My comparison: Midsize/large crossovers

Started by ifcar, July 25, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

Atomic

^i really like the durango shown above. aside from the chrome grille, there is not more "bling", in my opinion, like on the cadillac escalade or lincoln navigator. these too large SUVs probably have a different client base than the durango and even jeep's GC.

Atomic

i am a bit lazy this sunday to google... but i am wondering if the durango R/T appear as a 2011 or will it introduced as a '12 variant?

Atomic

curiosity finally got the best of me. the dodge website shows that there is indeed a 2011 dodge durango R/T and holy sh*t! it looks incredibly hot and sexy in red and it is monochromatic. check it out below...

http://www.dodge.com/en/2011/durango/index.html  :wub:

you must first click on the figure of the R/T truck symbol... you will see it when skimming the choice of durango icons not immediate recognizable by trim level.

Atomic

i see to recall seeing what was identified as spy mule of a current generation dodge durango SRT-8; therefore, surprised when it was announced that chrysler-jeep, dodge-ram and fiat was "only" coming out with the following SRT-8 models for 2012: jeep grand cherokee, dodge charger (the challenger SRT-8 is available as a 2011) and chrysler 300. it was already announced that the 2013 dodge viper will include a version carrying the "SRT" upon arrival in 2012 -- the projected year of intro.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25354.msg1563411#msg1563411 date=1313253946
The Flex isn't included in the cars I mentioned and the Durango is awful.  Blingy grille, amorphous everything else.  
The Durango's blingy grille is only on the Citadel.  Every other trim level gets chrome crosshairs , but the rest of it is blacked out.

My problem with it is how low the front bumper is.  Going off road is going to be expensive.

Atomic

SVT666, isn't the jeep GC build to accommodate rougher terrains than the dodge. also, some of the pics i have seen of the dodge durango are RWD (opposed to AWD/4X4) versions, i think anyone. could this be the case?

68_427

Maybe the Grand Wagoneer will be better for off road.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on August 16, 2011, 01:09:36 PM
Maybe the Grand Wagoneer will be better for off road.

hmm... that would be interesting. i am thinking, since it will accommodate more people, it might be a great boulevard cruiser. however, it could be better off road, thinking of outings to the cabin, treks up hilly, rocky terrain and jeep trenches.

SVT666

Quote from: Atomic on August 16, 2011, 01:06:35 PM
SVT666, isn't the jeep GC build to accommodate rougher terrains than the dodge. also, some of the pics i have seen of the dodge durango are RWD (opposed to AWD/4X4) versions, i think anyone. could this be the case?
Only seats 5 though.  The Durango comes in 4x4 or AWD and you can also get a skid plate package for it.

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on August 16, 2011, 01:30:02 PM
Only seats 5 though.  The Durango comes in 4x4 or AWD and you can also get a skid plate package for it.

ahh... that's right! three rows only... thanks

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on August 16, 2011, 01:30:02 PM

Skid plates are good, but as you said the clearance isn't. Plus it doesn't have the better drive systems of the GC nor the adjustable ride height. I doubt the durango is meant to be a serious off-roader.

I am not sure it is a crossover, but it won't hold a candle to the GC either, even if it is on the same chassis.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on August 16, 2011, 02:14:20 PM
Skid plates are good, but as you said the clearance isn't. Plus it doesn't have the better drive systems of the GC nor the adjustable ride height. I doubt the durango is meant to be a serious off-roader.

I am not sure it is a crossover, but it won't hold a candle to the GC either, even if it is on the same chassis.

I would have to see what the Grand Wagoneer looks, but the Durango is my first choice right now.

SVT32V

Quote from: SVT666 on August 16, 2011, 03:30:32 PM
I would have to see what the Grand Wagoneer looks, but the Durango is my first choice right now.

The grand wagoneer will probably be more expensive but have more capability (locking diffs etc.). The durango with 4wd (i.e., low speed transfer case) will probably be as good or better than your explorer off road, especially if equipped with skid plates, which to my knowledge were not even an option on the eddie bauer model explorer.

