I Love My Car Thread

Started by Colonel Cadillac, June 07, 2011, 11:52:34 PM

BimmerM3

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 12, 2011, 12:32:33 PM
Or just stick it in the passenger seat and have the end stick out of the roof.

That's how I will be carrying my golf club once I get a roadster.

Laconian

Why bother with the upkeep and insurance of an airport car? Just call the towncar service.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 12, 2011, 01:34:11 PM
Why bother with the upkeep and insurance of an airport car? Just call the towncar service.

:huh:

If I get a new car, then decide that I'm not using the Accord enough to keep it, I'll sell it.

ifcar

As a practical second car to a two-seat roadster, it sounds more reasonable than as a car to take only to the airport long-term lot. I think it was just the term "airport car" that was a little unusual.

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 12, 2011, 05:12:22 AM
I love minivans. There's nothing out there that are as versatile ON PAVEMENT.

I have to say, my 2004 minivan is a big improvement over our 1999 minivan which ROCKED compared to our 1992minivan.
(Bought in 2009, 2005, and 2004, respectively.)

Make fun if you want but try putting four adults and 3 kids COMFORTABLY in anything else (and luggage for a week) and still get above 25mpg (highway).
If I didn't have an off-road requirement for our car, we would be in a minivan.  Nobody buys them because they're sexy. They buy them because nothing else on the road comes close to being as useful or versatile.

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on June 12, 2011, 05:42:31 PM
As a practical second car to a two-seat roadster, it sounds more reasonable than as a car to take only to the airport long-term lot. I think it was just the term "airport car" that was a little unusual.

Well, the idea to keep it was born from the thought that I wouldn't want to leave a nicer car at the airport (particularly one with a soft top), and to be honest, I probably wouldn't use it a whole lot other than that (it's not often I have the need for more room than a roadster provides).

There also the chance I might just give it to my step-mom and trade with her when I'm traveling. She's starting to get tired of the insane labor bills to have her Mini worked on (small engine bay FTL).

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2011, 05:56:07 PM
If I didn't have an off-road requirement for our car, we would be in a minivan.  Nobody buys them because they're sexy. They buy them because nothing else on the road comes close to being as useful or versatile.

:wub:

the Teuton

There was a guy who rented Enterprise cars just so he could take them and leave them at the airport for a week during work.

The idea of an airport car is nothing new.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on June 12, 2011, 09:07:30 PM
There was a guy who rented Enterprise cars just so he could take them and leave them at the airport for a week during work.

Thank you.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on June 12, 2011, 09:07:30 PM

Wow. Zillionaire?

hounddog

I realized today that my Durango is much less attractive to me with the lingering, and apparently un-removable, odor of Randys sons puke.

Waiting with baited breath for the new ride. 

I would actually have sex with my neighbors wife if I thought it would get it here faster.  Puke smell just aint cuttin' it for me.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: ifcar on June 13, 2011, 06:20:33 AM
Wow. Zillionaire?
No, I have known people who rent instead of buying. 

Long term renters can negotiate exceptionally good deals.

I think.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

ifcar

Quote from: hounddog on June 14, 2011, 05:42:12 PM
No, I have known people who rent instead of buying. 

Long term renters can negotiate exceptionally good deals.

I think.

Renting a car just to park it at the airport is different from a long-term rental.

JWC

Quote from: hounddog on June 14, 2011, 05:41:29 PM
I realized today that my Durango is much less attractive to me with the lingering, and apparently un-removable, odor of Randys sons puke.

Waiting with baited breath for the new ride. 

I would actually have sex with my neighbors wife if I thought it would get it here faster.  Puke smell just aint cuttin' it for me.

Brown paper bag, two apples...quartered.  Put apples in the bag and the bag under a seat for a day or so.  I had a customer rid his new Cadillac of the odor of spilled fresh shrimp that way.

MrH

Quote from: JWC on June 14, 2011, 06:34:31 PM

Brown paper bag, two apples...quartered.  Put apples in the bag and the bag under a seat for a day or so.  I had a customer rid his new Cadillac of the odor of spilled fresh shrimp that way.

Interesting technique.  Try it out hounddog, let us know how it goes.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

I prefer my technique of pouring a cup of molasses on top of dog feces, then setting the whole thing on fire. Good old fashioned home remedies never fail!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

:lol:

I will say, as frustrating as the suspension and insufferable squeeks and rattles are, I just fall in love with the miata all over again nearly everyday.  Gorgeous day.  Mid 70's, humidity at bearable levels.  I was coming home from practice, exhausted, sun setting.  Had the jams blasting, top down.  Muted the stereo as I hit my favorite on ramp.  It's recessed, as the highway is above the road you're entering from.  So as you accelerate, the exhaust bounces off the concrete walls as you rise in elevation to the highway.

Nothing is better than power sliding up that ramp in 2nd gear, hitting redline and shifting to third, all while the little 2.0 is giving all it's got.  It's a level of enjoyment I don't really find doing anything else.  It's one of the few times where I'm not thinking about anything else, and just really enjoying the moment.  There are few things in life that really make me just sit back and soak in what's going on around me.  That's one of them.  It's something simple that puts a smile on my face every time.  Hell, half the time I laugh to myself as I'm doing it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV