How much should I pay for this?

Started by 2o6, July 15, 2011, 10:44:51 AM

Laconian

Don't do it, 2o6 of Focus Past! He'll screw it up!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

And it's broken again. I think I need new drums, or the ones I have turned. Break squeal and weak parking brake.

Eye of the Tiger

You're talking about a timing belt, and now your brakes are broken. Let them squeal for a while, then upgrade to discs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Speed_Racer

You can tighten the parking brake cable yourself. I'm not sure about the Focus, but other cars you just adjust it from the parking brake lever. You may need to pull some trim to get at it. The cable has probably just stretched since you had it installed.

2o6

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 29, 2011, 10:49:15 AM
You can tighten the parking brake cable yourself. I'm not sure about the Focus, but other cars you just adjust it from the parking brake lever. You may need to pull some trim to get at it. The cable has probably just stretched since you had it installed.

It's still weak.

S204STi

With rear drums like yours, they have to be properly adjusted to begin with before you even start to touch the adjustment on the cable.  I bet you have some sort of issue back there.

2o6

Which means that nothing was done right the second time?

S204STi

S204STi

More like, there is something going on that the tech missed.

2o6

I'm tempted to just start over with new drums, shoes and the hardware.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 29, 2011, 07:53:33 PM
I'm tempted to just start over with new drums, shoes and the hardware.

And bearings, eh? Do it. Have nice brakes.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Rupert

SVT brakes. Shit, you have the boing-y bits.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on October 29, 2011, 10:18:23 PM
SVT brakes. Shit, you have the boing-y bits.

He'd have to upgrade the front brakes too, and probably the master cylinder too. It would be a waste of money. He'll never overheat the stock brakes anyway.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 30, 2011, 05:43:51 PM
He'd have to upgrade the front brakes too, and probably the master cylinder too. It would be a waste of money. He'll never overheat the stock brakes anyway.

+1.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 30, 2011, 05:43:51 PM

The focus might be a little lighter than the contour (if any), but I cooked the brakes a couple of times on my old car...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna