New 1-series pics released!

Started by MrH, June 03, 2011, 04:41:11 PM

Mustangfan2003

cawimmer430

There is a car in Japan that apparently gives it owners BlowJobs.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

I don't understand the hate at all.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 14, 2011, 08:15:16 PM

2012 BMW 1-Series = FUGLY

1976 Plymouth Volare = DESIGN MASTERPIECE

That's the gist of things.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

OK, that's like three Volare trollposts in an hour. Stop it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on June 15, 2011, 11:09:52 AM
OK, that's like three Volare trollposts in an hour. Stop it.

In an hour? More like in ten minutes!  :devil:

Guinness Book of Records, here I come!  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 2o6 on June 14, 2011, 08:15:16 PM

:huh:

I don't think it looks that different. Decent looking car, although awkward for a hatch. I am expecting the coupe to be nice, but we will see.

MexicoCityM3

On a positive note, the new 1 hatch has basically no weight gain over the previous one, which I think bodes extremely well for the weight of the next 3 (the 1 & 3 share platforms)

According to BMW official euro specs, the new 120d is actually lighter than the previous car.

The most weight gain is in the 118i which gains all of 20 kilos (45 pounds).

When they gat out the more powerful 4 banger turbos into the 1 hatch they will outrun and possibly outhandle the previous 130i.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 15, 2011, 01:16:52 PM
The most weight gain is in the 118i which gains all of 20 kilos (45 pounds).

The 118i is like the scapegoat of the 1-Series range. All the nasty stuff happens to it.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

So I checked out the new 1-Series today at BMW Welt.  I had about five minutes of seating time inside the new 1er because I arrived at BMW Welt a bit late. But before I could take some shots they locked up the cars because they were closing down.

What I Like:

1) Improved interior. Smaller panels gaps, better materials compared to mine. Not that I really care. I drive my 118i all the time and I could care less about how the interior looks or feels. Ergonomics are the same as the current one - excellent. Instruments are simply styled and easy to read just like in mine. I like that.

2) Side/Rear profile are decent. Decent because they literally look the same as the current model. Not to bad.

3) Improved solidity feel. The new model feels better built and more solid. I'm not complaining about mine being cheaply made, but the new model just feels better from a purely "feel it" point of view.

4) The new 118i engine seems really powerful (I think it has 170-hp, to lazy to look it up) and improved fuel economy. I hope the gas mileage is good. The mileage in my 118i is a joke. I've never gotten close to the BMW fuel economy claims, even if I baby it. 8-9 L / 100 km (for mine) is a joke in this day and age. My dads Mercedes E350 CGI regularly averages 7 L / 100 km and that's a nearly 300-hp V6 2-ton car!

What I Hate:

1) The Front. Hideous. FUGLY. God I just hate those enlarged kidney grilles but those headlights just take the cake. Ugly. To big. Ever heard of a "Beluga Whale"? Yeah, this is one. Later when I walked back to where I parked my 118i I reflected on how handsome and decent the front of that car looked compared to its replacement.

2) Rear occupant space has marginally improved. The transmission tunnel is still very wide and takes up valuable space. This car really should be FWD because it means more leg space for rear occupants. Who cares about this BMW & Driver track driving bullshit anyway? I spoke to a buddy who works at BMWs engine development department and he said the 3rd generation 1er (the model replacing THIS car in a few years) will very likely be FWD. The logic behind is that BMW is questioning why they should produce an expensive RWD compact car when 80% of owners thought it was FWD. It shows that people just don't care to much about which wheels are being driven by the engine.

The only two shots I took with. I used my SB-900 on top with a stroboscopic flash for effect testing purposes...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

QuoteWho cares about this BMW & Driver track driving bullshit anyway?

Apparently your family did, as you guys bought one over the treasure trove of better FWD cars available (even the B-Class)

Just like how you complain about cars having too much power when your dad has not one but TWO 300HP plus gasoline Benzes. So if anything you better than anybody understand why people buy the stuff you complain about

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 02, 2011, 07:48:53 AM
Apparently your family did, as you guys bought one over the treasure trove of better FWD cars available (even the B-Class)

Eh, RWD wasn't even a consideration when my sister opted for the 1er. My sister considered a bunch of cars, all of which were FWD (Opel Corsa, Alfa Romeo 147, Renault Megane, MINI Cooper) and only two RWD cars: a used BMW 3er Compact and the BMW 1er 5-Door. In the end the 1er came across as the "best deal" because of the best quality, best build quality and an attractive price from the dealership. RWD had nothing to do with the purchase. In fact my sister has no idea what "RWD" is.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 02, 2011, 07:48:53 AMJust like how you complain about cars having too much power when your dad has not one but TWO 300HP plus gasoline Benzes. So if anything you better than anybody understand why people buy the stuff you complain about

1) The E350 CGI was bought used. It was a good deal because of all the features in it that my dad now is finding out he's never using. My dad would still have bought the car if it was an E220 CDI. It just happened to be an E350 CGI. And I'm not complaining since the gas mileage it delivers is AWESOME.

2) The 500SL is rarely driven these days. It's only registered during the summer months and used for short journeys under 30 km when my dad drives it to a pub for a drink etc. In fact my dad is thinking of selling it. I'm not interested in the car at all. Would I want to keep it? No. I have no use for it. It's a classic in the making but my dad doesn't want to keep up with garage costs. He's owned his dream car, he's had his fun, now he's thinking of selling it and moving on.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

I'm going to need to see this in person before I can say what I really think.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Onslaught on October 02, 2011, 12:35:00 PM

I don't think it will make it across the Atlantic.

The rear and side profile are ok, pretty similar to the current model. The front is the part of the car that just sends shivers down my spine. Ugly.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

I'll have to fly out to German just to look at it then.

Northlands

Quote from: Onslaught on October 02, 2011, 12:35:00 PM

:hesaid:

I don't like the photos, but sometimes it's an entirely different experience in person. I've made the mistake a few times.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

cawimmer430

Well the new 1er actually does look better in the photos.

Except the front. I don't think any photo or seeing it in person can change your mind about the front of that car.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

Quote from: Northlands on October 02, 2011, 03:00:02 PM
:hesaid:

I don't like the photos, but sometimes it's an entirely different experience in person. I've made the mistake a few times.
I couldn't stand the pictures of the RX-8. And then when I saw one I liked it more. I wasn't in love with it but I liked it.
This car could be like that.

sportyaccordy

I hope they use this opportunity to clean up the coupe

Morris Minor

Good God, it looks awful. Looks like BMW's rivals have planted a mole in its design studios.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși