8 (47.1%)
"Control with Brake in Neutral"
4 (23.5%)
Other
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2011, 12:53:23 PM
How often do you make use of the fan speed knob? A lot/a little/only when absolutely necessary

As little as possible. If I must, then I only utilize the first two speeds, or the third speed if it is an emergency. I NEVER use the fourth speed. I don't want the fan to asplode.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

Random factoid - the base Ford Territory without climate control has 14 fan speeds.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on May 03, 2011, 01:39:38 AM
... Most people don't even know what rev matching is, and most people don't have problems wearing out their clutches. The clutch isn't really as fragile as you (and a lot of others) think it is.

It's not that I think my clutch is going to explode if I don't rev-match, but slipping causes wear. It's not inconceivable to think that your clutch will wear out faster if you don't rev match, and 140k is more than your average clutch lasts, though that obviously depends on a lot of factors.

GoCougs

Yeah, clutches in the average vehicle (i.e., non performance, non towing) should last a long time - pretty much as long as the engine - if driven properly.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on May 03, 2011, 01:42:27 AM
Yeah, me too, especially with turns in town. Who wants to clutch in-4th-3rd-clutch out-clutch in 3rd-2nd-clutch out when you could just clutch-4th-2nd-neutral-clutch out?

Yeah.  Generally, I know how fast I'm going in and have an idea of how fast I'll be going coming out.  Mainly, I stick it in second and give it a bootful when I'm clear.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 03, 2011, 05:34:03 AM
As little as possible. If I must, then I only utilize the first two speeds, or the third speed if it is an emergency. I NEVER use the fourth speed. I don't want the fan to asplode.

Sure, Teuton.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 03, 2011, 01:01:26 PM
It's not that I think my clutch is going to explode if I don't rev-match, but slipping causes wear. It's not inconceivable to think that your clutch will wear out faster if you don't rev match, and 140k is more than your average clutch lasts, though that obviously depends on a lot of factors.

Yeah, so? Like I said, wear parts are wear parts-- you don't want to wear them, don't drive the car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on May 03, 2011, 02:27:00 PM
Yeah, clutches in the average vehicle (i.e., non performance, non towing) should last a long time - pretty much as long as the engine - if driven properly.

Yup. "Properly" is a pretty broad term, too.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24783.msg1511056#msg1511056 date=1304459773
Yeah.  Generally, I know how fast I'm going in and have an idea of how fast I'll be going coming out.  Mainly, I stick it in second and give it a bootful when I'm clear.

You drive in boots?

:lol:

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on May 04, 2011, 12:54:24 AM
You drive in boots?

:lol:

Only high heeled boots.  And only when I'm not wearing my platform sneakers. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on May 01, 2011, 12:08:51 AM
If you rev match you won't wear the clutch anyway.  Always downshift.  Putting it in neutral gives you less control if you find yourself in a situation where you suddenly need throttle and you're not in gear.

:hesaid:

Tave

You can tell when a situation is developing in front of you that you may or may not need to be in gear, even if it's something as simple as approaching a blind corner. Cars, bicyclists, pedestrians, debris, etc...doesn't just fall out of the sky. There's nothing wrong with coasting in neutral when you can tell it won't be a problem.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on May 07, 2011, 07:41:10 AM
You can tell when a situation is developing in front of you that you may or may not need to be in gear, even if it's something as simple as approaching a blind corner. Cars, bicyclists, pedestrians, debris, etc...doesn't just fall out of the sky. There's nothing wrong with coasting in neutral when you can tell it won't be a problem.

And what happens if, in a panic, you try to put it in gear and you grab the wrong gear?  What happens if your syncros decide to take a vacation and it fails to go into gear?  Will you have the wherewithal in such a scenario to not panic and remember to double-clutch it into gear rather than choke and freeze up?

It is always safest, when moving, to have the car in an appropriate gear for the speed being traveled and to have the clutch engaged.  If you're coasting in neutral and suddenly stuff it in gear and dump the clutch (or just coasting with the car in gear but the clutch disengaged) without matching revs correctly, you can cause the car to lurch and the weight shift can cause you to lose control if it happens while you're trying to make an evasive maneuver.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on May 02, 2011, 06:50:16 PM
I shift down but don't clutch out until I'm ready to accelerate again. 

I think that I usually downshift to 3rd and clutch-out, but then when I downshift to 2nd, I don't clutch out if I don't need to.

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2011, 08:44:36 AM
And what happens if, in a panic, you try to put it in gear and you grab the wrong gear?  What happens if your syncros decide to take a vacation and it fails to go into gear?  Will you have the wherewithal in such a scenario to not panic and remember to double-clutch it into gear rather than choke and freeze up?

It is always safest, when moving, to have the car in an appropriate gear for the speed being traveled and to have the clutch engaged.  If you're coasting in neutral and suddenly stuff it in gear and dump the clutch (or just coasting with the car in gear but the clutch disengaged) without matching revs correctly, you can cause the car to lurch and the weight shift can cause you to lose control if it happens while you're trying to make an evasive maneuver.

No, Tave is right. You can anticipate a situation where you may need to be in gear vs. not. He even gave the example of a blind curve to illustrate that such situations are 99% of the time not emergency maneuvers, but there is some tiny chance they could be.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on May 07, 2011, 12:38:52 PM
No, Tave is right. You can anticipate a situation where you may need to be in gear vs. not. He even gave the example of a blind curve to illustrate that such situations are 99% of the time not emergency maneuvers, but there is some tiny chance they could be.
There is a reason they're called emergency situations.  They don't gradually get worse.  They instantly appear.

