right number of bells attached. Having less than two could earn you a $5 fine. And if you?re a TTC rider in Toronto, remember that it?s illegal to ride a streetcar on Sunday if you?ve been eating garlic. Weird.

6. New Jersey: Motorists used to handling the pumps at gas stations could be in for a shock when pulling in for a top-up at any station in New Jersey. That?s because it?s illegal for drivers there to pump their own gas. Only gas station employees can pump gas in the Garden State ? what?s known as ?full-service?. The controversial law was passed in 1949 after lawmakers felt it was too dangerous to have untrained drivers pumping their own fuel.

5. Detroit: Motor City may be known for its love of cars, but over there, it?s strictly a no-no to make love in one. Couples are banned from having sex in a vehicle unless the act takes place while the car is parked on the couple?s own property.

4. Kansas: Be careful about burning rubber when passing through Kansas. Screeching your tires is illegal in the state, and squealing upon acceleration can warrant a $500 fine and/or imprisonment up to 30 days. Apparently, in Kansas, screeching your tires can be interpreted as ?simulating a race.?

3. Maryland: Watch your mouth while driving in Rockville, Maryland. It?s illegal to curse in public, and this includes inside your car. So if you mouth off in a fit of rage while stuck in traffic, and the motorist next to you complains (or is a cop), you could be fined up to $100 or receive jail time of up to 90 days.

2. Saudi Arabia: It?s fairly well-known that in Saudi Arabia, women are barred from driving cars. But many don?t know that there are two highways running through the holy city of Mecca: one for Muslims, and another for non-Muslims. If a Muslim is accompanied by a non-Muslim, both are required to use the alternate highway. Violators caught driving on the wrong highway could face fines.

1. Minnesota: Remember the ?Keep it beautiful? adage that used to adorn Ontario licence plates? Well, in Minnetonka, Minnesota, it?s the law to keep your car clean. It?s considered a public nuisance for ?a truck or other vehicle whose wheels or tires deposit mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or other material on any street or highway.? Failure to keep your wheels spic and span here could cost you up to $2,000.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

RomanChariot

Oregon still has full-service only.  Only an attendant is allowed to pump your gas for you.  It provides jobs for a lot of high school students and people who struggle to find more meaningful work.

Detroit's law against making love in a car is redundant since I would bet that all states have ordinances banning sex in public which would include sex in cars.

93JC

Quote from: SVT_Power on March 29, 2011, 10:20:08 AM
10. Montreal: ... And forget about washing your car while it?s parked on the street, that?s against the law, too.

Also against the law here. We have separate storm and sanitary sewers. Water from the streets goes into the river untreated.

Secret Chimp

A lot of our storm drains go directly to rivers (stencils of salmon saying as much were painted next to a few in my old neighborhood) but as far as I know there isn't a law against it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

bing_oh

These aren't particularly weird laws. It's not at all uncommon to have local ordinances against peeling/squeeling tires, every municipality I've worked for has had an ordinance against parking blocking a driveway (I've never seen one with a provision that says that the property owner is exempt, though we'd never cite or tow if a person was blocking their own driveway), and a law against depositing heavy mud and such on the roadway is pretty much common sense for safety reasons (I doubt the law is written so as to make it illegal to put dust or throw a pebble on the road).

Byteme

Quote from: bing_oh on March 29, 2011, 03:14:12 PM
These aren't particularly weird laws. It's not at all uncommon to have local ordinances against peeling/squeeling tires, every municipality I've worked for has had an ordinance against parking blocking a driveway (I've never seen one with a provision that says that the property owner is exempt, though we'd never cite or tow if a person was blocking their own driveway), and a law against depositing heavy mud and such on the roadway is pretty much common sense for safety reasons (I doubt the law is written so as to make it illegal to put dust or throw a pebble on the road).

Bak in the late 70s to early 80's Austin, Texas was booming,  very rapid growth, which meant a huge number of dump trucks on the road carrying dirt to and from construction sites and gravel to concrete batch plants.  Many area municipalities passed and stringently enforced laws that fined drivers of dump trucks that were spilling any amount of their load onto the roadway and they could even be stopped and cited if some of their load was accidently deposited on the horizontal surfaces of the dump bed (common when loading a truck with a backhoe or steam shovel).

At many construction sites I've seen crews regularly cleaning the road when trucks leaving the site are leaving dirt, and gravel on the roadway.

Onslaught

Quote from: EtypeJohn on March 31, 2011, 07:59:46 AM
Bak in the late 70s to early 80's Austin, Texas was booming,  very rapid growth, which meant a huge number of dump trucks on the road carrying dirt to and from construction sites and gravel to concrete batch plants.  Many area municipalities passed and stringently enforced laws that fined drivers of dump trucks that were spilling any amount of their load onto the roadway and they could even be stopped and cited if some of their load was accidently deposited on the horizontal surfaces of the dump bed (common when loading a truck with a backhoe or steam shovel).

At many construction sites I've seen crews regularly cleaning the road when trucks leaving the site are leaving dirt, and gravel on the roadway.
Good. They have fines for this shit in NC too but never enforce it. Fucking dump trucks on the interstate I have to travel to work have done more damage to my MX-5 in two years then the 19 before that.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Onslaught on March 31, 2011, 07:43:12 PM
Good. They have fines for this shit in NC too but never enforce it. Fucking dump trucks on the interstate I have to travel to work have done more damage to my MX-5 in two years then the 19 before that.
Nothing like driving down the highway and hearing rocks and dirt clanging and bouncing off the underside of your car....
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hounddog

Not even close to weirdest laws.

The Michigan law which requires you to fire your shotgun into the air as you approach an intersection is the weirdest, followed closely by the law that requires unmarried women driving a carriage after dark to travel with a male relative in front of her with a lantern ahead and a male relative behind with a lanter to the rear.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Onslaught

Quote from: hounddog on April 01, 2011, 05:17:57 PM
Not even close to weirdest laws.

The Michigan law which requires you to fire your shotgun into the air as you approach an intersection is the weirdest,
That is strange. It being a shit hole like Michigan why would you waste ammo shooting in the air? You need it to kill all the bad guys trying o kill you or take your car.

hounddog

Shit hole?

:rolleyes:

I would call you a bad name, but this is the Sabbath and all. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Mustangfan2003

I think we have a law here that says elephants can't be out on city streets on Sundays. 

Northlands

Here's a couple of weird ones:

It's illegal to drag dead horses down the streets of Toronto before 12:00 am.
It is illegal for children to eat ice-cream cones on the streets on the Sabbath in Ottawa.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

JWC

Morehead City NC used to have a law, that required anyone leaving or entering to close and secure the gate/s to the town.  The fine was a 1.00.  (In the late 1800's until sometime in the 1900's, livestock could roam free in the city.  The gates were to keep resident's farm animals from getting out of town.)

When I lived in California, a friend of mine was given a ticket for a dirty windshield.  

My first ex and I were pulled over for a improperly secured car door in Burlingame Ca.

hounddog

Quote from: 93JC on March 29, 2011, 01:49:31 PM
Also against the law here. We have separate storm and sanitary sewers. Water from the streets goes into the river untreated.
That is actually a good thing, except that there are now boat washes which are environmentally friendly and will not harm the water or waterlife. 

They would work just fine and cost pretty much the same as regular soap, and would make the law unnecessary.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Galaxy

Quote from: hounddog on June 13, 2011, 10:36:15 AM
That is actually a good thing, except that there are now boat washes which are environmentally friendly and will not harm the water or waterlife. 

They would work just fine and cost pretty much the same as regular soap, and would make the law unnecessary.

Enviromentally friendly detergents are relative. They are bio-degradable, however if enough are dumped into the water constantly then you might always have an unsafe concentration.

The Phantom

Quote from: JWC on June 13, 2011, 06:56:23 AM
Morehead City NC used to have a law, that required anyone leaving or entering to close and secure the gate/s to the town.  The fine was a 1.00.  (In the late 1800's until sometime in the 1900's, livestock could roam free in the city.  The gates were to keep resident's farm animals from getting out of town.)

When I lived in California, a friend of mine was given a ticket for a dirty windshield.   

My first ex and I were pulled over for a improperly secured car door in Burlingame Ca.

I've been to Morehead City, but that was a good hundred years after that time.  I don't remember there being gates to the city.  :lol:
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

SVT666

Quote from: hounddog on June 13, 2011, 10:36:15 AM

It's illegal to wash cars in your driveway here too...unless you use biodegradable soap.  So I did that a couple weeks ago and got a lot of dirty looks from passersby. :lol:

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on June 28, 2011, 02:46:04 PM
It's illegal to wash cars in your driveway here too...unless you use biodegradable soap.  So I did that a couple weeks ago and got a lot of dirty looks from passersby. :lol:
Good for you!

That is one of the things I will enjoy most about the new truck; the big FU to the tree-huggers.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Galaxy on June 23, 2011, 03:22:28 PM

Enviromentally friendly detergents are relative. They are bio-degradable, however if enough are dumped into the water constantly then you might always have an unsafe concentration.
If you dump enough milk into a water source you will have milk.  :huh:

Of course it is relative.  

I seriously would question that there would be enough people in Germany washing their cars consistently enough to cause any harm, let alone real harm, to the countries water.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Germany has some pretty fucked up rivers, IIRC. More shit isn't gonna help make things better.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on June 29, 2011, 08:44:10 PM
Germany has some pretty fucked up rivers, IIRC. More shit isn't gonna help make things better.

But will it make it much worse? :huh:

I mean, it's SOAP! Soap cleans things! So dump a bunch of soap into the river and it should clean it up, right? Or at least it could be turned into a public bath.  :lol:

Rupert

Laconian

Runoff is a big problem here, esp. because of salmon spawning and all that.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert