C5
2 (5.7%)
C6
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

TBR

Quote from: r0tor on May 11, 2011, 09:08:40 AM
Round eye C1 for me...

It twas the prettiest, but the C6 is probably the only one I would buy.

S204STi

In terms of looks I prefer the C3, but I voted for the C6 since it's a close-2nd in terms of looks,  it's built better than any previous generation, and it's off the chain in terms of performance.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Since this is question is based on looks I'll have to go with the C3 (pre-plastic) hands down. That Coke bottle shape is gorgeous!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

Quote from: r0tor on May 11, 2011, 09:08:40 AM
Round eye C1 for me...

You realize that car, while having all hand-formed fiberglass panels, still had a solid rear axle, drums, a 2-speed auto, and the Blue Flame six with 150 hp, right? It is classic, but it's an open air roadster/tourer -- not a proper sports car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on May 12, 2011, 11:13:45 PM
You realize that car, while having all hand-formed fiberglass panels, still had a solid rear axle, drums, a 2-speed auto, and the Blue Flame six with 150 hp, right? It is classic, but it's an open air roadster/tourer -- not a proper sports car.

I'll bet it would still lap any track faster than an MG TF.

Rupert

Teuts, you realize that the solid rear axle persisted in many many sporting cars through at least the '70s, right? Most of the super-pure sports cars through the '70s had an SRA. Drum brakes, too, were pretty standard all around for the time. 150 hp wasn't too bad, when compared to, say, the pure sports car MG TF with under 70 hp. The automatic is the only thing you listed that remotely supports your "not-a-proper-sports-car" conclusion.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on May 13, 2011, 12:39:23 AM
Teuts, you realize that the solid rear axle persisted in many many sporting cars through at least the '70s, right? Most of the super-pure sports cars through the '70s had an SRA. Drum brakes, too, were pretty standard all around for the time. 150 hp wasn't too bad, when compared to, say, the pure sports car MG TF with under 70 hp. The automatic is the only thing you listed that remotely supports your "not-a-proper-sports-car" conclusion.

Automatics were new technology at that time too. GM was trying to showcase the new Powerglide trans in their flagship sports car.

r0tor

That's exactly why its the one I want... because its the most stylish and properish sports car out of all the vettes
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

That was only its first two years of production. At the end of the C1 run disk brakes, 4sp M/T and 360 hp fuel injected V8 were all available.

Raza

Okay, since my trolling didn't work, nostalgia dictates that I must choose the C4 here, since Templeton Peck drove one and it really was my introduction to Corvettes. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2011, 12:54:58 PM
That was only its first two years of production. At the end of the C1 run disk brakes, 4sp M/T and 360 hp fuel injected V8 were all available.

Disc brakes weren't available until 1965.

Tave

I think the later C1s with the two-tone side coves look much better than the original models. The 53-55s didn't look bad, but they were rather unremarkable.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2011, 02:48:08 PM
I think the later C1s with the two-tone side coves look much better than the original models. The 53-55s didn't look bad, but they were rather unremarkable.
I agree!!!

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

I felt the single-lamped C1s were the prettiest of that generation (the dual lamps just don't cut it for me), but they were also the 1950s equivalent of the retro T-bird that Ford introduced in the early 2000s.  Nice to look at, not much of a driver, though.  

While I recognize the significance of the C2, I've never found them all that attractive.  The front end looks.... wrong.  Aerodynamically it looks like it would lift like a boat hull.  The back is sexy, though.

The Coke-bottle shape of the C3, particularly the early models, is classic.  One of my favorites, aesthetically.  They were pretty much rubbish otherwise, though, and they were sold for way too long.  The were also the Vette of an automotive dark ages.

The C4 was sort of the resurgence of performance, but I find them hard to love.  They're a bit bland to look at.  In the 80s, they were cool looking, but by the mid-90s they were looking pretty dated compared to the likes of the FD RX-7 or MkIV Supra.  They sold for 13 model years with very little in the way of aesthetic updates.  The interior was 80s-tastic (which was OK in the 80s, not so much after '91).  And the first 7 years or so, they weren't very good.  Poorly-assembled rattle-traps with that POS 4+3 transmission.

I loved the C5 right up until the C6 came out.  Styling was great except for the tail end, which was way too large and flat (like they ran out of money and/or ideas and just lopped it off at the tail).  This was especially bad on the coupes.  The liftbacks had a better profile.  Unfortunately, the interior looked like something you'd find in an S10 or Cavalier.  Solid performer, though.

C6 is probably my favorite.  The styling addressed my one complaint regarding the C5, and the interior doesn't look like it was ripped from a $12K economy car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I see a Corvette C1 every couple weeks here - it's got a dark blue/powder blue thing going on. It's a lovely looking car. I don't care if it's slow.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Well, C4, and C5 are definitely at the bottom of the list.

C 1, C2, C3, and C6 are all great cars imo.

3.0L V6

C6 here. It's a legit daily driver that has near supercar performance. The C5 is close to it, but lacks the extra polish.

The C1 and C2 are both showcases of the best of automotive technology of the time, and the early C3's have serious power, but later versions seem to give off that mullet sporting, trailer trash vibe. The C4 was good for its time but has dated badly - both in the looks and performance department, save for the ZR-1

68_427

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on May 14, 2011, 04:32:10 PM
C6 here. It's a legit daily driver that has near supercar performance. The C5 is close to it, but lacks the extra polish.

The C1 and C2 are both showcases of the best of automotive technology of the time, and the early C3's have serious power, but later versions seem to give off that mullet sporting, trailer trash vibe. The C4 was good for its time but has dated badly - both in the looks and performance department, save for the ZR-1

Spot on with the descriptions.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

SVT666

I find the C3 to be automotive vulgarity at it's worst.  It's a horrific design and I don't understand anyone that likes it.

omicron

Quote from: SVT666 on May 16, 2011, 05:26:16 PM
I find the C3 to be automotive vulgarity at it's worst.  It's a horrific design and I don't understand anyone that likes it.

How intriguing. I find the early C3s to be quite delightful (aside from the HK Holden dashboard). The sudden rape the of solid front bumper in 1973 marks the end of the elegant C3 and the beginning of the hefty-edition, but prior to then, the style is so delightfully crisp.

93JC

Quote from: SVT666 on May 16, 2011, 05:26:16 PM

:nutty:

Your argument is invalid.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on May 17, 2011, 11:02:38 AM
:nutty:

Your argument is invalid.

Some of the later model fiberglass (?) bodied ones do look really cheap. The early C3's are dynamite, though.

93JC

They're all fibreglass. Every Corvette has a fibreglass body.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 2o6 on May 17, 2011, 11:05:57 AM
Some of the later model fiberglass (?) bodied ones do look really cheap. The early C3's are dynamite, though.
I think you're talking about the Later C3s that had plastic bumpers.

sportyaccordy

W/my money? C5 Z06

Money no object? C6 Z51

Favorite Corvette I would NEVER want to own? C4 ZR-1

omicron

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 21, 2011, 03:41:14 PM
W/my money? C5 Z06

Money no object? C6 Z51

Favorite Corvette I would NEVER want to own? C4 ZR-1
You'd pick a C6 Z51 over a C6 ZR1 if money was no object?

68_427

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on May 22, 2011, 09:25:25 AM
You'd pick a C6 Z51 over a C6 ZR1 if money was no object?

They don't even make the Z51 anymore.  It's the Grandsport now.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no