If I were to buy a new car today...

Started by Raza , May 21, 2011, 12:27:56 AM

Rupert

That's why there are two cars, mate. ;)

Alternatively, keep the Jetta and just buy the 911. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: The Pirate on May 22, 2011, 04:55:28 PM
Hah, we are totally different people.  If I have $35K to spend on a car, I'm buying 3 or 4 sub $7K vehicles and keeping the rest for repairs and upkeep.

Not all of us have the available parking space to keep 3+ cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 22, 2011, 05:37:02 PM
With a 70 hour work week and no skills, I can't depend on a car that could potentially break down a lot. 

Like I said, this is purely a hypothetical situation fellows.  Don't get too excited, I'll likely keep the Jetta.
Seriously though, S2000 (or older Boxster S!) + 4 door sedan of your choice. E46s are a lot more reliable than you think.

Eye of the Tiger

I actually heard that Jettas are pretty unreliable. Maybe you should consider a Hyundai Accent, or Veloster.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 22, 2011, 07:32:05 PM
Seriously though, S2000 (or older Boxster S!) + 4 door sedan of your choice. E46s are a lot more reliable than you think.

I ran some numbers and did some soul searching....you're a lot closer to what's going to happen than you think. 

Anyone have experience buying a car sight unseen?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on May 22, 2011, 07:53:53 PM
I ran some numbers and did some soul searching....you're a lot closer to what's going to happen than you think. 

Personally I wouldn't, depending on age, and you living in the north east.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 68_427 on May 22, 2011, 07:54:41 PM
Personally I wouldn't, depending on age, and you living in the north east.
I just wouldn't in the NE. In fact, I would go one step further and say avoid all cars from the NE, we are hard as hell on our cars. I've had 2 cars not from the NE, and both were solid + super reliable; way more than the same cars from here.

I would make a "thing" of it... look up cars down in Florida, buy something and drive it back up the East Coast. Really bond with the car. I have friends who have done this and love it.

Eye of the Tiger

I bought my Accent with ever seeing it. I test drove a similar one, then decided I wanted different options.

68_427

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 22, 2011, 07:56:51 PM
I just wouldn't in the NE. In fact, I would go one step further and say avoid all cars from the NE, we are hard as hell on our cars. I've had 2 cars not from the NE, and both were solid + super reliable; way more than the same cars from here.

I would make a "thing" of it... look up cars down in Florida, buy something and drive it back up the East Coast. Really bond with the car. I have friends who have done this and love it.

Depending on your budget/car/time that may not be an option unfortunately.  Example my dad's truck blew an oil line and engine is toast, he didn't get to save as much as he wanted for a new truck and he needs one in a month.  He wanted southern, but it may not be an option.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Ah, well the only reason I would buy one sight unseen is because it is out of a one day's drive distance (500 miles roundtrip).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I bought my SVT Focus sight unseen from a private seller in San Jose.  I had the owner take the car to a Ford dealer of my choosing and then had the dealership send me the results directly and I spoke to the service manager on the phone and had him describe every detail of the car to me.  

I also bought our Explorer sight unseen from a dealership in Seattle.  The one and only question I forgot to ask was if it had been smoked in.  Whrn I picked it up I found it had been smoked in....a lot.  Two cans of Lysol later (sprayed in the air intake at the base of the windshield) and the smell never returned.

Raza

Truth be told, I'm not ready to let the Jetta go.  We're still in the honeymoon phase, even after 3 years.  Driving it just puts a smile on my face, every time.  But I would like something else.  I miss the two car setup and a roof that goes away. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: MX793 on May 22, 2011, 06:22:11 PM

True.  And that's a good thing for me.  If I had unlimited space and $35K, I'd have 30 beaters.   :rockon:

The only two things keeping me from having three cars right now is money and space. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Quote from: SVT666 on May 22, 2011, 08:21:35 PM
I bought my SVT Focus sight unseen from a private seller in San Jose.  I had the owner take the car to a Ford dealer of my choosing and then had the dealership send me the results directly and I spoke to the service manager on the phone and had him describe every detail of the car to me.  

I also bought our Explorer sight unseen from a dealership in Seattle.  The one and only question I forgot to ask was if it had been smoked in.  Whrn I picked it up I found it had been smoked in....a lot.  Two cans of Lysol later (sprayed in the air intake at the base of the windshield) and the smell never returned.

This doesn't harm anything?  My friend recently bought a car that has been smoked in (not awful, but you can tell), and this might be the fix.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on May 22, 2011, 08:24:21 PM
True.  And that's a good thing for me.  If I had unlimited space and $35K, I'd have 30 beaters.   :rockon:

The only two things keeping me from having three cars right now is money and space. 

Well, I talked to my mother about keeping the car at her house (since it would cost an extra $150 a month to park it here) and she seemed not only amenable, but pretty much behind the idea. 

Funny, the other day I was contemplating opening a piggy bank account to start saving for a Rolex DeepSea.  Now I'm looking at sports cars that cost roughly the same.  I think that's a better use for the money.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on May 22, 2011, 06:22:11 PM

Real enthusiasts move to a place with room. :ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on May 22, 2011, 08:29:27 PM
Well, I talked to my mother about keeping the car at her house (since it would cost an extra $150 a month to park it here) and she seemed not only amenable, but pretty much behind the idea. 

