Sold the project cars and got something finished.

Started by ChrisV, April 28, 2011, 05:51:02 AM

L. ed foote

Quote from: ChrisV on April 28, 2011, 05:51:02 AM

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

As a guy who trawls craigslist, I know crappy cell phone pics when I see them. That wasn't a crappy cell phone pic.

Nice score. Surprised to hear that it feels more planted than the 7.
Member, Self Preservation Society

ChrisV

Quote from: L. ed foote on May 03, 2011, 06:51:47 AM
As a guy who trawls craigslist, I know crappy cell phone pics when I see them. That wasn't a crappy cell phone pic.

Well, it's not a D50. I just take the standard 3264x 1840 Droid X pic and resample it to 1000x564 (or the last ones got resampled to 800x451) and post it. But it's grainy and not as defined as a good camera and teh color isn't as good. But I guess for a cellphone camera, it's tits. ;)

QuoteNice score. Surprised to hear that it feels more planted than the 7.

Thanks. So am I. I knew the coupe was, as I'd driven them before, but I didn't think the convert would be as solid. Not like I cared going into it, as I wanted a convertible of some sort (first requirement), but it was nice to feel that solidity and stability. To be fair, the 7 has H&R springs in it, so it does tend to skitter a bit across bumps (it's not very pronounced, but *I* know it's there)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

hotrodalex

Must be the springs, since our 3er is more planted than a Mustang.

ChrisV

Hmm. The 3s that I've driven before this one weren't as planted in corners, either (they've all been 325i Sports, though. Almost got a convertible one before the Mustang came up in the search). As soon as tehy arent' soft, they tend to get skittery, too. But, I love the 3s, too.

This is the one I was looking at before the Mustang:

$16,995 with 64k miles.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on May 03, 2011, 06:27:23 AM
Averaging 22mpg mostly suburban commute and romping on it, which is decent enough.

wow, I only get like 18 mpg in the same type of driving. does it require premium?

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 03, 2011, 09:41:01 AM
wow, I only get like 18 mpg in the same type of driving. does it require premium?

Nope. Runs on regular.

GoCougs

Looks good. Congrats. With these cars coming down in price I couldn't imagine getting a classic muscle car...

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on May 03, 2011, 09:26:07 AM
Hmm. The 3s that I've driven before this one weren't as planted in corners, either (they've all been 325i Sports, though. Almost got a convertible one before the Mustang came up in the search). As soon as tehy arent' soft, they tend to get skittery, too. But, I love the 3s, too.

Strange. Ours doesn't have the sport package, so that must be the culprit. Seems kinda odd that it would make that big of a difference, though.

ChrisV

Spring rate makes a lot of difference. Stiffer springs and bigger swaybars make the car ride harsher over bumps, which can translate into that skittering sideways on rough surfaces.

RomanChariot

My 5 has the sports package and gets a little skittish on rough roads.  When I bought my 530i I drove it back-to-back with a 330i without the sports package and the 530i handled much better even though it was a larger vehicle.  The sports package makes a big difference but there are some trade-offs in smoothness.

hotrodalex

I'm just surprised that the stiffer springs would make it bumpier in corners than a Mustang. The Stangs that I've driven and ridden in haven't been the most composed cars in bumpy turns.

ChrisV

Like I said, I'm surprised too. Not that it'd be a deal breaker, but it's interesting to compare back to back on the same roads.

And man, it's nice to be back in a top down car. And teh grunt this has is enough that you can start in 2nd gear smoothly and easily, and still be damn near as quick as starting in first, while actually being smoother.

ChrisV

Damnit, it has begun... just did a 5 minute photoshop of the direction I want to go with the car...

I gotta walk away from the computer....

the Teuton

How'd you do that in five minutes? That's actually pretty good.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on May 04, 2011, 02:02:24 PM
Damnit, it has begun... just did a 5 minute photoshop of the direction I want to go with the car...

Heading to Home Depot for some painter's tape and flat black rustoleum? :evildude:

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on May 04, 2011, 02:11:38 PM
How'd you do that in five minutes? That's actually pretty good.

Thanks! You can tell if you look close, however....

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 04, 2011, 03:36:06 PM
Heading to Home Depot for some painter's tape and flat black rustoleum? :evildude:

Oh, no, I have actual black paint and flattening agent, and real 3M fine line masking tape for graphics work... But I'm not going to stripe it until I can get the hood scoop and wheels/tires...

