If I were to buy a new car today...

Started by Raza , May 21, 2011, 12:27:56 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on May 24, 2011, 09:18:57 PM
The G37 is a technically good car, but for some reason, the thought of owning one makes me cringe.  If someone gave me one, I'd defend it to the hilt, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one. 

weird, that's kind of how I feel about most VW/Audi products

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24911.msg1521921#msg1521921 date=1306293537
The G37 is a technically good car, but for some reason, the thought of owning one makes me cringe.  If someone gave me one, I'd defend it to the hilt, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one. 
It's a fantastic car...if we're talking about the sedan that is.  The coupe has too many faults; namely the sound it makes and the ridiculously low ceiling.  I had to rake the seatback so much that it wasn't even close to comfortable.  This is not bias speaking either, because I was planning on the coupe being my next car at the time I test drove it.  The problem with the sedan?  A manual tranny is only available on the most expensive version of it, and the auto's paddle shifters are far too slow to react.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 24, 2011, 10:29:39 PM
weird, that's kind of how I feel about most VW/Audi products
That's how I feel too.  I don't know why, but I do.

Raza

Quote from: sparkplug on May 24, 2011, 10:05:48 PM
I'll make you a sunroof. Let me get my saw. By the way, you don't mind if it closes do you.

You're back!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TBR on May 24, 2011, 10:19:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you driven it? Pretty sure if I was shopping that segment I would probably end-up with one. The 335i and S4 are better cars, but I can't really believe they are $10-20k better.
One thing I will say is the V6 in the G is pretty coarse. The new one's interior is alright, better than the Bimmer's IMO, but nowhere near the Audi's. Plus w/the Audi, if it matters, you get awesome AWD and stickshift. So there's enough that if what you need/value is unavailable in the G but available in the S4 the price bump would be worth it. If the Audi were RWD and lighter it would be a no brainer

Raza

Quote from: TBR on May 24, 2011, 10:19:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you driven it? Pretty sure if I was shopping that segment I would probably end-up with one. The 335i and S4 are better cars, but I can't really believe they are $10-20k better.

I haven't actually.  After a G35, a 370Z, and several 350Zs, I have hard time believing that it's any more engaging than those and they left me somewhat cold.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

The first gen G35 sedan sure is holding its styling. Every time I see one I think, "wow, still looks great." The second get G3x sedan, not so much. The styling seems too faddish and isn't wearing too well IMO. But on paper they're great deals, and with a slightly used model easily had well below $30k. For 2011 the dealio is they've greatly isolated the VQ so NVH is far better than in previous years; reported to be actually quite good. The base wheels on the sedan look absolute horrible - I'd got with the 18" split spoke upgrade and then I think the G37 could float up to the top if I wanted to spend that much (TBD).

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24911.msg1520575#msg1520575 date=1306115633
Anyone have experience advice on buying a car sight unseen?
Yes, do not do that.

I ordered my truck sight unseen, but that is a new vehicle purchase of something I am already familiar with.

Hate to see you get a pile.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on May 25, 2011, 01:05:15 PM
Yes, do not do that.

I ordered my truck sight unseen, but that is a new vehicle purchase of something I am already familiar with.

Hate to see you get a pile.

I'm certainly apprehensive about the idea.  If it's close enough to my buddy down south, I'm sure he wouldn't mind checking it out for me, but if it's not near South Carolina, taking a look at it is a big problem. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on May 25, 2011, 07:42:33 AM
The problem with the sedan?  A manual tranny is only available on the most expensive version of it, and the auto's paddle shifters are far too slow to react.

Sadly, you have to pony up to the priciest trim to get a stickshift in the coupe as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2011, 12:49:01 PM
The first gen G35 sedan sure is holding its styling. Every time I see one I think, "wow, still looks great." The second get G3x sedan, not so much. The styling seems too faddish and isn't wearing too well IMO. But on paper they're great deals, and with a slightly used model easily had well below $30k. For 2011 the dealio is they've greatly isolated the VQ so NVH is far better than in previous years; reported to be actually quite good. The base wheels on the sedan look absolute horrible - I'd got with the 18" split spoke upgrade and then I think the G37 could float up to the top if I wanted to spend that much (TBD).

Even more than the 1st gen, the 1st gen coupe. I still turn my head whenever I see one, I absolutely love them. They've aged ridiculously well.

100% agreed about the second gen, though.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

I was never a fan of the 1st-gen sedan, but the second-gen looks quite nice. I do like the 1st-gen coupe.

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on May 25, 2011, 04:14:53 PM
I was never a fan of the 1st-gen sedan, but the second-gen looks quite nice. I do like the 1st-gen coupe.

+1.  1st gen sedans looked too tall and narrow.  They just didn't look like sport sedan.  It looked a little awkward, IMO.  The 2nd gen's lower, wider stance and faster greenhouse shape leaves no question of its sporting intentions.

Coupes of both generations look great.  I think I may actually prefer the 1st gen to the 2nd in looks (but much prefer the 2nd gen's interior).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

I never liked the front fascia of the G35, but IMO the G37 changed that.

But the stance and simpler profile of the G35 coupe is better, IMO. I also thought the wheel choices of the G35 (especially the sedan) looked like crap.

sparkplug

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24911.msg1522166#msg1522166 date=1306347992
You're back!

I never left. Just didn't login or post. My crazy comments aren't always needed.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Tave

The first G35 coupe had a fat ass. The new one is much better.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SJ_GTI

I don't actually know the dimensions, but the G37 looks really big (both the coupe and the sedan).

If I had to stay under 35k for a new car I'd probably go with a 1 series or a Camaro. I don't think I could go back to FWD again.