One "do it all" car or several "different usage" cars (ownership preference)

Started by sportyaccordy, April 20, 2011, 01:39:56 PM

What's your preference for car ownership?

I prefer to just have one car that does it all
9 (37.5%)
I prefer to have different cars available for my moods/uses
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

sportyaccordy

I think a lot (probably too much) about the first car I'm gonna buy when I leave NYC. With gas being so freaking crazy, something like a G35 for a daily driver is completely out of the question. $60 a week on gas... ouch. So I am thinking of something practical, like an Accord or even a Civic, for DD duties. But I would still have the need for speed and wrenching, so I would also get an S2000 & probably turbocharge it.

I came to this conclusion because on another board some dude did a review of the new M3, and he only makes like $40K a year but is seriously considering somehow financing & daily driving it. Unless I was making serious bank, I just don't know that I could reconcile such an expensive DD... and while the M3 is awesome, it's always going to be a compromise that can be avoided by just getting two cheaper cars that serve its dual purposes more fully. Plus even if he could get its performance for cheap, daily running costs will just be a pain with gas headed upward.

Same with nearly anything where a special circumstance dictates need. If I were to commit to some snowbound place, I'd rather get something like a Cherokee for the winter and a more fun + economical spring car over a Subaru.

With cars being more reliable and offering a lot in the 5-15K range (for example I could def get an early 00s Civic & S2K for under 20K), this seems to be the more sensible approach to me for people with conflicting automotive needs.

What do you guys think?

NomisR

Well, not only the price of purchase but you also have to consider the price of insurance and registration .  The additional cost of additional insurance and registration and other maintenance items for another car, you can get one multipurpose car that guzzles gas and still not have it cost much more.

But of course, it really depends on the cost of the above and what cars you choose.  Speaking from experience, I went the 2nd route only becausee I replaced my gas guzzling fun/multipurpose car and replaced it with an single purple fun car and just so happened, got my old multipurpose car back with good mileage so it worked out for me.  But the additional cost of insurance for 2 cars would've made up for the additional gas cost. 

sportyaccordy

I think u are in Cali correct? Yea in NYC my insurance ranged from about $100-300; I am not sure how much it would be to add another car to an existing policy. But I know outside places like NYC & Cali insurance is dirt cheap and probably not really a big factor. Like say a G35 costs $150/mo to insure and $250/mo to fuel up. I'd rather insure a Civic + S2000 for $250 and maybe pay $175-200/mo in gas. A little more $$$, but I could reconcile the gas usage in the Civic and would really get to go all out and fully enjoy the S2K.

hotrodalex

Different cars, simply because I love cars and having multiple is always a plus. :lol:

Vinsanity

it does seem kinda fun to have 2 cars; it keeps things interesting at the very least. But for my personal needs, one nice car is definitely the way to go. My commute is short (at least the driving part), and the occasion is still rare where the Caddy is insufficient for hauling duties. Sometimes I do think about getting a supplemental car as opposed to a replacement one, though.

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 20, 2011, 01:51:21 PM
I think u are in Cali correct? Yea in NYC my insurance ranged from about $100-300; I am not sure how much it would be to add another car to an existing policy. But I know outside places like NYC & Cali insurance is dirt cheap and probably not really a big factor. Like say a G35 costs $150/mo to insure and $250/mo to fuel up. I'd rather insure a Civic + S2000 for $250 and maybe pay $175-200/mo in gas. A little more $$$, but I could reconcile the gas usage in the Civic and would really get to go all out and fully enjoy the S2K.

Yeah, originally for me.. the insurance for the Rx8 was about $650 every half year.  When I got the Elise, the insurance is about $780 every 6 months and the RSX is $910 every 6 months. 

But then again, this is an extreme example since the Rx8 is considered a 4 door so insurance is cheaper and the RSX is a "high risk" car so insurance is more expensive.

But seeing that I was spending almost $2000 more per year, gas would easily be affordable even at 18mpg at $4.50/gallon.  But of course, my insurance is now less than half that so much better now. 

But I want to go really unthusiast by getting rid of the RSX for an even better mileage car like an Insight..  we'll see.

sportyaccordy

God damn so u were paying like $4K/yr in insurance? Couldn't u consolidate the RX-8 & RSX down to something practical (i.e. 1st gen TSX)? Seems like a lot of overlap.

