2o6's review: Cruze vs Focus

Started by 2o6, June 20, 2011, 01:39:25 PM

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on June 20, 2011, 11:55:33 PM
Like i said, suspension tuning is different on the cars with 17" wheels.  The ride was very nice.  Too nice in fact.

Most reviews also say that the ride in general is rougher than other cars in it's class.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ifcar on June 21, 2011, 12:20:05 AM
I've ridden in the back of first-gen Focuses, no problem. If you don't fit, you don't fit in an old Elantra or Civic either.
Yea I was gonna say, I rented the "2nd" gen various times and it was roomy enough to me

Much better than say, an MKIV Jetta for example. I'm sure the new Focus is fine.

Cars in general are roomy as hell now, the damn Versa felt roomier than my old Maxima. Midsizers are unnecessarily huge IMO, a C-segment car w/a flat floor + legit width to hold 3 adults in the back is all the avg Joe needs.

I really want the Focus to be good, I would love for my gf to get a used hatch when we move so I can get a full on sports car. I hear the DSG is problematic though :(

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 21, 2011, 09:12:43 AM
Yea I was gonna say, I rented the "2nd" gen various times and it was roomy enough to me

Much better than say, an MKIV Jetta for example. I'm sure the new Focus is fine.

Jetta V by contrast is rather cavernous. The new Focus isn't terrible, but it's not as roomy as it should be.

2o6

I want the Focus to be good, I would love for my gf to get the hatch when we move so I can get a full on sports car.

The Focus is a very good car. Stylish, well built and fun to drive.

But if it were my money, and only these cars, I would take the Cruze. MPG's are excellent, and the interior is top-notch. It also is really comfortable.

Realistically, I would save a lot of coin, and go for the Mini Cooper I drove the same day.

2o6

Cars in general are roomy as hell now, the damn Versa felt roomier than my old Maxima. Midsizers are unnecessarily huge IMO, a C-segment car w/a flat floor + legit width to hold 3 adults in the back is all the avg Joe needs.

The Versa is unnaturally roomy for what it is.....interior space puts it actually classified as a midsize car.

sportyaccordy

Sorry for the wild edits.

Mini Cooper is nice, but essentially a 2 seater. Even the Clubman is laughably cramped in the rear, esp for a $35K car. The Mini Coupe actually makes the most sense out of the whole lineup (aside from cost). I don't like Minis.

Cruze is essentially a midsizer for compact money. Good size, interesting powertrains, not bad I guess. But I would need one with more power. It's big enough to warrant a legit larger engine, like the Cobalt SS 2.0T or even a V6. Def needs something to compete with the Focus ST. The low power levels in this segment keep me uninterested, and I know the engines are highly tuned so it's not like there is untapped power in them.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 21, 2011, 09:23:57 AM

Cruze is essentially a midsizer for compact money. Good size, interesting powertrains, not bad I guess. But I would need one with more power. It's big enough to warrant a legit larger engine, like the Cobalt SS 2.0T or even a V6. Def needs something to compete with the Focus ST. The low power levels in this segment keep me uninterested, and I know the engines are highly tuned so it's not like there is untapped power in them.

People buy these cars for economy. Larger engines never really do all that well in the market.

Even so, most of these engines have a lot of potential. IIRC, there are people that are flashing their ECU's on 1.4T cars and upping the boost slightly and getting over 200HP from the small 1.4L.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 21, 2011, 09:23:57 AM
Sorry for the wild edits.

Mini Cooper is nice, but essentially a 2 seater. Even the Clubman is laughably cramped in the rear, esp for a $35K car. The Mini Coupe actually makes the most sense out of the whole lineup (aside from cost). I don't like Minis.

It's more usable than you think. I could fit back there. Would I sit back there for an extended amount of time? NO.

You sound like me before I drove one. You really have to drive the car to really appreciate the performance and idea behind it.

(I drove a 1st gen, 115HP 5MT Cooper)