Help me pick out a potential new car

Started by dazzleman, August 16, 2011, 07:54:07 PM

Which cars should I consider when I decide to get a new car?

BMW 5-series
2 (5.9%)
Audi A6
10 (29.4%)
Audi A7
8 (23.5%)
Infiniti G-37
4 (11.8%)
Other (please specify)
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

68_427

Also the engine is different from the F430.  Juss saying.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 68_427 on October 15, 2011, 09:08:11 PM
Nobody really knows, and that's half the reason people are scared as well.

So you have no reasonable estimate? How about $2000, maybe $4000?

My point is that you can compare a low maintenance new 5-series or whatever for $57,000 to a higher cost Maserati--or something awesome like it--for $52,000, depending on your maintenance estimate.

When comparing cars for $50-60k, you have an unbelievable quantity of amazing options and it's positively stupid to ignore some of the very best options because they may theoretically not be as reliable as the other, newer options if you are an enthusiast like we are.

68_427

These are from the Maserati forum.

Quote1. 6,500 mile service (oil change, lube job, general service items, including material and labor) $ 745.00

2. 12,500 mile service (lube, oil and filter change, general service items, plus CHANGE OF CLUTCH, CHANGE ALL TIRES) $ 9,800

3. 18000 mile service (first "big" service, changing all fluids, filters, ...) $ 2,700

QuoteSomeone did the math previously on this forum and they estimated the cost to be $1.50 a mile including maintenance and gas.

Probably not a bad number to work with.
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 15, 2011, 09:06:07 PM

How much do you think it will cost to maintain over 4 years and 40,000 miles?

I'm not exactly sure; I'd have to guess way more than a BMW or MB, and any kind of repair such as a starter motor or a brake job has got to be eye watering.

Rupert

Jesus. $10,500 is a lot for yearly maintenance.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Also the people on that site get really excited about getting 20mpg highway.  lol
'racecar is die'
no

Lebowski

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 15, 2011, 09:24:48 PM

So you have no reasonable estimate? How about $2000, maybe $4000?

I'd say significantly more than that, but the point is moot as I'd be a lot more worried about the odd high-dollar out of warranty repair than predictable/routine maintenance.

Then there's the convenience factor - most people spending $50-$60k on a car are sufficiently busy with work/life that they don't want to deal with potential problems.

Onslaught

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 15, 2011, 09:24:48 PM

When comparing cars for $50-60k, you have an unbelievable quantity of amazing options and it's positively stupid to ignore some of the very best options because they may theoretically not be as reliable as the other, newer options if you are an enthusiast like we are.
Just because your an enthusiast doesn't mean you take unnecessary risks.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on October 16, 2011, 08:05:58 AM
I'd say significantly more than that, but the point is moot as I'd be a lot more worried about the odd high-dollar out of warranty repair than predictable/routine maintenance.

Then there's the convenience factor - most people spending $50-$60k on a car are sufficiently busy with work/life that they don't want to deal with potential problems.

Absolutely.  I love driving, but not working on cars, or spending a lot of time and money taking them in for service.  And I have no intention of spending $10K per year on car maintenance.  No car is worth that to me.

I have no patience with cars that break down a lot.  After a couple of times, I'd get rid of the car.  When I get into the car and push the start button, I want it to go, no drama.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on October 16, 2011, 08:13:33 AM
Absolutely.  I love driving, but not working on cars, or spending a lot of time and money taking them in for service.  And I have no intention of spending $10K per year on car maintenance.  No car is worth that to me.

I have no patience with cars that break down a lot.  After a couple of times, I'd get rid of the car.  When I get into the car and push the start button, I want it to go, no drama.
I'm the same way. If a car starts having problems then it will be gone ASAP. I work on that shit all day and the last fucking thing I want to do in my off time is work on another car. And one that I have to pay for and not get paid working on.
I sold my truck when the alternator went bad I had working on them that much.

Colonel Cadillac

It's at least worth the discussion and consideration, no? Carspin has gotten into this habit of immediately dismissing cars based on maintenance reputations without considering the other values the car has to offer, and I think this habit should be curtailed to some degree.

$10k is a lot.

ifcar

It has now been discussed. But quite simply, there's a reason that car has lost so much of its value, and the reason is not that no one likes the idea of owning a Maserati.

Lebowski

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 16, 2011, 11:26:34 AM
It's at least worth the discussion and consideration, no? Carspin has gotten into this habit of immediately dismissing cars based on maintenance reputations without considering the other values the car has to offer, and I think this habit should be curtailed to some degree.

