A friend of mine...

Started by Klackamas, June 13, 2011, 08:31:56 PM

Klackamas

told me tonight that he's been driving for the better part of his life with the left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. He's 65.

Is this common?

I remember when I was learning in the late 1980's, it was taboo to use anything but your right foot for both pedals. You would be slapped, much like writing with your left hand, for anything else.

What say you?  Is he f'd up, or am I?
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

The Pirate

Right for both was the way I (and most people I know) was taught, and practice.  Four out the five cars that I've owned (and both that I currently own) have been manual transmission though, so the left foot is busy with other tasks.  I'm a right foot for both guy even when driving automatic though. 

One of the bad parts of left foot braking is said drivers have a tendency to hover that foot over the brake pedal, if not outright applying it, however lightly, when driving.  This certainly causes unnecessary wear, and the ensuing constantly flashing brake lights infuriating us drivers behind.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Cookie Monster

I never do that unless I'm trying to haul ass on twisty roads. :huh:

Still not used to trying to hit the smaller brake pedal in a manual transmission car though... I end up missing or stomping on both the clutch and the brake.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

My mother learned to drive left-foot braking, and had to unlearn it to learn to drive a manual.

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on June 13, 2011, 08:39:21 PM

Still not used to trying to hit the smaller brake pedal in a manual transmission car though... I end up missing or stomping on both the clutch and the brake.

You suck.

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on June 13, 2011, 08:39:21 PM

:confused: :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

I was always taught that your left foot should only be used for the clutch pedal.  That said, left foot braking does have its place, mostly on the race track.  I've dabbled with using my left foot for the brake on the street just to try to get the hang of modulating the brake pedal with my left foot (in hopes that I might adapt it to the track).  I'm so used to clutching with my left foot that I tend to stomp on the brake pedal like it's a clutch pedal.  Oddly, I never seem to have that problem when driving a kart where the brake is controlled by the left foot.  But driving a manual, dedicating your left foot to the brake isn't really possible.  And perhaps this is the reason people are taught that you should only use your right foot for the brake and throttle.  In the days before automatic transmissions were the norm, you had to use your right foot on the brake in many situations while your left worked the clutch.

I suppose that on the street, having your left foot covering the brake may give you some degree of reaction time advantage, since you don't need to lift your foot off of the accelerator, move it over and then depress the brake.  You can just press down with your left foot while lifting your right.  That said, leaving your left foot covering the brake can cause you to ride the brakes, which causes premature brake wear (likewise resting your left foot on the clutch pedal can result in premature clutch wear if you're actually pressing down on the pedal).  I've seen a number of people accelerate away from a traffic light and their brake lights never turn off, which means they're either riding the brake pedal with their left foot or their right foot is pressing on both pedals.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

LFB FTW!
Makes FWD more fun.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Klackamas

Quote from: MX793 on June 13, 2011, 08:44:44 PM
I was always taught that your left foot should only be used for the clutch pedal.  That said, left foot braking does have its place, mostly on the race track.  I've dabbled with using my left foot for the brake on the street just to try to get the hang of modulating the brake pedal with my left foot (in hopes that I might adapt it to the track).  I'm so used to clutching with my left foot that I tend to stomp on the brake pedal like it's a clutch pedal.  Oddly, I never seem to have that problem when driving a kart where the brake is controlled by the left foot.  But driving a manual, dedicating your left foot to the brake isn't really possible.  And perhaps this is the reason people are taught that you should only use your right foot for the brake and throttle.  In the days before automatic transmissions were the norm, you had to use your right foot on the brake in many situations while your left worked the clutch.

I suppose that on the street, having your left foot covering the brake may give you some degree of reaction time advantage, since you don't need to lift your foot off of the accelerator, move it over and then depress the brake.  You can just press down with your left foot while lifting your right.  That said, leaving your left foot covering the brake can cause you to ride the brakes, which causes premature brake wear (likewise resting your left foot on the clutch pedal can result in premature clutch wear if you're actually pressing down on the pedal).  I've seen a number of people accelerate away from a traffic light and their brake lights never turn off, which means they're either riding the brake pedal with their left foot or their right foot is pressing on both pedals.

O KAY. I should have specified and automatic transamission!  :lol:  But that said, even with a manual, my right foot approaches the brake pedal.

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

S204STi

Disadvantages of resting your left foot on the brake pedal:  as mentioned, brake wear is accelerated.  In fact I remember a blue hair beauty who used to come in every year with brakes wiped out and the plastic wheel covers scorched...  ; also, your brake lamps may constantly be flickering or on at all times, seriously confusing other drivers.

sportyaccordy

I feel like a lot of gypsy cab drivers use LFB

On the highways w/no cars ahead of them they are constantly jabbing the brakes. I don't know where these guys learned to drive but we need to stop accepting drivers from there

Minpin

My mom does the left foot brake, as well as her parents. She says thats just the way she was taught. 50 and no accidents, so obviously it works for her.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Laconian

I saw a Cadillac SRX moving in traffic the other day, accelerating even, with the CHMSL illuminated. I was thinking "WHY THE HELL IS YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE WHEN YOU ARE ACCELERATING???!" Drove me batty!

I finally got a chance to zip ahead and check, and it was an attractive blonde in her early 30s. Either she was out to lunch during driver's ed, or she's from another country.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

If it works, it works, but it's terrible form, as far as I am concerned.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Colin

Many rally drivers are skilled in left foot braking techniques.