2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

Started by Shane, September 20, 2005, 01:14:36 PM

Raza

QuoteAm I the only one that likes this? It looks a bit too similar to the Uplander in some spots, but other than that, very nice.
I was noncommital towards it.  

B)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteAlso, what's with this:

Every other full-size SUV's seat can fold flat. Let's hope that they at least made the seat passably roomy this time through, but it's still on the floor and looks quite small.
I believe it's because the GM full size SUVs have a solid rear axle.  The Ford full size SUVs have IRS.
Does every other full-size SUV have IRS?  <_<
Does every other full size SUV have a rear seat that folds flat?   :P
Aside from possibly the Sequoia, yes.
The Sequoia has "Leather-trimmed 50/50 split third-row bench seat with recline/slide/fold-down/tumble/remove functions and adjustable headrests". Maybe that means fold flat, maybe it doesn't. It'd be easier if I spoke Toyota, I guess.  :blink:
If the seats are removable, they're not the fold-flat type. I would be surprised not to see a fold flat seat on the next Sequoia though.  

VetteZ06

Quotei think that GM has flunked this one. :(
Yeah, right.  :rolleyes:  

thewizard16

Quotei think that GM has flunked this one. :(
Yeah, right.  :rolleyes:
Agreed. I'm not a GM fan, per se, I've had years of annoyances with them, particularly their full size SUVs, but the current ones aren't bad vehicles, and this looks to be better in every visually measurable way. Since the last ones were successful in a market that was very competitive, I'm sure these new ones will do fine as well.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Catman

The Sequioa is not fold flat.  To be so Toyota would either need to make the seat extremely thin or go to an IRS.  I hope the next Sequoia doesn't go to IRS.  I prefer the live axle.

I like the new Tahoe but it seems like the designers started and ended with an edgy design but somewhere in the middle Mr. Organic took over.  I'm not sure what all the curves are about but I think it would have looked even better had they kept the edges straighter.

Colonel Cadillac

The Ford Expedition was, to what I read in magazines, not first hand experience, not as well riding as the Tahoe and pals. The Tahoe has the live axel and the Ford an IRS.

Catman

The front bumper is too low.  Way too low.  I hope the balck piece comes off easily if you need to go off road. :rolleyes:

The Sequoia's front bumper isn't much lower than the front axles.

J86

did they get rid of the Information center?  I hate that fucking thing it is sooooo beight and annoying at night I put a piece of electrical tape over it to stop bothering me when I have 'Low Fuel."

Catman

QuoteThe Ford Expedition was, to what I read in magazines, not first hand experience, not as well riding as the Tahoe and pals. The Tahoe has the live axel and the Ford an IRS.
This is true.  For what ever reason the Expedition doesn't take advantage of its IRS.  It rides hard.

ifcar

QuoteThe Ford Expedition was, to what I read in magazines, not first hand experience, not as well riding as the Tahoe and pals. The Tahoe has the live axel and the Ford an IRS.
This is true.  For what ever reason the Expedition doesn't take advantage of its IRS.  It rides hard.
They went for a very stable, yet very firm suspension. Good for handling, less so for ride comfort.

Catman

They went for a very stable, yet very firm suspension. Good for handling, less so for ride comfort.
Plus it has a pretty high tow rating so heavy springs might be needed for towing. The Sequoias springs are soft so it rides pretty nice for a live axle truck but it has a relative low tow rating.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI'm not a big fan of SUV's, but this seems nicer than most of the ones i can think of (Expedition, Durango, Armada, Passport).
:blink:
Jeez ifcar, check the date of the post.  :P

The Passport never was a large SUV, even before it went out of production. You'll need to fabricate more than the date.  ;)
Sorry guess I have the name wrong. Its not a large SUV, but I was thinking of the Honda "Mid-size" SUV that costs about the same as a Tahoe.

VetteZ06

Mtl, I believe you're thinking of the Pilot.  :praise:

Some people will say they don't like them because they're anti-SUV, and some people will say they don't like them because they're from GM, but the GMT-900s appear completely ready to take on their toughest competition, and that's what counts the most. GM clearly put an immense amount of effort into this program, and it definitely shows now that we've seen all of the preliminary information. I love the fact that they've now got fully-boxed frames, and the sheer number of options and additional features is absolutely astounding. GM pulled out all the stops here, even when it has its back against the wall, and I think coming through when times are pretty rough is commendable, to say the least. I have never seen such a tremendously successful result from a new GM car or truck program, period. There has been a lot of hype surrounding the GMT-900s, and for once GM managed to live up to and, in my opinion, surpass that hype. It's just an overwhelmingly encouraging development, as it reasserts my belief that the folks at GM can right the boat before it hits the iceberg. The pros far outweigh the cons (and I think that's an understatement), and that is always a good beginning for a successful model line.

The Tahoe's interior looks great, so I can only imagine what the Escalade holds in store for the automotive public. If it's as good as Cadillac is leading everyone to believe, the new Escalade will be a home run.  B)

Sorry for the long post, guys, but I'm quite pleased with what I've seen. I thought GM was going to upgrade them sufficiently enough, but this goes way beyond any of my expectations.

SJ_GTI

QuoteMtl, I believe you're thinking of the Pilot.  :praise:
Oh yeah, that's the one.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post. I am not an SUV type person, but this is one of the nicest interiors from my POV in its class.

The Hummer H3 is another really good effort from GM in this class. Its weird though that this Tahoe may actually get better mileage than the H3.  :blink:  

Raza

The H3 is a good effort?  If it didn't have the Hummer name attached to it, it would ook like another poorly styled mid sized SUV that does nothing markedly better than other SUVs in the 30K price range.  It's goofy looking, upright, slab sided, comes with an I5, it's just all kinds of bad at the same time.    

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe H3 is a good effort?  If it didn't have the Hummer name attached to it, it would ook like another poorly styled mid sized SUV that does nothing markedly better than other SUVs in the 30K price range.  It's goofy looking, upright, slab sided, comes with an I5, it's just all kinds of bad at the same time.
I was talking about the interior. The H3's is one of the best in its class (for my taste anyway).

Besides that, its an SUV designed to work well offroad and that's what it does very well.

And the I5 is a really nice engine.

cozmik

QuoteThe H3 is a good effort?? If it didn't have the Hummer name attached to it, it would ook like another poorly styled mid sized SUV that does nothing markedly better than other SUVs in the 30K price range.? It's goofy looking, upright, slab sided, comes with an I5, it's just all kinds of bad at the same time.
I was talking about the interior. The H3's is one of the best in its class (for my taste anyway).

Besides that, its an SUV designed to work well offroad and that's what it does very well.

That I5 is a lot less nice when it's got to haul around like 5000 lbs worth of H3. It's got to make 2 trips to haul ass.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe H3 is a good effort?? If it didn't have the Hummer name attached to it, it would ook like another poorly styled mid sized SUV that does nothing markedly better than other SUVs in the 30K price range.? It's goofy looking, upright, slab sided, comes with an I5, it's just all kinds of bad at the same time.

That I5 is a lot less nice when it's got to haul around like 5000 lbs worth of H3. It's got to make 2 trips to haul ass.
Its faster than the H2 or H1.

Hummers have never been about speed. Its like saying the 3-series is a bad car because it doesn't have enough rear seat legroom, or the Bugatti Veyron is a bad car because it doesn't get good gas mileage.

I am not a fan of SUV's, I never plan on owning one. But you guys trying to judge the H3 as a car are just being rediculous. Its one of, if not the, best off-roading SUV's period, and at the same times offers ride quality and interior appointments on par with most luxury makes. Its a great SUV for its price and that's why it has been a hit for GM so far this year.

SJ_GTI

Oh but wait its a Hummer, and therefore sucks automatically. My bad.

ifcar

On par with luxury makes? Not a chance. In the mid-$30Ks, it certainly isn't among the best interior around. It's functional and of decent quality, but it seems more like what the Colorado's should have been than the $30K SUV.

SJ_GTI

QuoteOn par with luxury makes? Not a chance. In the mid-$30Ks, it certainly isn't among the best interior around. It's functional and of decent quality, but it seems more like what the Colorado's should have been than the $30K SUV.
Sure.

280Z Turbo

I wish they would have kept the 4.3 pushrod Vortec. Just another example of DOHC sucking. (j/k)

TBR

The interior looks great and the exterior looks fine. But, Dodge managed to package a fold flat 3rd row (of similar size or larger size) with a solid axle 7 years ago, why can't GM do it now with a considerably larger vehicle? (or Toyota for that matter!)

I think a solid axle is the way to go, but only if it can be done without sacrificing that fold flat 3rd row, a very important feature for many suv buyers.

VetteZ06

The fold-flat third row is the biggest omission on GM's part, and while I'm a bit disappointed, I know it probably won't matter much in the long run.

It's the only problem (albeit a very minor one) that I can complain about as of this moment. I'd say that's a mission accomplished, GM.  :praise:  

ifcar

What about third row space/comfort? You don't consider that important?

I've always looked at the two things as the defining difference between a midsize and full-size SUV: Interior space and towing capacity. Unless I'm missing something, nothing else would necessitate stepping up from a midsize to a full-size.

The Tahoe is below some midsize SUVs in the first area. That leaves it with 50% of what it needs, which is a failing grade.  

Run Away

Damn people are lazy nowadays.

I can take out all the seats in our Sienna (bench seat too, not buckets) by myself.

ifcar

I can do the same with the Caravan, but it's just much easier not to have to. You don't have to fight them out, and (more importantly IMO) you don't have to find a place to store them.

Raza

QuoteDamn people are lazy nowadays.

I can take out all the seats in our Sienna (bench seat too, not buckets) by myself.
Yeah, I can empty my aunt's Caravan in minutes.  But that leaves the issue of storage (for one, she doesn't have a garage) and flexibility.  What if you have to stop by the Home Depot or Lowe's (or whatever home improvement stores you have in Canada) after you drop off a full load of kids off to school or hockey practice or what not?  Do you just leave the seats in the parking lot and hope they'll be there when you return?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteWhat about third row space/comfort? You don't consider that important?

I've always looked at the two things as the defining difference between a midsize and full-size SUV: Interior space and towing capacity. Unless I'm missing something, nothing else would necessitate stepping up from a midsize to a full-size.

The Tahoe is below some midsize SUVs in the first area. That leaves it with 50% of what it needs, which is a failing grade.
I would also like to note that the 7700 lb towing capacity number I have seen is also below the competition (except for the Sequioa). Frankly, I am interested to find out what the mags reaction to the lack of a fold flat 3rd row is, I think it is a very important feature for most large suvs buyers (it was for us, the fold flat 3rd row was the reason we ended up with a Durango instead of an Expedition (the Suburban was just too big and at that point the Tahoe was 2 rows only)). I am afraid that such an important omission may actually hurt sales, unless they price it low which isn't what GM needs right now (and the rest of the product clearly deserves a high price).