2012 ZR1 with pilot cup tires takes on the Ring

Started by 565, June 11, 2011, 08:57:45 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKb6iSWc0k

Man the new Corvettes just keeps getting better and better tires.  First the PS2 ZP, and then the SC G:2, and now the specially developed pilot cups.  I wish some of these would come out in C5 Z06 sizes,  I'm down to just 3 tire choices,  outdated SCs, outdated PS2s, or bridgestones... :frown:

sportyaccordy

Watched this before, very nice

Didn't look out of control like on BMI, which on the Ring is really saying something

But, how much of it is the tires vs improvements on the car... or is it just impossible to set up a chassis to handle 600+ HP on somewhat regular performance tires

To me lap times on a street car in tires that are "advised against" in wet conditions don't really count. But I don't know what the deal is w/these tires, just a general opinion.

S204STi

Just friggin' amazing... that car is showroom stock, too, including alignment, trim height, etc. other than safety gear.

SVT666

I watched this two days ago.  Quite impressive.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on August 07, 2011, 10:31:28 PM
That's only 3 seconds faster for pretty much the exact same car with 133 more horsepower.

The ZR1 weighs about 200lbs more, but also that extra 133hp I'm sure makes it more tricky to drive.
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 68_427 on August 07, 2011, 10:41:31 PM
The ZR1 weighs about 200lbs more, but also that extra 133hp I'm sure makes it more tricky to drive.

You would be correct sir. The ZR1 is quite a handful at times to drive.  The Z06 is FAR easier for a novice to handle.

68_427

Quote from: Schadenfreude on August 10, 2011, 10:57:13 PM
You would be correct sir. The ZR1 is quite a handful at times to drive.  The Z06 is FAR easier for a novice to handle.

Come on man, spill the beans.  What's the exact horsepower of the ZL1, and what are the engine options for the ATS and XTS?

PM me if it's classified.  :lol:
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Not like all of that's particularly hard to figure out.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

What I want to know is when the C7 Vette will drop.

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 10, 2011, 11:08:37 PM
Not like all of that's particularly hard to figure out.

Orly?

Tell me then, since you found it so easily.  I'd also like the know the specs of the Gen V engines.
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: 68_427 on August 10, 2011, 11:18:07 PM
Orly?

Tell me then, since you found it so easily.  I'd also like the know the specs of the Gen V engines.

Rumor has it (none of this came from work) that the XTS will have a 3.6 liter engine and a plug-in option for the upgrade engine. The ATS is likely going to have a base turbo Ecotec and an up engine of the 3.6. No one's even mentioned the V yet, but I'm going to bet (me, personally) it's going to have the turbo 3.6 or a new powerplant for the V model.

It's all speculation, but it's likely the XTS will not have a V8 option at this point.

the Teuton

68_427

I wonder how long the Gen IV's will stay after the Gen V's are released, for example in cars like the ZL1, CTS-V, ZR1?
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

Quote from: 68_427 on August 10, 2011, 11:30:09 PM
I wonder how long the Gen IV's will stay after the Gen V's are released, for example in cars like the ZL1, CTS-V, ZR1?

I get the feeling you will find that out shortly. My guess is not too long.

GM is downsizing the whole drivetrain lineup.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 12:05:23 AM
I get the feeling you will find that out shortly. My guess is not too long.

GM is downsizing the whole drivetrain lineup.
Simplifying, or reducing displacement/cylinder count?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on August 11, 2011, 12:19:35 AM
Simplifying, or reducing displacement/cylinder count?

The Gen V is dropping to 5.5 liters from 6.2. It's going to be one powerhouse of a motor, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo/supercharged version for both the Z06 and ZR1 models if they come out.

But I really have no clue about the Corvette. None at all. I'm not even going to pretend I do other than the engine size. It may even get a V6.

68_427

I was pretty sure the 5.5L displacement was just for racing, and that the engines were going to keep the existing displacements.
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 12:21:54 AM
The Gen V is dropping to 5.5 liters from 6.2. It's going to be one powerhouse of a motor, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo/supercharged version for both the Z06 and ZR1 models if they come out.

But I really have no clue about the Corvette. None at all. I'm not even going to pretend I do other than the engine size. It may even get a V6.

Pretty sure it was confirmed no V6, but people that have seen and heard the C7 chassis mules have stated the exhaust note is "Ferrari-like" but the current LS engines will sound high strung with little modifications.
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

I'm going to be so giddy when that car comes out. The split window idea is retarded, and I hope it doesn't make a comeback.

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 12:28:20 AM
I'm going to be so giddy when that car comes out. The split window idea is retarded, and I hope it doesn't make a comeback.

The external dimensions are supposed to be smaller, but passenger room should stay the same, but have a world class interior.

QuoteThere has been an ongoing debate as to whether the next-generation Corvette would switch to a mid-engine layout, but our spy photographers have just sent us the first images confirming the C7 will be retaining its classic configuration.

Although seen here as an early mule, these first C7 spy shots clearly show the Corvette will be sticking to its tried and true front-engine, rear drive formula. However, it appears as though the C7 will be shrinking in size compared to the C6, as illustrated by the ?tucked in? wheels visible on this test mule.

Outback a set of evenly-spaced quad exhaust pipes are in clear view, reminiscent of the Corvette Stingray Concept. Our spies described the Vette?s engine note as Ferrari-like, with those sounds thought to be provided by an all-new 5.5L V8 developing 440 horsepower in base form.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-corvette-2014.html

I still can't trust that the displacements are going to change until we get the facts from GM.  Sadly they are expected to be heavier than the current ones due to VVT, DI, etc.

'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

All I've heard is that it will have a front mid engine layout (the current one does, too, but no one ever mentions that fact).

It's going to be interesting to see with the 911 getting a good 3 or 4 inches bigger.

Colonel Cadillac

Never trust anyone from GM who says an upcoming car will have a "world class interior." I bet it will, but I remember reading exactly that when the C6 came out.

Colonel Cadillac

I wonder if GM would ever think about aluminum for Cadillac.

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on August 10, 2011, 11:27:24 PM
Rumor has it (none of this came from work) that the XTS will have a 3.6 liter engine and a plug-in option for the upgrade engine. The ATS is likely going to have a base turbo Ecotec and an up engine of the 3.6. No one's even mentioned the V yet, but I'm going to bet (me, personally) it's going to have the turbo 3.6 or a new powerplant for the V model.

It's all speculation, but it's likely the XTS will not have a V8 option at this point.

Problem is GM does not have a luxury car-worthy V8 in the stable, nor under development...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 11, 2011, 01:04:51 AM
I wonder if GM would ever think about aluminum for Cadillac.

They have before, if only in limited numbers

(1979 Devilles and Fleetwoods sold in California had aluminum hoods)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator