VW Golf .:R

Started by MrH, June 29, 2011, 10:33:33 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on June 30, 2011, 06:59:19 PM
I wasn't saying your accord was slow, I was saying a 15 sec 1/4 is not fast and has not been for a long time. The accord has decent performance. With stick shift it can break into the 14s on a good day but the bar has moved also, 13 sec cars can be had for the low 20s.
20 yrs ago people said 6 sec 0-60 cars were unusable, 10 yrs ago it was 5 sec cars and now it is 4 sec cars. I see no trouble exploiting a 4 sec car with a few traffic light digs or hammering it onto the freeway. Suspension tuning and tires as well as a myriad of other advancements makes it possible to do just fine.

The civic si is about as slow as any performance claiming car can get, its like a fat guy comparing himself favorably to the fattest guy on "World's Biggest Loser". At the end of the day this is the truth about the GTI that no amount of refinement will fix

The point is the 7th-gen V6 Accord is a fair amount more performance oriented than average and even more so amongst 'SPINners.

Nah, 20 years ago no one said that about 0-60 in 6 sec range.

Sure the cars have gotten but what hasn't gotten better is the roads, reaction times, the general populace's driving acumen, and conducive laws.

Nah, there's no "fix" needed for the GTI after you've ridden a some miles in a MS3 or WRX.

hotrodalex

The Accord can post good numbers, but that's it. A Miata and other sports car will also be more fun to drive. My El Camino will always be more fun to drive. An Alfa Romeo spider will always be more fun to drive, even if it takes 10 seconds to get to 60 mph.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 30, 2011, 11:38:41 PM
The Accord can post good numbers, but that's it. A Miata and other sports car will also be more fun to drive. My El Camino will always be more fun to drive. An Alfa Romeo spider will always be more fun to drive, even if it takes 10 seconds to get to 60 mph.

Shut up. Camcords are the ultimate in performance. Your opinion of fun is irrelevent. Camcord.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on June 30, 2011, 04:56:56 PM
So, not as much power as an MS3 for $10k more... No thanks.
There's more to cars than power. Especially when the car in question can't put down the stock power it makes. MS3 does the quarter in like the mid 14s and traps in the low to mid 100s :wtf: Plus its OK for a compact but a little crude as a "premium" compact. I'd rather wait for the Focus ST TBH

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 30, 2011, 11:38:41 PM

We've been here many times before - 100% depends on the person what is "fun." For example I've driven many many many miles in El Camino-type cars (BoF, leaf springs, drum brakes, solid rear axle, carb, etc.) and I easily conclude a V6 Accord is more fun to drive - for performance and especially as a daily driver.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 30, 2011, 10:52:49 AM
What's the purpose of a Golf R, versus the new A3 sedan?

When both cars are in the shop because of some electrical problem, the Audi dealership serves the better coffee.

So if you're smart, you'll go for the Audi.

:devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Good question :popcorn:

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on July 01, 2011, 09:57:20 AM
We've been here many times before - 100% depends on the person what is "fun." For example I've driven many many many miles in El Camino-type cars (BoF, leaf springs, drum brakes, solid rear axle, carb, etc.) and I easily conclude a V6 Accord is more fun to drive - for performance and especially as a daily driver.

No leaf springs, disk brakes up front.  :tounge:

And considering I could have gotten any other car I wanted, obviously I picked an older, fun car for a reason. Much better than a boring, plain-jane Accord.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2011, 11:12:21 PM
The point is the 7th-gen V6 Accord is a fair amount more performance oriented than average and even more so amongst 'SPINners.

Nah, 20 years ago no one said that about 0-60 in 6 sec range.

Sure the cars have gotten but what hasn't gotten better is the roads, reaction times, the general populace's driving acumen, and conducive laws.

Nah, there's no "fix" needed for the GTI after you've ridden a some miles in a MS3 or WRX.

Of course people said the same exact thing about a 225 hp mustang 5.0 or 245 hp firebird 20 years ago, it has too much power for a young driver, why would anybody need so much power, etc. Remember this was a time when a honda accord (late 80s) had a 120 hp engine as top dog.

The problem with the performance cars of the hatch variety (GTI/Si) is that regular cars and trucks are just as fast if not faster. A 6.2 liter F-150 or 5.7 liter tundra will out-accelerate many of them. Then there are camrys and accords that would just smoke them. Of course, the turns would be a different story, but how many times will you be taking a turn on the street at speeds where the GTI can do it but the accord couldn't.

The question about he GTI/R is, after your run in with one, would you still plunk your money down and buy one, your original post didn't sound like you would.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 01, 2011, 12:52:20 PM
No leaf springs, disk brakes up front.  :tounge:

And considering I could have gotten any other car I wanted, obviously I picked an older, fun car for a reason. Much better than a boring, plain-jane Accord.

So you're bragging about being spoiled now? Are you sure that's a good way to go about it? And doesn't it bother you you dump on a car that would make your El Camino cry for its momma?

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on July 01, 2011, 08:30:51 PM
So you're bragging about being spoiled now? Are you sure that's a good way to go about it? And doesn't it bother you you dump on a car that would make your El Camino cry for its momma?

I don't think anyone cares.

