One "do it all" car or several "different usage" cars (ownership preference)

Started by sportyaccordy, April 20, 2011, 01:39:56 PM

What's your preference for car ownership?

I prefer to just have one car that does it all
9 (37.5%)
I prefer to have different cars available for my moods/uses
15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on April 20, 2011, 11:36:36 PM
Me too.  Hey, I'm one of the few real enthusiasts here who put up and drives an actual enthusiast car :lol:

My enthusiast car stays in the driveway. :( Hopefully not for long, though. Possibly in 2 weeks it'll be drivable.

And to annoy Rupert, here's my future car plans: some sort of motorcycle when I'm in college (probably just get an old Ninja at first, then move up from there), along with my El Camino. After that, I'll add a 3rd vehicle; either a Datsun 510, E30 M3, or a 60's American sedan (lowered and with rims).

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 21, 2011, 06:24:53 AM
Oh and I agree that people can make do w/normal cars. My dad drives his M45 on shit low pro 18s day in and day out, rain, snow, sleet, shine. I will have to ask him if he's ever got stuck... I don't think he has though and we've had some monster blizzards. You throw a set of winter or snow tires on anything mainstream, the only thing that can stop you is if the snow is a foot tall on the road or its turned to ice. We make too many excuses

NYC doesn't get that much snow.  I think the average season's snowfall is barely 2 feet.  And what you guys call a "monster blizzard" we call "snow showers" in upstate.  We got more snowfall in the first half of December than NYC got all season (by a margin of nearly a foot).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 21, 2011, 06:21:41 AM
Yea but the way I see it, if I was gonna spend $15K on 1 "do it all car", I feel like I could get more bang for the buck getting 2 older cars that are less compromised. The savings are probably minimal because of insurance, but you get more bang for the buck. I.e., instead of an EVO, I'd get an old Eclipse GSX and like a Honda Fit or something. Same cost, "more" car, lower fuel/maintenance costs.

Wanting a fun car and a practical car is fine (see my garage), but don't try to make some excuse about saving money by buying more cars. If you are so concerned with saving money, buy one $7500 car instead of two.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on April 21, 2011, 08:43:13 AM
Can't tow with a midsize sedan.  Besides a Pontiac Tempest had 14" of ground clearance and a new Ford Fusion has 5". 

Most people don't need to tow, and I don't believe for a second that a Tempest had more clearance than my Explorer.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 21, 2011, 07:59:40 PM
Wanting a fun car and a practical car is fine (see my garage), but don't try to make some excuse about saving money by buying more cars. If you are so concerned with saving money, buy one $7500 car instead of two.

I agree.  Thinking you're going to save money by having 2 cars instead of 1 is a rationalization.  Might as well just be honest with yourself, and admit you're willing to spend extra money to have 2 distinct cars, rather than hide behind a false idea that a second car can actually save you money.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

The Pirate

Quote from: dazzleman on April 21, 2011, 08:57:03 PM
I agree.  Thinking you're going to save money by having 2 cars instead of 1 is a rationalization.  Might as well just be honest with yourself, and admit you're willing to spend extra money to have 2 distinct cars, rather than hide behind a false idea that a second car can actually save you money.

Bah, I actually expect to make money on the Audi when it finally pukes for good and I part it out.

But you're generally correct.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on April 21, 2011, 08:57:03 PM
I agree.  Thinking you're going to save money by having 2 cars instead of 1 is a rationalization.  Might as well just be honest with yourself, and admit you're willing to spend extra money to have 2 distinct cars, rather than hide behind a false idea that a second car can actually save you money.

Having two cars allows for zero down time and saves money if you do all of your own work. That is my rationalization.

The Pirate

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2011, 09:03:51 PM
Having two cars allows for zero down time and saves money if you do all of your own work. That is my rationalization.

This too. 

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on April 21, 2011, 09:21:09 PM
My rationalization for having two cars is that I want two cars.

If I used that kind of rationalization, I'd have ten cars.

The Pirate

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2011, 09:21:40 PM

There is a 1991 Audi V8 quattro for sale locally.  I'm so tempted...

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2011, 09:21:40 PM

Well, I can't afford ten cars, or I would have ten cars. :lol:

Rupert

Eye of the Tiger

The Pirate

Eye of the Tiger

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on April 21, 2011, 09:25:04 PM
Well, I can't afford ten cars, or I would have ten cars. :lol:

Probably don't have enough space, either.

omicron

Quote from: mzziaz on April 21, 2011, 11:13:19 AM
the more the merrier, however the answer is a function of available cash and space.

I concur, wise European.

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Definitely another benefit.  My Mazda has a flat tire right now.  Instead of limping it on the mini-spare either to a place where I can work on it or to a tire shop, I can leave the car in my garage on jack-stands, toss the flat tire in the trunk of my other car, and take it wherever to get it fixed at my leisure.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Vinsanity

LOL. having one car with under 100k miles should give you (almost) zero down time :tounge:

The Pirate

Quote from: dazzleman on April 22, 2011, 06:39:51 AM
:lol:
3 cars?   :ohyeah:

Tis a pipe dream.  I have no need for 3 cars, nor can I justify the expense.  The only reason I bit on the 80 is that I basically was able to clean out a closet of [valuable] stuff that I'll never use.  Insurance cost is minimal, a tank of fuel lasts a month or more with how often I generally drive it, and it's handy to have a second car if one of them experiences downtime (as mentioned previously).

I'd love to own that car, but it'd require giving up one of my current cars, and that makes little sense.  I love the 80, and it's certainly going to be more reliable than the V8 quattro, because there's comparatively so little to go wrong. 

I keep forgetting to get a SUNY parking pass for it though.  Finally got a parking ticket with it two weeks ago. 

hounddog

You know, I believe the X5 fits the description of a nearly perfect vehicle.

Big enough to take the family, powerful and fast enough to be thrilling, just enough handling prowess to be enjoyable in twisties (with a tad bit of common sense thrown in), quiet and comfortable ride at highway speeds, decent fuel economy, plenty of options and luxury to suit everyone in the vehicle, pretty good looking and honestly a good price for an almost complete package.

Our next one will be a diesel, however.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 22, 2011, 05:07:43 AM
Probably don't have enough space, either.

One in the garage, three under the car port, two more in the driveway, four in front of the house on the street. Then again, if I could afford ten running cars, I could probably afford a place with even more room. :lol:

mzziaz

Quote from: omicron on April 22, 2011, 06:36:22 AM
I concur, wise European.

thank you my good sir!

Speaking of which: anyone should have a work truck to haul around crap.

Me driving around a large pine branch and some summer tires yesterday:

:ohyeah:
Cuore Sportivo

hotrodalex

:rockon:

Don't think I'll do much hauling with my El Camino, though. The tie down anchors look pretty flimsy and weak.