Project SE

Started by Run Away, September 28, 2005, 03:08:54 PM

Run Away

You'd find much better condition/priced cars even in Michigan I'd think.

The used car market here is pretty expensive, I'd be selling for at least $3000, saftied.

JYODER240

What made you so interested in Preludes?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Run Away

My first one basically.

I didn't know anything about the car when I bought it. Just that it looked good, had low mileage and compared to the other cars I was looking at it was in much better shape. The only other car that came close was an '89 240SX, but it had 390,000kms on the clock.

Raghavan

QuoteMy first one basically.
No, it's because you're a ricer. :rolleyes:

:lol:
*runs away just incase*

Run Away

*runs away just incase*
Die.

Raghavan

*runs away just incase*
Die.
:mellow:

280Z Turbo

I didn't know anything about the car when I bought it. Just that it looked good, had low mileage and compared to the other cars I was looking at it was in much better shape. The only other car that came close was an '89 240SX, but it had 390,000kms on the clock.
Oh, what could have been...    ;)

Run Away

With the exception of straight-line acceleration (which is very close), the Prelude does everything better.

280Z Turbo

I hate to sound like Rag here, but it's hard to beat RWD driving dynamics.

Don't get me wrong, the Prelude is a great car (I'm considering one for my next daily driver) but I just think the S13 would be more fun. It probably has a bigger aftermarket too (it's not like you would keep it stock anyway!).

On the other hand, Preludes generally don't come with the peeling paint and history of abuse that plagues S13s. I'm not even looking into S13s because of that.

Raghavan

I probably would've gone with the Lude because of the lower miles for the cost, but in the end, I would've ditched it to look for a RWD car. I've got my eye on a 240SX on Autotrader for 3.5k that's about 30 miles from my house. :praise:

Run Away

I've droven both, and while RWD vs FWD dynamics and driving styles are different, the Prelude IMO is more rewarding to the driver in the way it responds and communicates.

Admittedly, I havn't driven a 240SX anywhere near as hard as my Prelude.
If I would have gotten that 240SX, I probably would have totalled it when winter came. I'm also wondering if I would have learned as much with a 240. Besides, everyone has a lightly modded 240SX around here, it's hard to be different. Even with Preludes, I'm finding that I've changed my plans due to what another local 3rd gen owner has done with his car.

But both platforms arn't capable of getting to the performance level I eventually want to get to, though with a 240 I probably would have stuck to it longer before moving on.

Run Away

QuoteI probably would've gone with the Lude because of the lower miles for the cost, but in the end, I would've ditched it to look for a RWD car. I've got my eye on a 240SX on Autotrader for 3.5k that's about 30 miles from my house. :praise:
Yes, I've said it many times before; in the situation I was in, with the info I knew, the Prelude was a far better buy at the time.

And I certainly don't regret doing what I did, so all is good.

Raghavan

QuoteI probably would've gone with the Lude because of the lower miles for the cost, but in the end, I would've ditched it to look for a RWD car. I've got my eye on a 240SX on Autotrader for 3.5k that's about 30 miles from my house. :praise:
Yes, I've said it many times before; in the situation I was in, with the info I knew, the Prelude was a far better buy at the time.

And I certainly don't regret doing what I did, so all is good.
I'm saying that it was a good buy, but i wouldn't have bought so many. Not ragging on what you did though. Sounds like fun. :rockon:  

280Z Turbo

I'm sure you would have done fine with a well balanced RWD car, even with all seasons.

If I can drive through 2 Michigan winters with a 2WD, long box Ford Ranger on cheap, worn all seasons then you surely could have managed an S13. My dad had done about 17 winters in that truck before me with no accidents.

I've found that the rear end only steps out when I want it to, even with a huge front weight bias. I've found that FWD cars are scarier in the winter due to their tendency to "plow" or understeer in the turns. The only real problem with RWD is getting started.

Raghavan

I drove a couple RWD cars in some snow. Good times. :praise:
Just turn sharply and give it the boot. Tail out action power time!!!!1!:praise:
too bad it doesn't snow here. Hell, even biking would be fun. :lol:

Run Away

It's not the fact that RWD would be too hard to drive in the winter, I would just drive to fast and probably end up over several curbs, as I did with the red car, only worse.

FWD is just more forgiving.

280Z Turbo

QuoteI drove a couple RWD cars in some snow. Good times. :praise:
Just turn sharply and give it the boot. Tail out action power time!!!!1!:praise:
You do that and you'll end up dying in a ditch. Oh, and...VIDEO GAMES DON'T COUNT!

You can tell where the limit is, you just can't be stupid. No WOT into a corner, no WOT at all, in fact!

Raghavan

You do that and you'll end up dying in a ditch. Oh, and...VIDEO GAMES DON'T COUNT!

You can tell where the limit is, you just can't be stupid. No WOT into a corner, no WOT at all, in fact!
No, i did that in an empty snow covered parking lot. :praise:  

JYODER240

Exactly, if you so much as breath on the gas pedal it will usually break the rear end loose... this winter is going to be interesting :ph34r:  

280Z Turbo

Exactly, if you so much as breath on the gas pedal it will usually break the rear end loose... this winter is going to be interesting :ph34r:
Maybe for someone with performance 245s mounted on the back of his car. :hammerhead:

We've kinda strayed off topic here. Sorry Ben!

JYODER240

Maybe for someone with performance 245s mounted on the back of his car. :hammerhead:

We've kinda strayed off topic here. Sorry Ben!
I'll definently be getting some snow tires for it.

Rupert

So, like, why is this still a sticky?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

I could replace this with a thread about rebuilding this Honda instead:

We're rebuilding it this winter.