Toyota Yaris: $14,115

Started by 2o6, August 09, 2011, 04:28:48 PM

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 2o6 on August 18, 2011, 10:35:22 PM
Drive some cars in the class then come back.

Even so, if you don't find these cars attractive, why even post? I just feel like you're trying to equate a Yaris or similar to a 3-series.....two different cars for two different purposes. It's dumb to try and even compare.

For the record, the Yaris does have a few merits, (space and comfort), but it seems really lacking in comparison to the competition. Carryover engines and transmissions from the old car, and the platform is pretty much the same, too. But it's priced up against seemingly better cars in the segment.

I thought it was clear, I posted because I was right that it was either you or ifcar to post something about a Yaris.

2o6

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 18, 2011, 10:43:17 PM

I thought it was clear, I posted because I was right that it was either you or ifcar to post something about a Yaris.

You can clearly see that without opening the thread.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 2o6 on August 18, 2011, 10:43:58 PM

You can clearly see that without opening the thread.

If you click on the link from the mainstreamers, but not from the main page.

Sorry I criticized you. You clearly love these cheap little cars, and enthusiasm is nothing to scoff at.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 18, 2011, 08:51:11 PM
Wow, I guessed either 2o6 or ifcar made this post.

I couldn't care less about a piece of shit Yaris. I only clicked on the link to see if my suspicions of the creator of this topic were correct.

Yup, I called the car shit. If the next generation is like a Mini and it's suddenly fun to drive, you guys will have to let me know because this car will not peak my interest at any point.
Aside from it not being thrilling, what's wrong with it?

I'd rather pay $14K for this than an out of warranty Audi :huh:

2o6

3-door model.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/08/2012-toyota-yaris-new-photo-gallery-of.html

That 14K price is for a bog standard 3-door, 5MT model. If you want an automatic 5-door, expect to pay 17K.  :facepalm:

Tave

Are you sure you're reading that right? I think what it means is that the top trim 5-door automatic costs 17K. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't get a lower trim 5 door with an automatic for less.

The base Corolla 4-AT has an MSRP of $16,700 so it's hard to believe they would price the Yaris higher. If so, that's just retarted.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

3.0L V6

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2011, 09:25:59 AM
3-door model.

That 14K price is for a bog standard 3-door, 5MT model. If you want an automatic 5-door, expect to pay 17K.  :facepalm:

That's about par for the course. Adding an automatic to the Hyundai Accent costs $1,200; there's a reason why the automatic is almost always a separate line option, regardless of the trim.

FWIW, the Accent has a MSRP of $16.5k (as per Hyundai's build it yourself app), so it's not like Toyota's out in left field here with pricing.

2o6

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on August 19, 2011, 09:50:10 AM
That's about par for the course. Adding an automatic to the Hyundai Accent costs $1,200; there's a reason why the automatic is almost always a separate line option, regardless of the trim.

FWIW, the Accent has a MSRP of $16.5k (as per Hyundai's build it yourself app), so it's not like Toyota's out in left field here with pricing.

The Accent also has about 20 more HP, and a 6MT or 6AT.

3.0L V6

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2011, 10:01:51 AM

I think we've been over this terrain before.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Tave on August 19, 2011, 09:47:52 AM
The base Corolla 4-AT has an MSRP of $16,700 so it's hard to believe they would price the Yaris higher. If so, that's just retarted.

well, they are kinda doing that with the Scion IQ...

TBR

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 19, 2011, 10:13:49 AM
well, they are kinda doing that with the Scion IQ...

Yeah, but the iQ has a novelty factor, and it has an automatic transmission standard.

Quote from: TBR on August 19, 2011, 10:23:28 AM
The 3 door looks good.

It looks like the old car! That rear window looks like it came straight off the old Yaris! The A-pillar still has that same black dead panel in front of the door!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2011, 10:01:51 AM

Accent.  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 18, 2011, 08:51:11 PM
Wow, I guessed either 2o6 or ifcar made this post.

I couldn't care less about a piece of shit Yaris. I only clicked on the link to see if my suspicions of the creator of this topic were correct.

Yup, I called the car shit. If the next generation is like a Mini and it's suddenly fun to drive, you guys will have to let me know because this car will not peak my interest at any point.

When being elitist, be sure to use the correct word:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pique

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on August 19, 2011, 10:26:57 AM
Yeah, but the iQ has a novelty factor, and it has an automatic transmission standard.

It looks like the old car! That rear window looks like it came straight off the old Yaris! The A-pillar still has that same black dead panel in front of the door!

Profiles are similar, but the fascias are better, particularly the front one.

Excited to see if the Rio is half as good of a car as it looks. The Sonic is just not visually appealing at all to me.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 19, 2011, 09:17:39 AM
Aside from it not being thrilling, what's wrong with it?

I'd rather pay $14K for this than an out of warranty Audi :huh:

That's precisely what's wrong with it. If it's going to be little and light, it should also be loads of fun to drive which it sounds as if it isn't. I like to drive cars, so if they are no fun to drive I won't like it. It just so happens that most of Toyota's product line fits in that category.

I'm sure there are a lot of other cars you'd rather pay $14k for also.

2o6

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 19, 2011, 10:16:31 PM

That's precisely what's wrong with it. If it's going to be little and light, it should also be loads of fun to drive which it sounds as if it isn't. I like to drive cars, so if they are no fun to drive I won't like it. It just so happens that most of Toyota's product line fits in that category.

So then go and buy a Mini Cooper or a Fiat 500....?

For people who don't give a shit about such things, like, I don't know, the majority of the drivers on the road, this thing's fine. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it either, but it should be fine for the purpose it's supposed to serve.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 19, 2011, 10:16:31 PM

There's a difference between "piece of shit" and "isn't something I'd buy."

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 19, 2011, 11:00:44 PM
So then go and buy a Mini Cooper or a Fiat 500....?

For people who don't give a shit about such things, like, I don't know, the majority of the drivers on the road, this thing's fine. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it either, but it should be fine for the purpose it's supposed to serve.

I agree

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: ifcar on August 19, 2011, 11:12:32 PM
There's a difference between "piece of shit" and "isn't something I'd buy."

An opinion is what it is.

For what it's worth, GM doesn't even offer cars with 4-speed automatic transmissions anymore.  That fact alone makes it hard not to think it's shitty.

What exactly is it better than?