Funny, the other day I was contemplating opening a piggy bank account to start saving for a Rolex DeepSea.  Now I'm looking at sports cars that cost roughly the same.  I think that's a better use for the money.

It'd be stored a fair distance away, no?  That's a big hassle, IMO.  You lose the spontaneity of grabbing the keys to the 'fun' car on a sunny day.  Not that they are advantages in your situation, but one of the positives of having two cars for me is that both of my cars are old.  Something breaks, and I can just hop in and continue with the day's tasks, dealing with the breakdown at my convenience.  You lose that when the car is stored off site.  And the randomness of which car to drive at any given point - that's a big one for me.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on May 22, 2011, 08:29:27 PM

Especially if the car comes with a built-in clock.

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24911.msg1520575#msg1520575 date=1306115633

There's unseen and there's unseen. If there are meticulous photos of every inch of the car, and you or someone who knows more examine them for every detail, and there is an as-advertised guarantee (e.g. eBay), then it should work fine. I've heard a lot of just-fine stories about this kind of thing.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on May 22, 2011, 08:24:21 PM

Someday, I will be done renting crap apartments. The first property that I purchase will have acres of private car parking, and a garage. Nobody can stop me. I will not give in to the practical demands of some female type.

Rupert

IMO, the reliability aspect of new car vs. used car is greatly overblown. I have had a lot of cars, none of them newer than seven years at time-of-purchase, some of them total beaters with 240 kmiles, and I have only been stranded two times in any car ever (if you discount the times a battery has died due to storage or abuse).  Once was the crappy second Trooper, and the other was Friday, when I was driving a brand new off-the-lot with 177 miles Dodge 2500 for work, and the brakes got squishy on the top of a mountain (good times). I would trust either of my vehicles to get me 500 miles away, no problem (100 kmiles and 140 kmiles).

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=24911.msg1520603#msg1520603 date=1306117767

Cars are always a better use of money than anything that's not rent, food, or debt.

Eye of the Tiger

I really like having a new car with my 4-hour commute. It's too many miles at once to deal with being stranded at all, and I never ever ever want to have car problems when I'm driving through the Chicago ghettos in the middle of the night. A low mileage used car would probably be just as well, but meh. I'm the only one who has had his hands up under the hood since I drove it off the lot. No other monkey butts have had a chance to half ass fuck it up.

Rupert

Like I said, the only two cars that stranded me were a beater with many major engine problems (that should have been obvious from the start) and a brand-new truck. :huh:

MrH

For $35k, I'd save for a bit longer and get a 1M.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on May 22, 2011, 09:07:43 PM
Like I said, the only two cars that stranded me were a beater with many major engine problems (that should have been obvious from the start) and a brand-new truck. :huh:

Accent will never leave me stranded! Sonoma has required a tow twice. Once when the fuel pump died, and once when the tranny cooler line blew out.

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on May 22, 2011, 08:50:12 PM
IMO, the reliability aspect of new car vs. used car is greatly overblown. I have had a lot of cars, none of them newer than seven years at time-of-purchase, some of them total beaters with 240 kmiles, and I have only been stranded two times in any car ever (if you discount the times a battery has died due to storage or abuse).  Once was the crappy second Trooper, and the other was Friday, when I was driving a brand new off-the-lot with 177 miles Dodge 2500 for work, and the brakes got squishy on the top of a mountain (good times). I would trust either of my vehicles to get me 500 miles away, no problem (100 kmiles and 140 kmiles).

Used cars are certainly more reliable than they've ever been, but it's naive to not expect any downtime.  Mazda is rolling with 140K miles, on original front brake calipers, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, alternator, etc.  Those will likely need to be replaced at some point, and having a second car makes any issues less urgent.

I would trust the Mazda to drive to California tomorrow, but it's still right at the point where many cars will require some maintenance/reconditioning (100K to 160K miles).

The Pirate

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 22, 2011, 08:49:55 PM
Someday, I will be done renting crap apartments. The first property that I purchase will have acres of private car parking, and a garage. Nobody can stop me. I will not give in to the practical demands of some female type.

You and me both, man.  :praise:

Rupert

Quote from: The Pirate on May 22, 2011, 09:17:27 PM
Used cars are certainly more reliable than they've ever been, but it's naive to not expect any downtime.  Mazda is rolling with 140K miles, on original front brake calipers, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, alternator, etc.  Those will likely need to be replaced at some point, and having a second car makes any issues less urgent.

I would trust the Mazda to drive to California tomorrow, but it's still right at the point where many cars will require some maintenance/reconditioning (100K to 160K miles).

Downtime and stranded are very different. ;) :lol:

The Pirate

Quote from: Rupert on May 22, 2011, 10:03:20 PM
Downtime and stranded are very different. ;) :lol:

Agreed.  As discussed, having two cars is helpful to a downtime situation.  I believe you were the first to mention the issue of being stranded.