VW Golf .:R

Started by MrH, June 29, 2011, 10:33:33 AM

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on June 30, 2011, 01:23:25 PM
My only point was acceleration (and the 7th gen V6 is more like a mid/high 14 sec. car). And the GTI ain't as small as it looks - sure it's no trunk but much the rest of the size specs - height, width, and F/R passenger room are similar to the 7th-gen Accord.

If you must make a direct comparison, a good proxy is the 2006 C&D comparo wherein the 7th-gen Accord came in second only to the Jetta GLI (essentially a GTI w/trunk; the 2010+ GTI is merely a face-lifted version of that GTI) beating out anything from the TSX to the Mazdaspeed6.

Also note the Accord was shod with small-ish all season rubber whereas the GLI was shod with an 18" low profile summer performance tire. In that test put the GLI's rubber on the Accord and strip away the "gotta have it" factor and the Accord finishes first. Does this say the 7th-gen Accord would beat a 2010+ GTI in a comparo? Not necessarily, but logic dictates my point with efficiency.

TL;DR - the 7th-gen Accord is a very good performing car in all respects; better than average in general and FAR better than average for the 'SPIN. If you disagree, you're simply ignorant.

I love that comparison.  It was one of the reasons I fell for the GLI and ended up buying the Wolfsburg, which is essentially the same car as the GLI. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on June 30, 2011, 04:11:01 PM
The $34K price tag makes me wonder about it.  When a $28k Subaru can have more or less the same shit, same power, and probably still outrun it...

Have you been in a Subaru?  It's 28K because the engine costs 27K and they spent the leftovers on the rest.  I'm not really a luxury guy, but the difference between the feel of quality between a Subaru and comparable Volkswagen is huge.  If that matters to you, then the VW is the clear choice.  If it doesn't, then the Subaru might be the better way to go. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on July 01, 2011, 08:44:35 PM
Nah, again no one ever said an old-school 5.0 was too much power for the street; IMO your attempt to change the premise to the context of a "young" driver points to that.

Depends what your "performance" definition is. No pickup or V6 Camcord "smokes" a GTI. At best there is parity. The GTI I could go for (but would REALLY have to think about VW's poor reliability track record) as after all it's only a $25k car. I would want my next car to be quicker than the Accordian but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

I've gone up against Accords before, and they really make me push it.  A lot of normal cars I can walk without breaking a sweat, but once V6 Accords and Camrys show up, I do have to work for it.  They're close enough that it could come down to the driver, assuming that the driver of the Accord doesn't have an automatic.  I had an Accord V6 try to chase me down on the highway once.  I couldn't get away, but at the same time, the driver of the Accord couldn't quite catch me either. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 07, 2011, 09:44:44 AM
One of them passed me yesterday. He was coming towards me on the opposite side of the road.

Looked exactly like this.

What a seriously hot smoking ride.  :mrcool:

Yeah, if I replace the Jetta with a new car (I likely won't) and it comes with a stick in the US (it likely won't), I'll have to seriously consider it.  It's one of the last current Volkswagens that interests me. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

some lady in a Toyota Sienna made the me work to stay ahead while merging on the freeway onramp this morning. Caddy was but a few tenths away from utter shame :mask:

hotrodalex

Quote from: Xer0 on July 08, 2011, 09:23:04 AM
First post?  Okay.
Second post?  Fine, the girls were hot.
Third post bait?  If you weren't 'serious' before you're pretty much there now.

First post: dumb comment to mess with Cougs because it's pointless to argue with him.
Second post: fake girls found on the Internet (considering the first is Megan Fox...) to mess with Cougs more. (posting actual girls would be pretty creepy, anyway)
Third post: I just wanted to see what Cougs would do.

Quote from: GoCougs on July 08, 2011, 12:23:47 PM
Yeah, he was serious until the point it didn't really make a lot of sense. Not a big deal. But the constant haranguing of the Accord is a real head shaker though, however it's done...

I'll give you crap about an Accord all day long until you realize it's an every day mommy-mobile. Nothing special about it, yet you act like it's the best car on the site.