The durango will no doubt handle on road much better than the explorer and if you wait for the better transmission, much peppier with better mpg.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on August 16, 2011, 03:44:40 PM
The grand wagoneer will probably be more expensive but have more capability (locking diffs etc.). The durango with 4wd (i.e., low speed transfer case) will probably be as good or better than your explorer off road, especially if equipped with skid plates, which to my knowledge were not even an option on the eddie bauer model explorer.

The durango will no doubt handle on road much better than the explorer and if you wait for the better transmission, much peppier with better mpg.

My Explorer is actually pretty good offroad.  With the Independent suspension, it has more ground clearance than the solid axle Explorers.  I also stuffed larger tires than stock on our truck and it does a commendable job off road.  Now, I don't have any skid plates though so I am very careful.  

The Explorer is narrower and shorter than the Durango and has slightly more ground clearance and an exceptionally tight turning radius, so I don't know if it would be any better off-road.  The on-road performance is definitely light years better though.

r0tor

Not sure about the durango, but on the JGC the front airdam is removable... Only like 6 clips are holding it on and instructions are in the owners manual on how to remove it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

Quote from: r0tor on August 17, 2011, 05:44:31 AM
Not sure about the durango, but on the JGC the front airdam is removable... Only like 6 clips are holding it on and instructions are in the owners manual on how to remove it

are there any laws or inspection issues as to removing a front air-dam? never though about it in regards to a newer, luxurious SUV/crossover. another point: i don't think i would take my new durango, JGC, explorer or other new 'ute/x-over too deep into the trenches. a rugged jeep wrangler or wrangler unlimited? u bet  :ohyeah:

ifcar

Third place: Ford Explorer

QuoteTwo decades ago, the 1991 Ford Explorer brought a new level of ride and handling to the midsize SUV class. This popular model stood out from competitors that were designed for utility first, on-road comfort second.

Today, nearly every SUV follows the Explorer model, with most taking an even further step away from heavy-duty off-road and towing abilities. But with standards higher than ever, the redesigned 2011 Explorer has regained the ride and handling lead; car-based for the first time in its history, it stands among the class's best for composure both in curves and in a straight line.

But two issues keep the Explorer from taking first place: a relative lack of cargo space and a maddeningly over-complicated instrument layout....

Continue at link: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-third-place

r0tor

Quote from: Atomic on August 17, 2011, 06:08:44 AM
are there any laws or inspection issues as to removing a front air-dam? never though about it in regards to a newer, luxurious SUV/crossover. another point: i don't think i would take my new durango, JGC, explorer or other new 'ute/x-over too deep into the trenches. a rugged jeep wrangler or wrangler unlimited? u bet  :ohyeah:

Nah, its just a hunk of plastic.  The crash bar is left in tact... Only difference is you see it then
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Atomic

like with many new and forthcoming vehicles prejudged (we all do it as enthusiasts), i simply "hated" the new explorer's looks. however, after holding back a bit and trying to reserve judgement, i have seen some really sweet looking 2011 explorer crossovers. there are some colors that i do not care for in this vehicle, like white. white? this is one of the few colors that makes the otherwise homely lincoln mkt look... well, attractive. much to my delight, the explorer looks FANTASTIC in "cinnamon", its actual name... and another new color "ginger ale". earthy and rugged colors seems to bring out the ruggedness and elegance in the explorer.

back to white, the jeep grand cherokee looks awesome in it, especially with its use of chrome, blackened windows and other trim. the durango? less so. due to the extra length, perhaps, it looks more like a "work truck" in stark white... pearl coats often make a difference with white, moving them from rental car like to really classy cars, trucks, etc.

ifcar

Second place: Ford Flex

QuoteDesigners of crossovers are typically faced with a fundamental decision: should this vehicle aim to look and feel like a car or a truck? With the Flex, Ford developed a vehicle that feels like an old-fashioned living room and looks like nothing else.

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-second-place

ifcar

First place:

QuoteIn some market classes, there's a vehicle that just feels like a winner. Hop in it after driving the competition, and you'll immediately sense where the others were lagging.

Consumers seeking a three-row crossover have no such luck. The vehicle that has pulled itself to the top, Mazda's CX-9, did so not by any particular outstanding trait as much as through an absence of glaring weaknesses. It's not a standout product for what it does particularly well as much as for what it doesn't do wrong...

Continued at link: http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-first-place