2006 Pontiac Solstice vs. 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Started by BMWDave, September 22, 2005, 05:08:21 PM

Raghavan

QuoteWhen's the last time GM made a product that outhandled its competitors? Seriously.
Name a car less than $50,000 that outdoes the corvette.
Lotus Elise
Yet its nowhere near as practical, and nowhere near as comfortable...nowhere near as fast, nowhere near as powerful.  About the only thing it outdoes it in is handling and exclusivity.
Nowhere near as fast?  Maybe in flat out speed, but 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the Elise aren't far off from the Vette.

Besides, the question was to name one car under $50K that will outhandle the Vette.  There you go.
Outdoes, not outhandle  ;)
But the elise outdoes the Vette in weight, coolness, looks, handling and balance.
In that case, an ariel atom would "outdo" the Vette.  The Elise has a very strong point going for it-and that is its handling.  But its not a comfortable car by any means, and the Vette is just a more all around car.
Well, I think the Elise is better because i'm just a big troll. :praise:  :lol:  

Raza

QuoteWhen's the last time GM made a product that outhandled its competitors? Seriously.
Lotus Elise
Yet its nowhere near as practical, and nowhere near as comfortable...nowhere near as fast, nowhere near as powerful.  About the only thing it outdoes it in is handling and exclusivity.
I could live with an Elise.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

Lotus Elise
I could live with an Elise.
Its much easier to live with a Vette.  I could also make an effort to live everyday with an elise, but its just not a practical everyday car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

It would be easier to live with the Elise in the city.  Easy parallel parking.

And the Elise gets better gas mileage than the Vette.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteIt would be easier to live with the Elise in the city.  Easy parallel parking.

Take a 300 mile drive in it, tell me how your butt feels after that :P  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteIt would be easier to live with the Elise in the city.  Easy parallel parking.

Take a 300 mile drive in it, tell me how your butt feels after that :P
Fine.  Get me an Elise!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteIt would be easier to live with the Elise in the city.  Easy parallel parking.

That last statement isn't entirely true, it depends on what kind of driving you do. The Vette gets better fuel economy on the highway (28 verse 27) while the Elise gets better fuel economy in the city (23 verse 18).

280Z Turbo

You'll never see those numbers in a Vette unless you drive like a granny.

Raghavan

QuoteIt would be easier to live with the Elise in the city.  Easy parallel parking.

That last statement isn't entirely true, it depends on what kind of driving you do. The Vette gets better fuel economy on the highway (28 verse 27) while the Elise gets better fuel economy in the city (23 verse 18).
Combined the Elise gets better MPG, and in most real world situations, the Elise will get a better MPG, unless you're some weirdo who lives on the highway and NEVER drives in the city.

Raza

I remember reading that the Euro Elise got 50mpg combined...  Must be the Type 72?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i