Help me pick out a potential new car

Started by dazzleman, August 16, 2011, 07:54:07 PM

Which cars should I consider when I decide to get a new car?

BMW 5-series
2 (5.9%)
Audi A6
10 (29.4%)
Audi A7
8 (23.5%)
Infiniti G-37
4 (11.8%)
Other (please specify)
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Raza

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 18, 2011, 02:36:32 PM
The drivers of the G35/37s seem like the privileged boy-racer types around here, but beyond that I don't have enough observation to have much of an opinion about them. Infiniti's more expensive luxury cars and SUVs do not seem to sell well here. They're probably the least common "large" luxury brand I see around here, despite the dealership's heavy advertising.

Yeah, I wasn't aware Infiniti sold anything but Gs.  I know they have other models for sale, but no one buys them. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on August 18, 2011, 03:08:14 PM
Yeah, I wasn't aware Infiniti sold anything but Gs.  I know they have other models for sale, but no one buys them. 

^The other popular model.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

Quote from: ifcar on August 18, 2011, 03:12:35 PM
^The other popular model.
I guess they sell them since everytime I drive by there are several on their lot, but I never see them actually on the road. Everyone seems to drive Range Rovers, Escalades, and more Range Rovers in that price bracket here.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on August 18, 2011, 02:43:57 PM
Besides, the Genesis isn't remotely sporty.  I don't understand the love affair people on here have with it.

It's a relatively inexpensive vehicle for what you get.  You pretty much have a vehicle that would potentially sell for 50% more if it was a luxury marque with the same equipment.  On top of that, instead of the crooked Honda wanna-be logo, you get the imitation Bentley logo in the back instead so  people won't know you're actually driving a Hyundai.  On the Exterior, it looks like a cross between a Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes Benz... you have a collage of cars..

NomisR

What about a x6 M?  I'm seeing quite a few of those.. they're starting to look good.

93JC

No, no they are not. They looked stupid to begin with and they will always look stupid. Get your eyes checked.

ifcar

Quote from: NomisR on August 18, 2011, 03:16:08 PM
It's a relatively inexpensive vehicle for what you get.  You pretty much have a vehicle that would potentially sell for 50% more if it was a luxury marque with the same equipment.  On top of that, instead of the crooked Honda wanna-be logo, you get the imitation Bentley logo in the back instead so  people won't know you're actually driving a Hyundai.  On the Exterior, it looks like a cross between a Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes Benz... you have a collage of cars..

The special badge is actually a dealer-installed option. It comes with a Hyundai logo from the factory.

NomisR

Quote from: ifcar on August 18, 2011, 03:35:24 PM
The special badge is actually a dealer-installed option. It comes with a Hyundai logo from the factory.

Oh, that I didn't know.. I guess most of the Genesis owners I saw didn't want people to know they're driving a Hyundai then... makes sense.

thewizard16

Quote from: NomisR on August 18, 2011, 03:39:42 PM
Oh, that I didn't know.. I guess most of the Genesis owners I saw didn't want people to know they're driving a Hyundai then... makes sense.
I saw one on the highway yesterday that had the weird logo and it was the first like that I'd seen. The Genesis seems pretty popular, but I guess most of them around here brandish the regular H. Probably varies a lot from dealer to dealer too on how they push the car.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Quote from: thewizard16 on August 18, 2011, 03:56:45 PM
I saw one on the highway yesterday that had the weird logo and it was the first like that I'd seen. The Genesis seems pretty popular, but I guess most of them around here brandish the regular H. Probably varies a lot from dealer to dealer too on how they push the car.

Right, I'm sure most of the badges are installed before the customer even sees the car.

hotrodalex

I saw that a couple of weeks ago and assumed it was a new thing for 2011 models or something.

Colonel Cadillac

2o6

Payman

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

Quote from: ifcar on August 18, 2011, 03:35:24 PM

Ingredients:
One hot air gun
Some fishing line or dental floss
3M Glue Remover
Result: Debadged goodness.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 19, 2011, 07:02:24 AM
Ingredients:
One hot air gun
Some fishing line or dental floss
3M Glue Remover
Result: Debadged goodness.

And you may be left with 2 holes in the back.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 17, 2011, 05:57:32 PM
I recommend a DAF 600: classic lines, boxer engine, CVT transmission, celebration of your Dutch heritage.

Let's see. Dazzleman is of Dutch descent so that means a DAF is a good choice. At the same time the brand "Volvo" was mentioned.

No problem.

Volvo 66 - based on the DAF 66.  :lol:

Or better yet, get that Citroen CX behind it.  :praise:

And "66" also coincides with his current age, right?  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 19, 2011, 10:45:10 AM

And "66" also coincides with his current age, right?  :devil:

I actually have a friend with a brother almost as old as Dave.  :mask:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 19, 2011, 10:45:10 AM
Let's see. Dazzleman is of Dutch descent so that means a DAF is a good choice. At the same time the brand "Volvo" was mentioned.

Volvo 66 - based on the DAF 66.  :lol:

That is indeed a handsome beast.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

What about an Audi S4?  7 speed dual clutch.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Mustangfan2003

I just hope you get something dazzling

68_427

CTS-V

You know you want a black or classy pearlescent white one.  Fuck the imports.  You don't drive much, so you might as well have something really fucking cool/awesome/badass.

'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 68_427 on August 19, 2011, 07:47:35 PM
CTS-V

You know you want a black or classy pearlescent white one.  Fuck the imports.  You don't drive much, so you might as well have something really fucking cool/awesome/badass.

Nice.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Quote from: 68_427 on August 19, 2011, 08:03:30 PM
wat
I think you were around 9 years old at the time, which is about the right mental age for PMC's shenanigans ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll come back with comments in the next couple of days.  Lots going on.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

68_427

Do you have a little time off from work?  I hope at some point I can car shop and just go drive everything.
'racecar is die'
no