MX793

I like having a winter car and a more fun, less practical summer car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 20, 2011, 02:51:24 PM
God damn so u were paying like $4K/yr in insurance? Couldn't u consolidate the RX-8 & RSX down to something practical (i.e. 1st gen TSX)? Seems like a lot of overlap.

I didn't have to pay for the RSX insurance when I had the Rx8.  I gave it to my mom to drive and she was paying for that insurance so it wasn't so bad.  I got the RSX back about 6 months after  I got my Elise because my mom moved back to Taiwan.  So that was when i had to take on both insurances. 

the Teuton

I'm going to keep PlastiCar, but I am planning on getting a convertible sports car on the cheap as soon as I can afford to do so.

Because no one drives an MSC in the snow.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on April 20, 2011, 03:30:11 PM
MSC?

Mystery Sports Car. I'm stealing a Raza term here. Just go with it.

Come on, how many sub-$5,000 sports cars are there on the market?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2011, 03:32:12 PM

A quick search on Autotrader, for $5000, you can get a 1994 Trans Am, a 1999 Plasticar, or a 1991 MR2.

So whatever happened to coming to So Cal?

SVT666

I would love to have different cars, but reality is that I have to have an all-rounder.  My wife has a 4x4 Explorer for familu duties, towing our tent trailer, utility trailer, and off roading.  My SVT Focus is the fun car.  Unfortunately, the Explorer sucks gas like there is no tomorrow and my wife put almost 30K miles on it last year.  My Focus only gets roughly 27 mph on the highway and it drinks premium.  I put 400 miles on it each work week.  Oh well, expensive gas is better than a car payment.

giant_mtb

That thing only goes 27mph on the highway?  Guess those SVT sport wagons aren't so sporty after all! :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on April 20, 2011, 03:54:23 PM
So whatever happened to coming to So Cal?

Things take longer than you'd want them to. Still might happen, still pushing for it, still have no idea if anything will materialize.

Regardless, I will be PlastiCelibate for at least a while longer.

dazzleman

If I drove more miles, I'd love to have 2 cars for different purposes.  But since I only drive, 8,000 miles per year total, more than one car makes no sense for me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

Multiple. But If I could only have one, it'd prolly be a S401/2 Legacy or RS4 or something.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Everything has its own purpose.  Nothing that does all does anything very well.  There are cars that are good compromises, but they are still compromises. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24719.msg1503474#msg1503474 date=1303346433
Everything has its own purpose.  Nothing that does all does anything very well.  There are cars that are good compromises, but they are still compromises. 

Exactly.  There are times I'd love a 2-seater convertible, and times I'd love an SUV or something like that to transport things.

But I can't justify keeping wasting assets around for such minimal use.  I'm not rich enough, and I don't want to work any longer than necessary, so it's more important to me to save money.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on April 20, 2011, 07:17:03 PM
Exactly.  There are times I'd love a 2-seater convertible, and times I'd love an SUV or something like that to transport things.

'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

280Z Turbo

A friend of mine got rid of his Acura for a Chevy 3500 dually crew cab diesel. He's using the truck as a daily driver.

He got it because he wants to tow his car a couple times a year in the summer. He's obviously loaded for a soon-to-be college graduate.

Talk about one hell of a compromise.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

The_Joker

My Miata is my do it all car. I have carried a 7 ft artificial christmas tree, a 20 gallon air compressor, 4 wheels and tires, and 3 seats in the passenger side.
94 M-Edition Miata

Rupert

The more cars the better.

However, saving on gas is almost never a good excuse to buy another car. Second car = $4000 + $600/yr insurance (at least), gas savings for a year for a 30 mile commute going from 15 mpg to 35 mpg at $4/gal= $1140.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on April 20, 2011, 03:32:12 PM

Many many many. My Miata, MGB, and the 944 were all sub-$5000. Also, old Fiats, MR2s, RX7s, Supras ('80s), 914s, 924s, 2002s, Midgets, Jenson-Healys, certain Triumphs, some Zs, GTIs, Mustangs, Camaros/Firebirds...

You guys and your I will have a sports car (someday, really, I swear I'm not just full of shit). Just buy one!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

The Pirate

Two cars is awesome.  Once I get the feeling that the Audi is up to some long distances, I'm tempted to ditch the Proteg? for something fun.  But yeah, it's never a cost saving measure.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.