New-New Beetle

Started by Galaxy, April 18, 2011, 07:05:22 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on April 19, 2011, 01:35:31 PM
German Engineering at it's best! H&H

Actually the heritage and cult following of the last "New Beetle" is a major reason of why it sold so well in Europe. The same goes for the MINI. Both these cars weren't exactly cheap in Europe.

History and Heritage & Cult Status means you can overprice cars and sell them and people will buy them.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 19, 2011, 03:06:52 PM
Actually the heritage and cult following of the last "New Beetle" is a major reason of why it sold so well in Europe.

Did it? If I recall correctly the New Beetle was essentially a flop in Europe.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on April 19, 2011, 03:15:48 PM
Did it? If I recall correctly the New Beetle was essentially a flop in Europe.

It was a "flop" overall, but early on its sales figures were high indicating that people wanted one. The current MINI is probably a much better example. Very expensive, yet it sells.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

Well the Mini is also a great car. The New Beetle, eh, not so much.

Onslaught

Actually the heritage and cult following of the last "New Beetle" is a major reason of why it sold so well in Europe. The same goes for the MINI. Both these cars weren't exactly cheap in Europe.

History and Heritage & Cult Status means you can overprice cars and sell them and people will buy them:praise:

Yes, dumb people.

But the Mini is a good car so it's not that big a deal for it.

sportyaccordy

History and Heritage & Cult Status means you can overprice cars and sell them and people will buy them.  :praise:

No offense but if this is really true (which I don't think it is) you Europeans are really dumb

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 19, 2011, 04:17:19 PM
No offense but if this is really true (which I don't think it is) you Europeans are really dumb
It's true everywhere.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 19, 2011, 12:12:47 PM
Link?

Wonder if the US will get the Beetle R, but not the Golf R

Beetle + Golf can't occupy the same space, somehow it makes sense to me to position the Beetle above the Golf

Or no? Am I nots?

We are getting the Golf R
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 19, 2011, 03:53:42 PM
Well the Mini is also a great car. The New Beetle, eh, not so much.

Have you driven the New Beetle? I'm not saying I'd DD one, but I would hardly call it a bad car just because it is almost 100% pure estrogen in the styling.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 19, 2011, 04:53:26 PM
Have you driven the New Beetle? I'm not saying I'd DD one, but I would hardly call it a bad car just because it is almost 100% pure estrogen in the styling.

Engine is in the wrong place. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on April 19, 2011, 04:53:26 PM

Didn't say it was a bad car, but it's not on the same level as the Mini.

68_427

Funny you mention the Mini, as that's the target price point for the VW.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: omicron on April 19, 2011, 10:41:24 PM
:confused:

Yeah that is the look I had when I tried to change one.  VW would've been better off putting that thing in the back.  I would never change another one again. 

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 19, 2011, 06:17:06 PM
Didn't say it was a bad car, but it's not on the same level as the Mini.

The MINI also came out in 2007 whereas the Beetle has been around since 1998. I think that makes a difference.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 19, 2011, 03:51:51 PM
It was a "flop" overall, but early on its sales figures were high indicating that people wanted one. The current MINI is probably a much better example. Very expensive, yet it sells.

What I meant is that, if memory serves, the majority of Beetles were sold in America. Part of the reason is probably that in the late 90s the Beetle was one of the few small cars sold in America that was not low rent.

That the Beetle did not sell well in later years is not really an issue. VW had at the time more important issues to spend R&D on. That Beetle sales would suffer was taken into consideration.

hotrodalex

Teuton, the Mini was introduced in 2000

Northlands

Listen closely. You can hear administrative assistants and hair dressers cheering across the country.  :devil:

It's not bad looking though.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 20, 2011, 07:21:59 AM
Teuton, the Mini was introduced in 2000

It also had a redesign in 2006-2007 IIRC. The Beetle has only had a minor facelift and an engine change.

Morris Minor

I never thought the 1998 New Beetle looked quite right. I think this is a much better execution of the retro Old Beetle idea
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși