"Gear Down"
8 (47.1%)
"Control with Brake in Neutral"
4 (23.5%)
Other
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Northlands

I'll do a mild downshift. Add a bit of braking if necessary. You won't find me skipping from fifth to third right off the bat on a downhill situation.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on May 01, 2011, 11:12:23 AM
Which is pretty similar to engaging the e-brake and throwing it into reverse on most other cars. 

I don't get it
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

In my paddle-shifted automagic I downshift, because what's the harm of one extra manual shift when it's automatically shifting hundreds of times a day anyway?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

I manually down shift the Sonoma's column shift automagic just to hear the sweet gurgling sound of the exhausts.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on April 30, 2011, 09:30:49 PM
I was on a test drive in a Kia Rio the other day, (5MT) and the salesman encouraged me to change down and let the car engine brake down the hill. I thought that was odd, because the hill isn't super long, or super steep. Usually, I kick it in neutral and control with the brake, it gives me more coasting MPH, and IIRC doesn't the motor use less fuel because the motor is near idle?

What do you typically do when going downhill? Change down? Or do you control with the brake and use neutral?

Not talking mountain grades, but normal everyday driving.

He may be just a sales weasel, but he was indeed telling you how to properly drive a M/T-equipped vehicle.

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2011, 07:27:45 AM
But it's soooooo much more fun.

Try it in the Explorer and tell me that. :lol:

It's actually kind of a PITA in the 944, too, since the throttle response in that car is terrible. I have a cam thing that replaces the stock bit that is supposed to fix it, but I haven't stuck it on there yet.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on May 01, 2011, 12:13:11 PM
He may be just a sales weasel, but he was indeed telling you how to properly drive a M/T-equipped vehicle.

Something learned a long time ago: There is no "proper" way to drive a stick if you're not after pure performance.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Colonel Cadillac

This thread is making me angry. I think I encountered a hill on the way to Alabama a couple weeks ago.

The only real hills I ever encounter here are on-ramps and off-ramps, and coming off a highway I think I do put it in neutral from 5th or 6th usually and use the brakes before putting her in anywhere between 2nd and 4th gear for the next scenario.

I use engine braking most when I'm making 90 degree turns on city streets where I approach going 30-35 and pop it in 2nd or 3rd, engine brake to 20 while going through the turn and then accelerate out.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 01, 2011, 12:13:11 PM

That hill was short and I drive it nearly everyday on my way to work.

Usually I keep it in neutral and I gain so much momentum that I typically can coast for 1/2 mile without ever touching the gas.

Automatics almost never change down, so I can assume that most people on the road don't drive right?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2011, 05:35:28 PM

Usually I keep it in neutral and I gain so much momentum that I typically can coast for 1/2 mile without ever touching the gas.

Automatics almost never change down, so I can assume that most people on the road don't drive right?

Keep driving like that; it saves gas, and gas is hella spensive

68_427

AWD is pretty efficient at scrubbing speed.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on May 01, 2011, 02:27:16 PM
Something learned a long time ago: There is no "proper" way to drive a stick if you're not after pure performance.

Exactly. Between this thread and "What RPM do you shift at?" thread, people worry too much about how they're driving. I just drive. Upshift when I feel like it. Downshift when I feel like it. Pop it into neutral and brake when I feel like it. Heel-and-toe when I feel like it. As long as you're not doing something that actively creates unnecessary wear on your car (like slipping the clutch on downshifts instead of rev matching), it doesn't really matter that much.

Rupert

I don't rev match most downshifts.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on May 02, 2011, 01:25:34 AM
I don't rev match most downshifts.

And your Explorer has 140k miles on the original clutch? This surprises me a little.

Tave

That's what the clutch is there for.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

I avoid slipping the clutch as much as possible.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2011, 05:35:28 PM

There is the drag from the A/T pump plus the A/T will always be in gear, and yes it will down shift as it's a function of fluid pressure.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on May 02, 2011, 12:16:56 PM
There is the drag from the A/T pump plus the A/T will always be in gear, and yes it will down shift as it's a function of fluid pressure.

I don't think I've ever had an automatic downshift for me when I'm coasting downhill.

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 02, 2011, 01:22:11 AM
Exactly. Between this thread and "What RPM do you shift at?" thread, people worry too much about how they're driving. I just drive. Upshift when I feel like it. Downshift when I feel like it. Pop it into neutral and brake when I feel like it. Heel-and-toe when I feel like it. As long as you're not doing something that actively creates unnecessary wear on your car (like slipping the clutch on downshifts instead of rev matching), it doesn't really matter that much.
How often do you make use of the fan speed knob? A lot/a little/only when absolutely necessary

Secret Chimp

Someone change the title of this thread to "I had no idea I didn't know how to drive until I posted this"

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

NomisR

I keep the car in gar and maybe downshift because it's not a good idea to keep your car in neutral especially in case of emergency situations.  Plus, I hate people who ride their brakes down the hill.  Or people who ride their brakes, period..

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 02, 2011, 12:59:41 PM
Someone change the title of this thread to "I had no idea I didn't know how to drive until I posted this"

The long vertical one is the brake, right?

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on May 02, 2011, 01:18:50 PM
The long vertical one is the brake, right?

That's the LOW/HIGH shifter. Pull it back to make your car accelerate to HIGH speeds.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2011, 01:22:09 PM
That's the LOW/HIGH shifter. Pull it back to make your car accelerate to HIGH speeds.

OMG 18 Wheels of Steel and Daytona USA were my favorite games when I worked at Chuck E Cheese.

Raza

I shift down but don't clutch out until I'm ready to accelerate again. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on May 02, 2011, 06:50:16 PM
Why?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on May 02, 2011, 07:14:26 PM
Why?

Rolling clutch dump like a baoss at the base of a hill.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 02, 2011, 01:28:25 AM
And your Explorer has 140k miles on the original clutch? This surprises me a little.

... Most people don't even know what rev matching is, and most people don't have problems wearing out their clutches. The clutch isn't really as fragile as you (and a lot of others) think it is.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  on May 02, 2011, 06:50:16 PM

Yeah, me too, especially with turns in town. Who wants to clutch in-4th-3rd-clutch out-clutch in 3rd-2nd-clutch out when you could just clutch-4th-2nd-neutral-clutch out?