Coronet

Started by Secret Chimp, May 19, 2011, 11:12:03 AM

68_427

The car looks so clean without the side molding.

Needs bags, even if only for practical reason.  (Maybe eventually)  Better/flatter handling, and a variable ride hight depending on how much weight's going to be in the car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

Arg, nobody sells just the wiper rubber insert any more. I might just have to buy some shitty blades that are built with the rubber you can still pinch and pull out.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 21, 2011, 03:50:49 PM
Arg, nobody sells just the wiper rubber insert any more. I might just have to buy some shitty blades that are built with the rubber you can still pinch and pull out.

My parents buy them online somewhere to save four dollars or whatever.

Secret Chimp

Eye of the Tiger

Wagginoise.
Dodge V8's sound the best. Fords are second best. Chevys sound boring.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

I just put in 5 quarts o' fresh 15W-40 Rotella with a Wix filter as big as a baby's head. It looks like the rear main seal or something is leaking based on the crud back there, but it's only leaving a couple drips after a drive so I don't really care right now. I'm curious how much oil this thing uses... there's no catalysts so I'm assuming not a ton since I'm never seeing any smoke.

Oh and I also saw that the front ride height has the lower arms about half an inch from the bump stops. No wonder big bumps are "crashy." Adding a half inch in the rear and front should help without making it look much different.

Secret Chimp

Wagginride - if someone wants to flip this the right way go right ahead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oaZ53-iNwY

Cookie Monster

Damn, there's something about that car that I just really like... I'm generally not a huge fan of big old wagons like that but I would trade my car for that in a heartbeat.

Maybe because it looks like a giant rolling refrigerator, or the fact that you'd look so pimp just pulling up to some place in that thing...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Secret Chimp

Quote from: thecarnut on May 21, 2011, 10:25:24 PM
Damn, there's something about that car that I just really like... I'm generally not a huge fan of big old wagons like that but I would trade my car for that in a heartbeat.

Maybe because it looks like a giant rolling refrigerator, or the fact that you'd look so pimp just pulling up to some place in that thing...

Everybody likes waggin. I do think that it's funny that this thing is so cool to so many people now, when back in the day it was just some familymobile for dorks and you had to have a 440 and a 4 speed to be the cool dude.

omicron

Secret Chimp

Quote from: omicron on May 22, 2011, 07:24:58 AM
So many dangerous emissions! :wub:

Tis only water vapor. But it does smell deadly.

Laconian

Wasn't the wagon made for leaded gasoline? Do you have to put in some kind of additive?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

Quote from: Laconian on May 22, 2011, 12:21:38 PM
Wasn't the wagon made for leaded gasoline? Do you have to put in some kind of additive?

Nah
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Laconian on May 22, 2011, 12:21:38 PM

I'm running premium in it... the whole leaded thing supposedly comes into play with harder running (higher sustained exhaust and head temps = o fuk my exhaust valves are sinking into the head). If I can find a bottle I'll start using it, the previous owner didn't though.

hotrodalex

Or just get some hardened valve seats.

68_427

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 22, 2011, 05:11:10 PM

Why would you want to sit on something hard?

:lol:
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 22, 2011, 05:11:10 PM

"Or just drop hundreds of dollars on shit that doesn't need fixing yet"

Secret Chimp

I found this in a pocket that said "for dealer use only" under the hood next to the radiator. It's a piece of embossed tin with the original owner's name and address. Based on some Internetting it looks like the guy might have died in 1997 but my girlfriend found a lady on Facebook who sounded old (in a crocheting club and knitting club) who might be related to him, and Kevin's boyfriend knows someone by the same last name too. It'll be cool if I can find the guy or someone related to him to give this back to.

I also found that the odometer and the speedo are running under... I'm guessing the speedometer gear has worn enough of itself off to have an effectively smaller gear ratio. I don't know if the gear itself is replaceable or if it's part of the transmission; apparently a company makes reduction/whatever-the-opposite-of-reduction-is boxes to compensate for taller tires, so I can buy one of those if I have to disassemble transmission crap to fix this. Which I probably should, since it's about 20% slow right now.

hotrodalex

Are the speedometer and odometer connected? The Road's speedometer is slow too, but I wasn't going to bother with it. I don't look down a whole lot, and when I do I can just do the math real quick and figure it out. But if it affects the odometer, I might have to do something about it.

Byteme

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 19, 2011, 10:32:16 PM
Wagon is at my house. The brakes really feel like they're either backed too far off the drums or need to be bled or both... they stop strongly but absolutely nothing happens for the first few inches of pedal travel.

But daaaaang is this thing a cruiser. I've only driven it home from the east side of the lake so far, but I could've driven to Canada without stopping if I felt like it.

I too like sans-trim. I think I'll fill the trim holes with carpenter's nails with the heads painted to match or something easily reversible.

I've been on vacation so I am just now seeing this.  Nice find.  Cold be the brakes just need adjusting.  As you probably know, unlike discs, drums need adjusting, either automatically by applying them while reversing or manually.  A good long bleed to clear the old fluid fromt he system couldn't hurt and fluid is cheap.

I like the chrome trim on the car BTW.  From the looks in the pictures this one should clean up nicely.  Congrats on a good find.  Also, if you want to make this truely unique, a 66-67 Charger Grill and head light assembly would fit in there.  It would be a tad pricy though.

sportyaccordy

I'm so confused

But in a good way

Wagon looks very cool man congrats on the pick up. You got balls man! Lotta people talk about getting weird old cars but you went through with it. Looks like you got a good one too.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: EtypeJohn on May 23, 2011, 07:06:15 AM
I've been on vacation so I am just now seeing this.  Nice find.  Cold be the brakes just need adjusting.  As you probably know, unlike discs, drums need adjusting, either automatically by applying them while reversing or manually.  A good long bleed to clear the old fluid fromt he system couldn't hurt and fluid is cheap.

I like the chrome trim on the car BTW.  From the looks in the pictures this one should clean up nicely.  Congrats on a good find.  Also, if you want to make this truely unique, a 66-67 Charger Grill and head light assembly would fit in there.  It would be a tad pricy though.

Now that is a cool idea...

Tave

I'd like to throw my vote in with the no-trimmers.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

I vote for Charger grille, and disc brakes.

shp4man

Nice car. Saw it in the other thread. Just my personal opinion, but those old style 5 spoke mags really look nice on vintage Chrysler vehicles. If you fart around with the ride height it will need to be re-aligned. Also, like EtypeJohn said, adjust the brakes.

50 series tires in the rear, Plum Crazy paint and a blower sticking out of the hood...just kidding. :ohyeah:

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 23, 2011, 05:23:59 AM
Are the speedometer and odometer connected? The Road's speedometer is slow too, but I wasn't going to bother with it. I don't look down a whole lot, and when I do I can just do the math real quick and figure it out. But if it affects the odometer, I might have to do something about it.

Odo on the 944 is just broken. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on May 23, 2011, 07:59:53 PM
Odo on the 944 is just broken. :huh:

Well if the odometer is slow, I'll have to fix the gas gauge before I start driving it. I figured I could just go off the odometer to know when to fill up, but that won't work if it's not correct. :lol:

Secret Chimp

Fixed the rear window motor - it was either an almost-broken wire under the bumper or a safety switch that wasn't quite switching on (part of the right hand latch flips up and hits a switch to let the motor work only if the tailgate is closed).

I would have saved a lot of time if I knew about that switch... you know, when I cut out and patched the broken wire yesterday and did a check with the tailgate down (disabling the motor wires). That was probably all I needed to do...

I have to get the rear glass and regulator out now, though, as it's impossible to get the motor back there with everything bolted down.

Hopefully somebody's buying the Miata transmission tomorrow, which will give me enough moneys to replace any ball joints up front that are rattling around. Maybe enough for a rebuilt steering box too.

Eye of the Tiger