Question about A/C usage after starting engine on a really hot day

Started by cawimmer430, May 20, 2011, 09:41:32 AM

cawimmer430

I'm down in M?hldorf for the weekend and I have no garage for the BMW so it tends to be parked on public parking lots. It's a really hot day today. Really hot. The car was parked outside for nearly half the day. Upon entering the car I immediately turned on the A/C to maximum coolness and full power and then drove away.

Here's my question.

Is this in any way harmful to the engine or A/C components - using the A/C at full power immediately after starting the car as it was parked in the blazing heat for several hours?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on May 20, 2011, 09:56:33 AM
Short answer:  No.

Good to hear. Because I'll be using my A/C like this very often in the upcoming days in this terrible heat. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

An air conditioner works by moving heat from the inside of the car to the heat exchanger in front of the radiator. The more heat it moves, the more power it takes to run. Hopefully, BMW overbuilds the cooling system and charging system enough to take the load.

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on May 20, 2011, 04:06:11 PM
An air conditioner works by moving heat from the inside of the car to the heat exchanger in front of the radiator. The more heat it moves, the more power it takes to run. Hopefully, BMW overbuilds the cooling system and charging system enough to take the load.

Seeing as the interior of a car that has been sitting out in the sun on a hot day is generally warmer than the ambient outside air, the A/C actually has a easier time pumping heat out of the car.  At least initially.  It's when you start trying to cool the car to temperatures below the outside ambient that it really needs to work to move heat.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Yes.  If you use the air conditioner, it will explode. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Damn, what did you guys study in college? Rocket science?  :lol:

Thanks for the responses. Abused my A/C again today after starting up the car. God damn what a hot day. It's so hot here I want to walk around nude!  :mask:

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24906.msg1519405#msg1519405 date=1305960818
Yes.  If you use the air conditioner, it will explode.  

:thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 21, 2011, 05:08:14 AM
Damn, what did you guys study in college? Rocket science?  :lol:

As a matter of fact, I actually did study rocket science in college.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

I actually studied air conditioning in college, but I'd go with whatever the rocket scientist says.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

OK, somewhat related:

My mom says that using the heater burns up gas.

I think she is wrong, since hot coolant is going through the heater core already, and the blower is nothing more than an electric motor that moves the air from the heater core to the cabin.

Am I wrong?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 21, 2011, 12:04:11 PM
OK, somewhat related:

I think she is wrong, since hot coolant is going through the heater core already, and the blower is nothing more than an electric motor that moves the air from the heater core to the cabin.

Am I wrong?

The heater makes no difference. Either all the heat goes out the radiator, or some of it is diverted to the heater.Just a small amount of energy is used for the blower motor.

Laconian

Your mom seems to be very opinionated about her theories of how cars work.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on May 21, 2011, 07:32:02 AM
As a matter of fact, I actually did study rocket science in college.

RESPECT!  :mrcool:

I remember you mentioning a few years ago something about mechanical studies in college or something along those lines.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Rupert

OK, somewhat related:

Am I wrong?

She's way off. The AC can use more gas, but that's mostly in older cars.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

OK, somewhat related:

Am I wrong?

You're only wrong if she drives a Chevy Volt.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on May 21, 2011, 12:53:38 AM
Yes.  If you use the air conditioner, it will explode. 

+1.  I don't care what variety of rocket surgery these guys studied, I once saw an engine asplode with the AC on, so obviously that was the cause.

:lol:

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 21, 2011, 01:30:38 PM
Your mom seems to be very opinionated about her theories of how cars work.

She told me her Econoline has cylinder deactivation.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on May 21, 2011, 10:08:36 PM
She told me her Econoline has cylinder deactivation.

It's probably called "misfiring."

Rupert

Dead (not firing) cylinders don't count as cylinder deactivation...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

The Chevrolet Corvair used gas for the heater:

"The passenger compartment was heated by a gasoline heater mounted next to the spare tire in the luggage compartment. While it offered immediate hot air, customers complained of what they thought might be decreased gas mileage on cold days and through long winters. Chevrolet redesigned the heating system for the 1961 model year, yet left it up to customers to choose the gas heater until the end of the 1964 model year."

I saw a Corvair convertible just yesterday. It's cool that GM let its engineers go nuts on that car, but it wasn't smart to give them a mainstream car as their playground. At least with the Porsche 911, all the handling weirdness would be dismissed as "it's an exotic, gotta treat it right!"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

S204STi

Sweet zombie Jesus, I'm surprised more people didn't DIAF back then. :mask:

hounddog

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 21, 2011, 12:14:44 PM
The heater makes no difference. Either all the heat goes out the radiator, or some of it is diverted to the heater.Just a small amount of energy is used for the blower motor.
My understanding is that the defroster runs off the AC pump.

If true, then she could be at least partly right, right?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hounddog on May 22, 2011, 07:05:59 AM
My understanding is that the defroster runs off the AC pump.

If true, then she could be at least partly right, right?

Most cars do run the AC when the defroster is selected. I like to bypass that feature to save gas.

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 20, 2011, 09:41:32 AM
I'm down in M?hldorf for the weekend and I have no garage for the BMW so it tends to be parked on public parking lots. It's a really hot day today. Really hot. The car was parked outside for nearly half the day. Upon entering the car I immediately turned on the A/C to maximum coolness and full power and then drove away.

Here's my question.

Is this in any way harmful to the engine or A/C components - using the A/C at full power immediately after starting the car as it was parked in the blazing heat for several hours?

Modern car AC systems could almost cool a small house. 

Turn the air off, start the car, roll down the windows for a minute or so to expell the trapped hot air while you:  turn the air to MAX AC or Recirc (depends on how your's is labeled) and turn the blower to max and the temp as low as it will go.  After a minute or so roll the windows back up.

hotrodalex

I try not to use the A/C in my Saturn, I just roll the windows down. A/C sucks too much power and kills any hope of acceleration. :mask:

MX793

Quote from: EtypeJohn on May 23, 2011, 07:27:36 AM
Modern car AC systems could almost cool a small house.  

Turn the air off, start the car, roll down the windows for a minute or so to expell the trapped hot air while you:  turn the air to MAX AC or Recirc (depends on how your's is labeled) and turn the blower to max and the temp as low as it will go.  After a minute or so roll the windows back up.

Seems to me that newer car ACs don't cool nearly as well as they did 20 years ago.  The AC in my old 240SX was far better at cooling the cabin than my Mazda has ever been (and I suspect the 240 might have even been due for a system recharge).  Haven't driven the Mustang in hot weather yet to see how that one does.
Needs more Jiggawatts

shp4man

R134a is a little less efficient than R12 at cooling, but doesn't affect the ozone layer.

hotrodalex

Our Mazda6's AC isn't very good; it's about as cool as my Saturn's fan without the AC on. I'm thinking it could just be a Mazda thing.

Byteme

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 23, 2011, 07:02:42 PM
Our Mazda6's AC isn't very good; it's about as cool as my Saturn's fan without the AC on. I'm thinking it could just be a Mazda thing.

Our 3's and 6's AC cool the interior well enough so that I could hang sides of beef in the back seat.  My wife and son like it cold, I don't. So I usually shut the pneumonia holes blowing cold air at me or redirect them at them. 

The Miata's AC is marginal.