$10k is a lot.

I love the quattroporte, one of my friends down here has one and it's a beautiful car inside and out. Not sure how his luck has been wrt reliability.

But Dave seems more practical, and it seems he wants a new car partly for convenience reasons. If he's going to consider an '07, he might as well just save the money and keep his 5er, which isn't exactly a high mileage car itself and is a known quantity.

Colonel Cadillac

I never really thought he would take it seriously, but still worth talking about. You never know, the lightbulb could light up!

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 16, 2011, 12:54:08 PM
I never really thought he would take it seriously, but still worth talking about. You never know, the lightbulb could light up!

:lol:
I really REALLY had a ton of money, I would definitely go for a car like that.  But I'm comfortable, not filthy rich, and I have to work within some practical framework.  I'd love to have a car collection if I were rich enough.  But I need to satisfy myself with a collection of sneakers instead... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

My dad had a sneaker phase around your age too :lol:

We do need more practical people in this country... :ohyeah:

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 16, 2011, 01:13:15 PM
My dad had a sneaker phase around your age too :lol:

We do need more practical people in this country... :ohyeah:

Did he really?   :lol:  That's hilarious.  I thought I was the only one!  But then, I've always been a sneakerhead.  I could own 100 pairs.

I just want to make sure I can take care of myself through retirement before I blow a lot of money.  I've been doing much better vacations the last two years, and given my schedule and inability to drive that much anyway, I think traveling would bring me more satisfaction than a car I can rarely drive.

Laconian

I agree.

Sometimes I think "hmm, this TSX needs more power" but my commute is only 5mi and very slow. The HUD always says something stupid like "AVERAGE SPEED: 17mph".

Shit, I've even been thinking "an electric car would be pretty sweet for my commute..." How unthusiast is that? :banghead:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on October 16, 2011, 01:28:57 PM
I agree.

Sometimes I think "hmm, this TSX needs more power" but my commute is only 5mi and very slow. The HUD always says something stupid like "AVERAGE SPEED: 17mph".

Shit, I've even been thinking "an electric car would be pretty sweet for my commute..." How unthusiast is that? :banghead:

I just wrote a comment about electric cars on automotive.com.  I'm not convinced that they're better ecologically.  What happens to all the toxic chemicals in those big batteries that they use?  And what happens to the power grid if they become too popular and demand for power goes through the roof?  They're the current feel-good thing for hypocritical ecological yuppies who want to feel good about themselves as they pillage the planet.

Laconian

1) Not a problem - the batteries can be completely recycled.
2) Power grid is no problem here. We have hydro power, and lots of it. If there's one thing that this region has in spades, it's water.

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on October 16, 2011, 01:32:10 PM
I just wrote a comment about electric cars on automotive.com.  I'm not convinced that they're better ecologically.  What happens to all the toxic chemicals in those big batteries that they use?  And what happens to the power grid if they become too popular and demand for power goes through the roof?  They're the current feel-good thing for hypocritical ecological yuppies who want to feel good about themselves as they pillage the planet.

Pun intended?

Colonel Cadillac

Because the electric car's cost per mile (vs gasoline) is much lower, I imagine the use of energy resources is more efficient as well (getting the power from the local power plant).

dazzleman

Rich

Hey Dave, think about how much closer to retirement you'd be if you bought a lightly used midsise car like the previous gen Mazda 6.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 16, 2011, 01:57:54 PM
Hey Dave, think about how much closer to retirement you'd be if you bought a lightly used midsise car like the previous gen Mazda 6.

That would definitely save some money, but probably not enough to make a big difference.

Laconian

Trans Am. It'd cost you a pittance and you'd feel like a rebel.

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on October 16, 2011, 01:59:09 PM
Trans Am. It'd cost you a pittance and you'd feel like a rebel.

That's so....um, 30 years ago.... :lol:  I already tried that in high school (Firebird, not Trans Am).

I may aspire to be a rebel, but I'm also a snob.  The Trans Am at this point is way too low on the social scale for me.... :lol:

Plus, they drive so crappy that I couldn't even do any really good speeding in one of them, compared to what I have now.... :devil:

dazzleman

CJ

Quote from: dazzleman on October 16, 2011, 02:05:56 PM
The XC90 is my favorite SUV, and if I were looking for an SUV, I'd probably get one.  But I really want a sedan.

So get an S80 T6.  300+ HP, AWD, and a very nice interior.