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on May 04, 2011, 02:02:24 PM

Oh my. Do that now.

ChrisV

A month later and I'm still smiling every time I drive it. And there's only been one time in that whole time since I posted the pics that I've driven it with the top UP. Going to work, going home, going to the store, or to a restaurant, or jsut for fun... top is always down. If it's raining, I'm driving the BMW...

And I love how the traction control knows just how much fun to let you have before gently reeling you back in. ;) Fuel mileage has dropped a bit, but smileage has gone up. Prolly ought to not use the throttle so much, eh? Now if only my new job would allow me to be online a bit more...

sportyaccordy

Nice that you're enjoying it man. Do you miss the project car? Project cars are all romantic & make for great online food, but IRL there's a lot of value to a car that might not be as emotionally engaging to own, but starts up every day, has A/C, yadda yadda. Glad you like it man ;)

ChrisV

I'd miss the project car more if that damn MGB GT wasn't filling up my garage still...  :lol: I need to get more free time to finish that car off, but it's turned into a HUGE project, and it's owner has failed to show up to help. Ever.

But yeah, there' ssomething to be said for hopping in it, putting the top down and ust going.

Oh, and the guy that bought my Comet already got it running with the original engine. he's got a long road ahead of him, but it's back to driveable.

SVT666

That was the thing I loved about my last Stang and the reason I need to get back into a RWD V8 car.  Every time I stepped on the gas I would smile.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on June 07, 2011, 02:13:07 PM
That was the thing I loved about my last Stang and the reason I need to get back into a RWD V8 car.  Every time I stepped on the gas I would smile.
Yea but after the laughter comes tears....

...at the pump :cry:

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on June 07, 2011, 01:54:13 PM
A month later and I'm still smiling every time I drive it. And there's only been one time in that whole time since I posted the pics that I've driven it with the top UP. Going to work, going home, going to the store, or to a restaurant, or jsut for fun... top is always down. If it's raining, I'm driving the BMW...

haha, that's exactly how I was when I had a sedan + convertible both at my disposal. I'd be driving to work with the top down when it's 50 degrees outside; incidentally, that's what led me to discover this fashion accessory called the scarf.

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on June 07, 2011, 01:54:13 PM

I know that feeling.  I'm 10 months into the Miata and I feel exactly the same way when I drive it.   Down here, I'm helping to support the sunscreen industry.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 07, 2011, 02:00:46 PM
Nice that you're enjoying it man. Do you miss the project car? Project cars are all romantic & make for great online food, but IRL there's a lot of value to a car that might not be as emotionally engaging to own, but starts up every day, has A/C, yadda yadda. Glad you like it man ;)

I've spent untold hours mucking about with cars. Haven't done it in about ~10 years and I'll never do it again in any significant manor; I"m to the point now I don't even change my own oil and I use the automated car wash.

Nowadays there are many fantastic performing and decent used cars to satiate the enthusiast - from the WRX, to the Mustang, to the GTI, to all sorts of other options even no so obvious (Accord coupe V6, Altima SE-R, etc.).

SVT666

The only way I'm going to ever end up building a car myself is if I win the lottery and quit my job, or when I'm retired.  While I still have to work, I will never try building my own car again.  I did my best with my Mustang, but I still had to get someone to do the hard stuff (cams, valves, springs, and headers).  I did just about everything else myself, but I also didn't have kids yet and my wife (girlfriend and fiance at the time) was starting to get pissed off.  She even called my Mustang "the other woman" at one point...and she was not smiling when she said it.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on June 08, 2011, 12:11:21 PM
I did my best with my Mustang, but I still had to get someone to do the hard stuff (cams, valves, springs, and headers). 

:huh:

hounddog

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 08, 2011, 02:35:04 PM
On the '96 Mustang GT, pulling the heads off was required to get the headers in.  When they pulled the heads off to replace the cams, valves, and springs, I had them put the headers on.

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on June 08, 2011, 03:26:07 PM
On the '96 Mustang GT, pulling the heads off was required to get the headers in.  When they pulled the heads off to replace the cams, valves, and springs, I had them put the headers on.

My friend put headers on his '97 mustang GT without pulling the heads, hell he did it on a stone driveway (unpaved). It was a PITA but doable with simple tools. Even with the 4.6 4V (much larger heads, much less room) headers can be installed without taking off the heads (impossible in the car) or pulling the engine or dropping the K-member.