Quote from: SVT32V on July 01, 2011, 03:31:36 PM

The problem with the performance cars of the hatch variety (GTI/Si) is that regular cars and trucks are just as fast if not faster. A 6.2 liter F-150 or 5.7 liter tundra will out-accelerate many of them. Then there are camrys and accords that would just smoke them. Of course, the turns would be a different story, but how many times will you be taking a turn on the street at speeds where the GTI can do it but the accord couldn't.

Of the same token, how often will you use all those ponies? To me, I'd rather have an 80HP tossable little something or other over a big honking V8 or V6 in some plebeian midsizer.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT32V on July 01, 2011, 03:31:36 PM
Of course people said the same exact thing about a 225 hp mustang 5.0 or 245 hp firebird 20 years ago, it has too much power for a young driver, why would anybody need so much power, etc. Remember this was a time when a honda accord (late 80s) had a 120 hp engine as top dog.

The question about he GTI/R is, after your run in with one, would you still plunk your money down and buy one, your original post didn't sound like you would.

Nah, again no one ever said an old-school 5.0 was too much power for the street; IMO your attempt to change the premise to the context of a "young" driver points to that.

Depends what your "performance" definition is. No pickup or V6 Camcord "smokes" a GTI. At best there is parity. The GTI I could go for (but would REALLY have to think about VW's poor reliability track record) as after all it's only a $25k car. I would want my next car to be quicker than the Accordian but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on July 01, 2011, 08:44:20 PM
I don't think anyone cares.

Certainly seemed like it given how much some of you turkeys troll on this topic...

And really, your Focus comment took the cake. C'mon, man.

sportyaccordy

Cougs u made the Accordian issue when u claimed victory over that A4, decrying it a "posermobileh for thosr ptojecting wealt" or w/e u called it.

The irony of u now seriosuly considering a GTI (aka an A3 Lite) now has not been lost, at least not on me

But anyone w/an opinion here has had their fair share of faux pas. So its w/e. We're all family here

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on July 01, 2011, 08:30:51 PM

Doesn't it bother you when I can cruise down main street and pick 10 times as many chicks as you in your Accordian? :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 01, 2011, 09:56:32 PM
Doesn't it bother you when I can cruise down main street and pick 10 times as many chicks as you in your Accordian? :lol:

Dude. 10 * 0 = 0
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 01, 2011, 09:37:42 PM
Cougs u made the Accordian issue when u claimed victory over that A4, decrying it a "posermobileh for thosr ptojecting wealt" or w/e u called it.

The irony of u now seriosuly considering a GTI (aka an A3 Lite) now has not been lost, at least not on me

But anyone w/an opinion here has had their fair share of faux pas. So its w/e. We're all family here

I feel compelled to point out that first portion is the 4th biggest FailPost of your entire 'SPIN career, "family" notwithstanding.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 01, 2011, 09:56:32 PM

:lol:  Please post some pics of all those El Camino-begotten tail...

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on July 03, 2011, 06:04:19 PM
:lol:  Please post some pics of all those El Camino-begotten tail...

If you insist. Here's a few:

This is Megan. Picked her up while at the shop. She's a mechanic; working on a 70's Camaro in this picture.

This chick has her own El Camino, so she loved mine.

Then there are these three  :winkguy:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BENZ BOY15

dazzleman

Nice, Alex.  Do you expect to dip your wick into any if them?  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

hotrodalex

So where are the pics of all the chicas you've picked up in your Accord, Cougs?  :evildude:

Xer0

If you have to resort to the "my car can pick up more chicks then you" then Cougs already won this.  It's a pathetic point to bring up that defers all judgment to someone that is essentially a gold digger.  Congrats.

cawimmer430

One of them passed me yesterday. He was coming towards me on the opposite side of the road.

Looked exactly like this.

What a seriously hot smoking ride.  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

hotrodalex

Quote from: Xer0 on July 07, 2011, 09:40:53 AM
If you have to resort to the "my car can pick up more chicks then you" then Cougs already won this.  It's a pathetic point to bring up that defers all judgment to someone that is essentially a gold digger.  Congrats.

Except I wasn't serious. ;)

Xer0

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 07, 2011, 08:49:42 PM
Except I wasn't serious. ;)

First post?  Okay.
Second post?  Fine, the girls were hot.
Third post bait?  If you weren't 'serious' before you're pretty much there now.

GoCougs

Yeah, he was serious until the point it didn't really make a lot of sense. Not a big deal. But the constant haranguing of the Accord is a real head shaker though, however it's done...

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 29, 2011, 01:30:58 PM
$34K in 2011 $'s for what you get sounds reasonable. I still can't warm up to an AWD car for non-snow driving but if you want that it should be fine.

Something to consider though... a 128i w/the M-Sport package will cost about the same, prob won't be much slower or less practical, and I imagine will have a handling balance more suited to your standards. Plus w/BMW switching to the turbo 4s the 1 with the N52 is IMO kind of a collector's item.

Haha, I'll eat my tie the day a 128i becomes a collector's item.  No one gives a shit about the death of the archaic I6 but you. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

It's interesting how much VAG's products run together.

One is a hatch, the other is a sedan. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.