I never coast out of gear or with the clutch in.  If my car is moving then it's in a gear and the clutch is out.

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT666 on May 08, 2011, 08:34:30 AM
There is a reason they're called emergency situations.  They don't gradually get worse.  They instantly appear.

I never coast out of gear or with the clutch in.  If my car is moving then it's in a gear and the clutch is out.

Okay, but what if you're cruising in 5th, and then have to slow down and make a right turn. Do you actually clutch out in every gear, or just go 5-2, pausing slightly to let get to a reasonable speed for 2nd? Or something in between, say, move the shifter through every gear, but don't clutch-out unless you have to.

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 08, 2011, 06:39:23 PM
Okay, but what if you're cruising in 5th, and then have to slow down and make a right turn. Do you actually clutch out in every gear, or just go 5-2, pausing slightly to let get to a reasonable speed for 2nd? Or something in between, say, move the shifter through every gear, but don't clutch-out unless you have to.
If the corner really requires 2nd gear, then I would normally drop out of 5th, skip 4th, and go straight to 3rd, rev match, and let the clutch out, and then drop to 2nd.

Tave

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2011, 08:44:36 AM
And what happens if, in a panic, you try to put it in gear and you grab the wrong gear? What happens if your syncros decide to take a vacation and it fails to go into gear?  Will you have the wherewithal in such a scenario to not panic and remember to double-clutch it into gear rather than choke and freeze up?

It is always safest, when moving, to have the car in an appropriate gear for the speed being traveled and to have the clutch engaged.  If you're coasting in neutral and suddenly stuff it in gear and dump the clutch (or just coasting with the car in gear but the clutch disengaged) without matching revs correctly, you can cause the car to lurch and the weight shift can cause you to lose control if it happens while you're trying to make an evasive maneuver.

Tell me again why I'm panicking/making evasive maneuvers on an open road with no cars/pedestrians/obstructions in my way?

There is a reason they're called emergency situations.  They don't gradually get worse.  They instantly appear.

Not really. The only thing that has ever "instantly appeared" in front of me or anyone I know is a deer. When a deer pops out in front of you, you need to brake as much as possible, not gear down. :huh:

If the roads were as unpredictable as you guys suggest, we'd all be dead by now.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

So say you're approaching a red light. Instead of just braking and then clutch-in before it stalls, or clutch-in as soon as you start to brake and coast, you go through each individual gear on your way to a complete stop in front of the light/sign that you can clearly see approaching?

That isn't saving you from anything.

Rupert

That's fine. Like I said, there is really no singular correct way to drive a stick.

But, again, Tave hit it. If you aren't paying attention, maybe some kid can instantly appear in front of you. If you are paying attention, you will know that you are in a place where there are kids, you will observe that all the parked cars make for a great place for a kid to be hiding, or you will notice the ball that rolls in front of you, and you will take the appropriate measures (maybe slow down, move to the middle of the road, and guard the brake). Kid runs out, you are ready, no kid, fine.

Accidents don't usually happen because one person fucks up. Usually, one person fucks up, and the other person fucks up their reaction (e.g. not paying attention and not reacting fast enough) or their anticipation (e.g. not glancing to either side before going through a green light four-way intersection).

SVT666

Take this situation for example.  I was coming up to an intersection in the right lane.  I slowed a little and dropped the car into 2nd gear because the light had just turned yellow.  The passenger door of the car beside me in the left lane was about even with my front bumper.  He decided to turn right...with me in the way.  I floored it and swung to the right and went through the intersection on the yellow.  If I was coasting to a stop on the brakes with the car out of gear, my only option would have been to hit the brakes harder...putting me right into his passenger door.  I'm sorry man, but I could not have predicted that.

Tave

A car in front of you turns into you, and you have a better chance avoiding it by accelerating than braking? I don't think so.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on May 09, 2011, 04:07:40 PM
Take this situation for example.  I was coming up to an intersection in the right lane.  I slowed a little and dropped the car into 2nd gear because the light had just turned yellow.  The passenger door of the car beside me in the left lane was about even with my front bumper.  He decided to turn right...with me in the way.  I floored it and swung to the right and went through the intersection on the yellow.  If I was coasting to a stop on the brakes with the car out of gear, my only option would have been to hit the brakes harder...putting me right into his passenger door.  I'm sorry man, but I could not have predicted that.
Yeah but it's not like he would've slammed on the brakes too... if you had slammed on the brakes, he would've gone past you. In fact I think accelerating past the car in front of you turning right is just silly.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

He was turning into me guys.  He wasn't turning in front of me.  His passenger door was even with the front of my car. 

Rupert

I've driven a lot of miles, and never once wished I was in gear when I wasn't. I guess I can see the future better than you. :huh:

SVT666

I guess so.  Unfortunately, most people on the road don't even see it as well as I do, so that should scare the fuck out of you.

Rupert

Nope. No accidents, either.

GoCougs

Wow, this is a fascinating thread; this level of detail this.

S204STi

More fascinating is the idea that coasting out of gear is apparently considered acceptable by some people.  IIRC it's actually illegal here.